Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Krippled Anchovy for Striper?
First of all.. I'M BACK! I took a prolonged hiatus but I'm back and hopefully can start landing some fish.

So here's the deal... I've never caught a striper. I've tried many a time but I believe my issue is coming from possibly using the wrong size / type of hook combined with my anchovy not staying on my hook long enough to catch anything.

While looking around online I found something I think would help, but I'll have to order it online since the bait shops in this area of the country don't sell them. It's called the Krippled Anchovy. There are a couple different set up options using a J hook and a Treble hook, or just 2 Treble hooks; but the concept is the same.

How do you guys think these would fair either drop shot-ed or fished bottom from shore?

Here are the rigging instructions: http://www.krippled.ca/recreation/anchovy1.htm
[signature]
This one looks a little more sturdy
[signature]
Cut all that stuff off and start over.

If you want to catch Stripers keep it simple.
1/4 oz Jighead with a chunk of Anchovy, no head or tail.

Or use a Carolina rig with 1 oz weight and a 2/0 bait hook.

Don't forget about the live Shad too.

Come to a Nevada Striper Club or a weigh-in.
Check out our website for more info. Next meeting is 6-12-14 at Bass Pro Shop
[signature]
Thank you for the reply.

Do those riggings work fishing "sit and wait" style from shore?

and

How do you hook the chunk of anchovy to get it to stay on the hook and not fly off when you cast or it hits the water?
[signature]
Hook the Anchovy sideways right thru the middle.
From shore use line 10 pound and smaller jigheads like 1/16 to 1/8 ounce.

Also chum a lot like 10 bags of bait. every 1/2 hour cut up a bag of bait into pieces. Toss the small chunks into the water. Corn works too.

Summer is great for night fishing and chum till they come technique works great.

Even when you start catching fish you still need to chum them.
[signature]
Well, corn is a lot cheaper than bags of anchovies [Tongue]

I think I might get an old blender and mix up an anchovy smoothie of sorts to chum the water. That way there's nothing substantial for the fish to eat when they show up other than the big chunk of meat on your hook [fishon]
[signature]
Good luck I have smoked many blenders
[signature]
I have used these many times while slowly trolling, I have been successful. I don't think my success was any more than any other way I fished for Stripers. But they did work from time to time.
[signature]
Are you using thawed anchovy/sardine? The one thing I didn't see Iamthsmf mention is the temp of the bait. Keep your bait frozen!!!! It will stay on long enough even after it hits the water and if you wait too long, change it out, they didn't like that one,lol. Good Luck!!
[signature]