Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CJ Strike in ID
heading up to ID for fathers day weekend. Fishing in the area of the dam out of CJ Strike resv. taking family up with me. Will be with a sturgeon guy so that part is covered, what I need to know is what should I be using to keep the kids occupied with perch, crappie, and whatever else they can get on a hook? In 2008 they caught a TON of fish to the point they began counting when they DID NOT have a hook up. Also would not mind a big ole perch/crappie fry in the camp ground one night.

Any and all advice is appreciated and thank you much in advance!

P.S. any pointers on the water dinosaurs would be appreciated as well. Have not landed one yet, but had my 45 minute battle with a 13 footer that came unbuttoned after a huge jump and head shake at the surface. dang barbless hooks, makes it a lot more interesting.

Thanks,
[signature]
Been fishing CJ for the past 20 yrs., the outlaws live there in grand view. was there memorial day to visit but didn't fish. all the locals are reporting the perch and crappie are small this year, not the 10-13" they been the past 2 yrs. red n white, blue n white, black n white little tube jigs seem to work the best for the crappie, you can get some there at Gus's gas station. we usually just drown 1/2 night crawler till we find our first perch then go to cut bait. you'll be suprised the smallmouth you'll catch on crawlers also. need to fish just off the bottom, bobber doesn't work, water is starting to warm. quite a few smallmouth on the rocks of the dam, just big snag potential. lots of rainbows in that area also. wish i could be there this weekend, it's a great lake for smallmouth, watch the size limit, 12" and the game wardens are not your friend
[signature]
Thanks for the Info Pardo!!!

I dont think we will go up to the reservoir unless the kids want to go play on the beach, but then the moms usually take them up while dads watch bait soak.

I was thinking along those lines for the bait and smaller jigs, i will set them up with the 1/16 heads and some tubes with a pinch o crawler on it under a slip bobber that way they can hang just over the rocks, and drift in the current, and keep casting off the river bank until their arms fall off LOL. looking forward to it. It has been too long since we went up there. wasted a trip to Boise last year on a wedding with not a single cast made anywhere. dang.

thanks again,
[signature]
[#484848]Decent smallmouth fishing all over. Crappie are plentiful, but small. Keep an eye on the kids. Rattlesnakes are abundant.[/#484848]
[signature]
Give the Bruneau Sand Dunes a try, the two lakes there have bluegill and LMB. My wife is from Grandview and I lived there for a couple years back in the early 70's. I'm not sure if you have a boat or not but the C.J. is good for just about everything. LMB, SMB, trout, perch, catfish, bluegill, crappie etc. [fishin]
[signature]
Gravel in front if rec cove, pump station across res from black sands are both accessible from shore. If you are taking a boat pm for waypoints. Sturgeon in res possible from shore, better near king hill and Glenn's ferry in river.
[signature]
Packfan, what's your wifes last name if you don't mind me asking. My wife was raised in grand view also, small town. they may know eachother
[signature]
PM sent
[signature]