Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Low Water Maps
[quote catfish77]The question I have is will crappie and other fish stay around the humps once the spawn is over?[/quote]

[#0000FF]Yes...sometimes. Whenever I launch at the north marina in my tube I have a number of different spots I search out...including several of those "humps and bumps". There isn't much structure or change in the bottom contours in Willard so what there is tends to attract fish that like structure. But, if there is not any food around...or the depth or temperatures are not to their liking...they will keep moving until they find what they are looking for.

On the flip side, there are often spots a bit deeper than average on either side of some of those high spots...especially if the humps were created by machines digging up earth to make them. I have had days when the pattern was to fish the troughs in between the humps.

There is one small hump almost straight out from the mouth of the channel that often holds a few wipers during the late summer. It attracts small shad after the spawn and after they have grown a bit. And the shad attract wipers. There have been a couple of days in the past when it has produced several wipers (and walleyes) for me when I couldn't find them anywhere else between the marina and the north dike. I have a picture somewhere that I took while standing on top of that hump...way out from the marina...with my empty tube floating (tethered) a few feet in front of me.

I am attaching a picture of one of the small rock piles straight out from Eagle Beach. It emerged just enough for a picture when Willard was dropped for the dike repairs a few years ago. And it was only a foot or so under water...with no marker buoy...before the water came up a bit this spring. That rock pile took out an idiot ski boat that was buzzing me one trip. Kinda fond of it...both for the "retribution" and for a few nice fish I have found around it over the years.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
"So - TD - were these time-lapse Googles, or what?"

[#0000FF]There is a button on the toolbar at the top of Google Earth that allows you to look at "Historical Imagery". It is the eighth button from the right side of that row of buttons. If you click on it a slide bar appears in the upper left corner of the area you are currently viewing. You click and drag the pointer back along that bar until you find a date in the past you wish to see. The image of the area on your screen will change to show that.

[inline CURRENT.jpg]

[inline 2004.jpg]

I know that 2004 was the last year of the last drought so that will be when all of the lakes will be at their lowest points since....? It is interesting to check your fave puddles to see the changes.

And you thought I had a time machine or sumpin.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I do believe that's the spot, TD. Except that you misnamed it, of course. It should be Rocky's Atoll.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]I do believe that's the spot, TD. Except that you misnamed it, of course. It should be Rocky's Atoll.[/quote]

[#0000FF]Call it whatever you wish.

I don't mind "A-toll".
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat,

fnf[cool]
[signature]