Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question on black powder
Just wondering if any of you muzzle loaders are familiar with Blackhorn 209 powder? My wife drew a LE bull elk tag for the Wasatch unit here in Utah and I would like to find a good load. A friend of mine highly recommended it, he drew a tag last year and used it to kill a nice 6X6 bull at 180 plus yards with the Barnes 250 gr. T-EZ bullet. She will be shooting my TC Omega 50 cal. I will need to find a good 1 power scope for her to use as well if you have any recomendations. Thanks for any advice.
[signature]
While I am sure that there might be someone that knows the answer here in Idaho about everything you listed your going to use is illegal in Idaho. Sorry I can't help you. Ron
[signature]
I've never looked at the Idaho regs regarding muzzle loader hunting. Do they have a muzzle loader season for big game? I thought most Western states did or were allowed to use them for big game. Thanks for the response, just trying to get some advice from people that may have used it.
[signature]
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt...etPage=299
[signature]
We do have ML hunts but we have to he a gun that the cap is exposed to the weather. We have to use a #11 cap or a musket cap. We have to use conicals or balls that are within .010" of bore diameter. And there is more. If you want to talk about ML I would be happy to talk about what we use but I just don't have any knowledge of the stuff you were asking about. This is the rifle I use for deer and antelope. It is a Hawken with a fast twist barrel. It shoots a paper patched 11mm rifle bullet. The peep sights are sighted in out to 300 yards but I don't take a first shot past 150. Ron

[Image: Deer09small_zpsbf3da576.jpg]
[signature]
Thanks Ron, great picture by the way, I would be very proud of that buck.
[signature]
Thanks for posting the web site, not really interested in muzzleloader hunting in Idaho, but good info to know.
[signature]
I have trimmed my hunting down to ML only almost. Here are a couple more pictures of game killed with my Hot Rod rifles. Ron

[Image: 2009buck05-A.jpg]

[Image: Bigbuck4.jpg]

[Image: Mybuck55.jpg]

[Image: 9-25-10Lsmall.jpg]

And some with my son

[Image: Jacobshunt11.jpg][/URL]

[Image: Jacobs2011doe1small.jpg][/URL]
[signature]
Pretty impressive, I hope I can post a picture of the wife with her first muzzleloader bull this fall.
[signature]
That is awesome! do you have any tags yet or just hoping like me?
[signature]
Our draws for antlered animals is over, we even have to draw for general deer tags and I did get an archery buck tag for the bow hunt. I have a hunt booked for a whitetail in Nov. in Northern Sask. I'm really looking forward to that one.
[signature]
Sounds like fun. Are you using a ML in SASK?
[signature]
I've thought about taking it along, not sure what the regs are up there I will need to contact the outfitter for some info if I decide to use it. . Most likely I will use my 300 Win. Mag.
[signature]
Haha, ya it's too bad we got such lamo muzzy rules here in Utah. Otherwise ole Ron could open up a whole new world to ya. He is about as knowledgeable as you will find. He helped me dial in and get much more accurate and much more precise at much longer distances than I though possible - and ended up killing my best buck ever on a LE hunt in Idaho a couple years back.

I've hunted muzzy the last 8-9 years in utah, but I've always just used #11s, loose pyrodex, and open sights. And since I drew the Idaho tag, I've hunted Idaho-legal here as well. You can do just as good as you can with all the techno they let us use here, but it's much more rewarding IMO.

Best of luck to you and your wife though. I know she'll do great!!
[signature]
I do okay. I am glad you did so well with yours. I can't remember what that buck looked like. Ron
[signature]

[signature]
Awesome buck!!
[signature]
Thanks Ron!! I had a blast up there. Seen about 4 others in this class, but nothing much better. What a fun area.
[signature]
I got the wife out shooting the Omega last weekend. I bought a Vortex scope and I had sighted the rifle in at 100 yards. I had her set it up for her shooting and she shot a group of 5 in a 3 to 4 inch group 4 inches above the bull's eye. I love the Blackhorn 209 powder, hardly any smoke and the Barnes 250 grain TEZ sabots loaded easy. I think we fired about a dozen rounds through the muzzy with out cleaning the barrel. Now if we can find a nice bull for her I think she is ready for her first muzzle loader hunt which begins on the 24th of this month.
[signature]
how I miss using sabots. [:/]
Waiting till December to start chasing elk with the smoke pole.
[signature]