Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mohave Memorial Weekend
Spent the long weekend with some friends down in Bullhead, we were able to get in two good fishing sessions before the wind and boat traffic became too much of a headache to deal with. Friday night we got on the water at 5:30 pm, launched out of Kathrine’s Landing and jammed north about 6 miles. Fished the west side of the lake hitting submerged trees and rocky points. In two hours had 12+ SMB make it into the boat. Largest came in at 3lbs but most of the fish were 1lb range. Steady action throwing drop shot Senko’s and imitation craw. Wind started picking up so we had to wrap things up. Saturday morning we were back on the water at by 6am. Launched out of princess cove and went back up to the same area we hit the day prior. I have no idea what my issue was but I lost soo many fish. Just could not set the hook and was getting them spit back at me on way too many casts. We still managed to land 14 SMB and 1 LMB in just over two hours. Pretty sure I lost about 10 at the boat, several in the 3lb range. We ended up off the water by 9:30 to avoid the chaos and crowds. Overall a great weekend on the water, the fish were very active and aggressive. Carp have taken over the shallow parts of most coves and it looks like they pushed the bass out. Any tree line or brush facing open water seemed to hold fish. No pics this go around though, was on a mental vacation and decided to leave my phone in the truck for some peace and quiet.
[signature]
Awesome! Gonna have to make another trip down there one of these days.
[signature]
Its worth the drive. The action was significantly better then what I have seen at mead lately. We will probably hit cottonwood soon to test the waters out in that area. Very little fishing pressure down at the south end of the lake. Downside is the boat traffic, it does get a little crowded but for the most part everyone we came across was polite. I can do without all the jet ski's though.
[signature]
Boat and Ski traffic is one thing... Getting ones boat out of the water at that busy azz ramp is a whole different story when one is the driver of both the tow vehicle and boat. Did that once (the Saturday/weekend before Memorial weekend last year) at Katherines and not really into doing it again ever. What a nightmare. Plus there was a random all boats "safety" check going on just to add to the fun that one time. I'd launch from Cottonwood and just burn the boat gas going to the south end before ever launching out of the south end again.
[signature]
Oh yeah the traffic at Kathrines is nuts, we got lucky Friday though but thats why we moved to Princess cove to launch Saturday. On a normal weekend that ramp wouldnt be bad. When we were coming and going at most there were two vehicles lined up and the dock is long enough to put a couple boats on each side. The fish were plentiful from Princess north to about where the mountain range on the west side ends, so probably not a bad ride down on a boat like yours. My pontoon will motor around 25 mph but i dont have much of a tank so try not to get on long excursions.

Luckily I have trained my lady to get the boat off the trailer and back on so its not as bad as going by yourself. Although when she loaded on Saturday came in a little too hot and bounced my truck forward a good 6 inches.

It was comical though, you get all these California knuckle heads on the river over the weekend and they dont know the rive drops a ton overnight. When we were heading out on Sat morning there were a couple of ski boat resting on the ground about 30 ft out of the water. Pretty sure they sat there half the day until they increased the outflow from the dam.
[signature]
Billy,

Is it still gravel road to Princess Cove?

those beached boats...must have been opposite the Laughlin Strip?

Thanks for the report
[signature]
All paved road going into Princess cove and launch area. Only down side is the ramp is steep, calves we burning on the way up but luckily a short walk compared to callville.

Yeah the boats were set up in the Camp davis area on the east side of the river just north of the bridge.
[signature]
at callville i always launched my boat, went and parked the trailer up top than drove back down. that hill is ridiculous especially with the water as low as it is right now
[signature]