Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple of uninvited Memorial day guests
So I went and hit the SF river over memorial day weekend, caught a few fish, and had a couple of uninvited guests. The first one was a very large beaver that popped up in one of the pools I was fishing on Saturday evening. The second one was a sucker that bore a striking resemblance to Wilford Brimley. Smile I caught that one on Monday afternoon. I would have kept it for catfish bait, but I wasn't positive that it wasn't a june sucker. I'm still trying to figure out why it would chase down a gulp minnow, because that's what it did. I thought it was just a small trout until I got it out of the water.

I'm pretty sure it was just a utah sucker, but I didn't want to bring down the wrath of <insert scary name here> if it was a junie.

Matt
[signature]
Thanks for the report. It is always cool to see a beaver in the wild. As far as the sucker goes, looks like a common Utah sucker to me but from the size of it, it needs to grow up anyway[Wink].
[signature]
I had a similar experience where a sucker hammered a swimbait. I was fishing The Bear River up in Idaho and when I saw it was long and brownish, I figured it was a walleye or brown trout at first. Definitely a surprise.
[signature]
Junie or not, you can't keep suckers from the Spanish Fork River.

From the current guidebook:

Quote:Carp are the only nongame fish you may take in the following waters:

• Spanish Fork River

There are other places where you can only keep carp, but I just copied the part that mentions the Spanish Fork River.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
[quote Fishrmn]Junie or not, you can't keep suckers from the Spanish Fork River.

From the current guidebook:

Quote:Carp are the only nongame fish you may take in the following waters:

• Spanish Fork River

There are other places where you can only keep carp, but I just copied the part that mentions the Spanish Fork River.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000ff]>[/#8000ff][/quote]

Yeah, I know. But it sounds more dramatic to his friends when he gets back to the bottom of the river the way I told it. Near-death experiences are much more exciting when mistaken-identity is involved. Smile

We did catch a bunch of browns and a couple of cutthroats. The biggest one brown was about 16" long. We kept 4 total for dinner. We filleted them and the fillets are frozen waiting for a couple more to join them.

Matt
[signature]
Glad you did well, and had some fun.
Just hoping nobody keeps suckers from there, thinking it's okay as long as they're not Junies.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]