Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is anyone watching the water levels?
I think that this could be an important part of this website. We should be keeping track of our water levels and snowfall. Since I am away, what is it looking like?
[signature]
Indirect answer: The SL Tribune has an almanac listing on the weather page every day. Yesterday, with the storm from last weekend, the month of December has more precipitation than normal. The water year (October-September) is still down. However, we're only 0.5" behind...last week we were more than a full inch in the hole.

Looks like more storms are predicted (just in time to make getting out over the long weekend difficult) so I'm cautiously hopeful about the water situation. I've already fired up the snowblower this year more than all of last winter.
[signature]
Not a bad idea. I'll tell you what I know. The water is some places has come up a couple feet in most places since the end of the watering season. As far as snow pack, we are doing OK, but not great. Last monday the north was very close to 100%, however the south was down around 80%. We still need a bunch more snow to fill up our favorite fishing ponds. We are doing significantly better than last year, but not quite good enough. It looks like there is a possibility of a few more storms before years end, so that should help as well. Hopefully the whole state really gets blasted with the moisture. The next few months are going to be critical to keep up the snow pack. It would be great to finish above 120%, but I'd personally be happy with 100%. Hope this info helps.

How has your little trip been?
[signature]
Here is a link to a web site that has live data with elevations and capacity for reservoirs in the Weber Basin drainage. [url "http://www.weberbasin.com/reservoirs/"][#800080]http://www.weberbasin.com/reservoirs/#[/#800080][/url] Most reservoirs have to have what they call dead storage however Echo and Pineview can be drawn down to nothing.

Some quick facts about the water resource for the Weber Basin drainage, Weber and Davis Counties. 300,000 acre-feet of water is used annually, the current amount available in reservoirs is 60,000 acre-feet of water. The average amount of water received from snow pack the last 3 years is 180,000 acre-feet. Add this together and the reservoirs will fill to 240,000. This leaves the reservoirs short 60,000 acre-feet of water. There is approximately 55,000 to 80,000 acre-feet of water used outdoors, this leaves us with no water for out doors use. We need 150% of average snow pack to get enough water to use for outdoor watering.

Here a link to the states web site with most of the reservoirs. It’s not live data but it gives you an idea of water levels.[size 2][font "Times New Roman"] [/font][/size]

[size 2][/size]

[size 2][url "http://www.water.utah.gov/DroughtConditions/ReservoirStorage/default.asp"][#800080][size 1]http://www.water.utah.gov/DroughtConditions/ReservoirStorage/default.asp[/size][/#800080][/url][size 1][#800080] [/#800080][/size][/size]
[signature]
Here is a link that I have bookmarked. It shows the totals for the major drainages in the state. I got this link from someone who posted it on BFT some time ago(I think). Anyway, it is a good point of reference.

m

[url "ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/ut.txt"]ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/ut.txt[/url]
[signature]
in all reality the amount of rain in huge amounts or not and snowfall is insignificant until we fill or water tables back up. since this is the 6th straight year of below average precipitation having a average or above snowfall winter will not make a difference. it may fill the reservoirs for the spring and come summer it will be back to almost empty or record lows for water levels. we need our water tables to refill and that can only take gradual wet years or one heck of a massive snowfall which isnt going to happen since we are just at normal right now. either way it is better than last year and hope we have years of this again. i forgot what it was like to make snow angels in the front yard as a kid in 2 or 3 feet of snow.
[signature]