Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glow Sticks?
My bordom at work has brought me past the BFT website to Ebay today. I am now wondering what people think about 1 1/2 inch glow sticks, as a attractant for icefishing??? I am thinking a green glowstick rigged with a sinker for the bouyancy aspect and finding a way to attach it to the line. Am I up in the night, or am I on to something???
[signature]
I think your on to something I'm going to have to try that, Where can I get some?
[signature]
I just bought 40 of them on ebay, so i will get those in a week or so!!! I will try it out and could possibly mail you a couple. I will PM you when I get them. Locally I think any novelty shop, or in the malls at spencer gifts would be my best bet, to find them. I dont know if they still do, but back in my dance club days they sold them for $3 a piece at those places.
[signature]
Let us know how it goes because I have often wondered the same thing. At the same time though I have wondered if it would scare fish instead of attracting them. It would be interesting to find out.
[signature]
I own some jigs that have batteries in them. Some do a steady light, and some blink. I keep threatening to use them, but they haven't made it out of my tackle box yet.
[signature]
After seeing the fishing supplies you have on your boat, what dont you have in fishng gear??? [cool]
[signature]
Hey give me a break, I know you don't believe it, but I left home at least half of my fishing tackle that day! About the only thing that I am missing is an electric trolling motor. If anyone wants to give me one for Christmas PM me and I will give you my address so Santa will not deliver it to the wrong house.
[signature]
Polokid,

The flexible surgical like tubing you find in all fishing stores would work great. You know the kind that you can slide the lead into to keep your line from drifting too fast in rivers. I have found the tubing in bulk on a spool or pre-rigged with a three way swivel. We used to use it alot in Alaska fishing for Salmon, but never rigged one with a glow stick! I actually tried using a glow stick inside of a tube jig at Bear Lake this year during the Mac spawn but had no luck either way. This idea was not mine but a guy at pugstones asked if I would give it a try. You could also find some tubing with just the right ID (inside diameter) at Home Depot or Lowes I am sure. Just run your line through a piece and work the glow stick along with it.
[signature]
I have used them for catfish at night on utah lake and seen times when I think they have helped. You might try getting a small rubberband and attach them to your line. They also sell pieces of the tubing to attach to bobbers which is also great fun at night watching it go under which you could attach to a swivel or you line. I like a rubber band because it does not seem to damage the line.
[signature]
Polokid,I have used them with 7" glow tubes by just shoving them up in with the weight and they kept the jigs charged for several hours! Worked great for night fishing the spawn at BearLake.I have never used them jigging in deep water or through the ice but I am sure they would work just fine!!M.H.
[signature]
This is polokid on OEJ computer:

Coincidentally I found a vending machine at Toys R Us with 1 1/2 inch glow sticks tonight. I actually took a hot needle and shoved it through the hard plastic on each end of the glow stick, to make it basically into a slip attractant. I then will put a small sinker to keep it from slipping and to sink it with the bait. Will give report tomorrow on how it works!!! I am excited!!!

Small things amaze little minds!!![Tongue]
[signature]
I have tried the glow stick thing quite a bit over the last year. I even found some half inchers that were perfect size to stuff into some of the tube jigs to make the entire thing glow. My theory is that they scare walleye's and trout but they would be great for catfish. I have fished them from Flaming Gorge to Deer Creek and I put a lot of time in with them. When everyone else was catching fish I was getting skunked. I finally caught a few fish but it was after the glow sticks had dimmed over 75%. I think they can spook the fish at full intensity but if you let them die down you can have some luck. This will be my first year ice fishing though and, as with you I am interested to see if they work.
[signature]
you can get em' for 50 cents a peice in those lame gumball machines inside the doors of most stores. 1 stick will glow for 30 hours or so, so you won't have to spend a lot.
[signature]
I tried the glow stick on Wednesday at Causey and didnt see any affect either way!!! but here are some pictures of what I bought on ebay, I guess I am getting 60 of them.
[signature]
Those are the same ones that I was using. I only tried green and blue though...Those red ones look like they might be the ticket....There is a party supply place in town that has em. I'm going to Causey this afternoon so maybe I'll give it a try.
[signature]