Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling for advice
Man I feel that I am learning a new language. I have had my new to me boat out five times this year. I have had real decent luck in the past fishing both bait and lures. I have been at Magic twice and Walcott once and trolled. I have tried trolling flat and quick fish, spinners, and rapallas at various speeds. My daughter caught one fish at Magic on a flatfish with a one ounce weight. Other than that it has been pretty dry. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I do not have down riggers and have been using inline trolling weights and jet divers. Any trolling gurus out there? Any trolling advice in general or specific advice for Magic and or Walcott would be appreciated.
[signature]

[signature]
If your trolling for trout get leaded line.6 foot fluorocarbon leader. Then get a assortment of needlefish ,tripleteasers,ex-el lures. Troll them 2 -2.5 mph . Get ready to get tired of filleting.[fishin]
[signature]
Thanks B-N-G. Do you recommend using pop-gear, dodgers, flashers, etc. Or is the lure sufficient?
[signature]
Just the lure.
[signature]
Sometime speed can be a big factor in whether you get fish or not. Just this last weekend at Henrys we were pulling a skunk and started to up our speed a bit to try something new and then it was fish on for the next several hours. If your failing, just switch up somethings your doing just to test it out: speed, colors, depths, time of day.
[signature]
Thanks for the tips fellas. Have a couple days free this week and am going to hit both Walcott and Magic.
[signature]
Been to Walcott bass fishing several times and the fellas trolling for trout are using rapalas and shad raps. The deepest part of the place is 38 ft, no need for deep stuff. When I was kid we trolled popgear with worms at magic. Just trolling a wooly worm works too.
[signature]
Day in, day out, I believe pop gear...Jack Lloyd is my favorite...with a wedding ring and about an inch of night crawler will equal or outproduce the hardware. We had good luck with flies at Magic, but the pop gear kept up. Also, you will get greater depth that way. As stated above, lead core is the way to go. Then, start saving your pennies for a down rigger or two. You can get some nice Penn manuals on Ebay for 75-100, and we can debate all the brands, but the Penn lasts forever. I have one that is almost 50 years old and has never had an issue. By the way, others were catching trout at Magic when we were there, but we were fishing a bit deeper and def. slower than the others, and although their catch rate was a bit better, we were catching much larger trout. Good luck, Mike
[signature]
On way to vary your speed is to have the poles off to the sides of the boat and make "S" curves. The pole on the inside will slow down and sink some and the outside will speed up and rise. Keep all debris off the line and lure. I use just the lure and 6lb line at Henry's to get maximum fight. Use a lure to match what the fish are eating at times and use larger lures most of the time. Change lures (style or colors) every 10 minuets until something works. Sometimes it is all spoons, spinners, flat fish or fish imitation or a combination of each where one is running faster and the other is running slower.
[signature]
Thanks for all the tips all the way around. Will hit the tackle shop and give it a try this week.
[signature]