Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat steering issue
I've got a StarCraft 18' Fish n' Ski with a 125 h Mariner outboard that has been difficult to turn to the right. Its steering is the cable type. I've greased the mechanism up near the motor, which helps a little, but I was wondering if this is a normal thing, or if maybe I've got a sticky cable or something?
[signature]
[#484848]I had a similar problem in my old bass boat .... I never did cure the problem, so I ripped out the cables and installed one of those do it yourself power steering units. Wow, what a difference.[/#484848]
[signature]
When you turn left, the torque of the motor is helping you, so itis easier, when you turn right, you have the torque of the motor opposing you !! having the motor properly trimed out will help, but not cure the problem.
I think you hit it on the head. I had a hunch that nothing was wrong but I couldn't think of what it could be. That sounds about right to me. Though power steering would be nice, it's probably worth more than my whole boat[:p]
[signature]
+1
[signature]
Why would right versus left make a difference? I understand if your making a turn and completly turn the opposite directions it is hard to turn.

I had to replace my sterring cable in my last bass boat due to rust. New cable made steering easy.
[signature]
it doesn't seem like it would make a difference but it does . I've been in many older boats that have had that problem. if it was a problem with lubrication or a mechanical system it would be hard to steer in both directions.
[signature]
On most motors there is a small fin on the lower unit that should be set of to one-side to assist with the turn the "hard" way. In fact on my lower unit the fin is zinc. It's little but does help with stearing
[signature]
How do you know which way to turn that little fin? Opposite of what you would think?
[signature]
The torque is caused by the rotation of the prop. Most props turn right, clockwise, which means that a left turn is going against the torque of the prop. The trim tab that is mentioned, can be adjusted by popping a little cap on the top of the lower unit just above it. You need a socket on an extension to loosen it. Adjustment is very delicate and you need to play with it. I would check your owners manual or marine dealer to get proper instructions on adjusting it.
I also had the same problem. I was able to resolve it by disassembling the cable assembley behind the steering wheel. It was dried up and what grease was left had become sticky. I cleaned it up good, re-greased and perfect steering again.
[signature]
Good idea.
[signature]
Is it hard to turn right all the time or just in the water with the motor running?

If it is all the time... it's a binding cable or bell crank somewhere.

If it only occurs on the lake then the trim tab is the correct solution.
[signature]
Not sure. I'll have to try it.
[signature]
I just checked, when the boat is out of water it turns easily both directions. I'll adjust that trim tab and see what happens.
[signature]
Getting that set properly will solve your problem. I'm working on a1975 Starcraft Sportster and that was the last item we fixed.

The larger outboards can really be difficult to steer against the torque. The tab on mine was pointed the wrong direction so at full throttle it was almost impossible to keep from turning.
[signature]
Lundman hit the nail on the head IMO. My boat was a nightmare to turn right until I moved that fin. Now it's fine.
[signature]