Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another Willard report
Kory, Randy and I fished Willard yesterday. Had to wait a few minutes for the gate to automatically open, at 6:00 AM, at the north marina. Got launched and was going to try the now-famous crappie spot outside of the marina, but alas the wind was just too strong to effectively fish for them.

Started heading towards the island trolling for walleye and wiper. Kory and Randy picked up an occasional one as we proceeded south. Got in the parade of boats trolling west of the island and picked up a couple walleye there. I decided it was not fun fishing with so many other boats, so I headed south again.

I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to catch a fish when I finally hooked up. Landed the largest perch I have ever caught, at 13 inches. We picked up a few more fish in the area and then started trolling towards the west dike. No action for awhile until something strong hit my pole and broke off my should-be-replaced-soon line. The planer board was still attached so we motored back and retrieved it, to only have the fish break off for a second time.

Pulled in the lines and motored over to the west dike. Using the electric trolling motor, we slowly headed north casting jigs along the west dike. I was surprised to see the water so low that none of the large rocks were in the water. Only Kory caught anything along the west dike -- a smallmouth bass.

Reeled in again and motored close to the light pole. Threw out the trolling lines again and we trolled about 1/2 of the way across without so much as a nibble. I told Randy it was ok if he wanted to troll away from the dike. He did so, and after only traveling a short distance we came across an active school of wipers, with an occasional walleye thrown it. They were still hitting when we had to leave around 3:30.

Fun day, with great fishing friends, especially after I finally started catching my share of fish.
[signature]
Sounds like a fun day..
[signature]
Sorry but I was unable to call you when I got home. I really wanted to check out your sale.
[signature]
That was fun fishing. Caught my first wiper and three times as many walleye in one day as I have ever caught in my entire life.
[signature]
What was the main lures you got your fish on??
[signature]
Rattle traps and Rapala's. In various shades of white, grey and blue.
[signature]
Great report Kent. Sounds like a great day.
[signature]
Nice report Kent, what was the total number of fish you three caught?
[signature]
Only Randy kept an accurate count of the number of fish that he caught (like he always does). I would estimate around 30 fish total.
[signature]
Willard has turned into my one of my favorite places to fish. I need to learn to catch walleye up on Deer Creek since it is just 20 minutes away. I am just wondering why the same trolling techniques would work on the walleye in Deer Creek.

Got to say, I love the picture of the King Salmon. That has to be a Kenai River King? Sure looks like the Kenai River in the background. Is that hot spotting. LOL!
[signature]
Hey outfishing, same sentiment here. I been doing pretty well at Willard the last week or two, but live just 30 mins from DC. I caught one up there last week on a bottom bouncer, but that was it. I have not been able to crack the code on the DC walleye. If I figure anything out, I'll let you know.
[signature]
[quote Outfishing13]Got to say, I love the picture of the King Salmon. That has to be a Kenai River King? Sure looks like the Kenai River in the background. Is that hot spotting. LOL![/quote]

Yes that is a king from the Kenai and no it isn't hot spotting since I already posted about it [Wink].
[signature]