Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay walleye/wiper fest - Mon 6/9/2014
Finally, after a super busy spring I finally played hookey from work and met up with Wiperhunter2 to hopefully get in on some of the Willard Bay action I've been hearing about. Met up at 7:30 and were fishing by about 8am. Fished until 2pm. It was calm all day with barely a breeze. Bugs weren't too bad, but I ate a few. For the day we didn't keep a super accurate count, but we caught about 15-17 walleye and about 8-10 wipers. Most fish were caught on a variety of crankbaits, some with rattles, some without, Rapalas, no-names, etc. I had the best luck chrome/blue. Thanks for a great day Curt!

Rods in the holders, trolling about 2.8-3.1 mph.
[inline IMG_0133.JPG]
An early double-header of wipers. Most were on the small side, but a few were decent and came home with me for dinner.
[inline IMG_0132.JPG]

Curt with a walleye
[inline IMG_0134.JPG]

Another wiper
[inline IMG_0135.JPG]

And a final wiper with Scott
[inline IMG_0137.JPG]
[signature]
awesome report!
[signature]
Sweet! Now I am looking forward to the trip with Curt on thurSaday even more.[Smile] Great report!
[signature]
Went to Willard today and got the big skunk. went to island for about 30 minutes nothing so went from island to NW corner trolling about 2.1-2.5 mph with Rat-L Traps and various other cranks. Got to NW corner went to bottom bouncing, long lining crawler harnesses, and other cranks completely struck out Glad someone did good
[signature]
Looks like you had a great day!!! Curt is a great Willard Bay guide and can get you into some fish. Glad you got a few and weather cooperated
[signature]
Really enjoyed getting out there with you yesterday Scott. I love it when a plan come together and the fish want to play[Wink]. It turned out to be a pretty good day, with light bug exposure but I do need to get a head net. I've heard that WalMart has them but does anyone know what section of the store they are in?
[signature]
Just to let everyone know, I am not a guide but I do fish Willard a lot because it is the closest lake to me. Thanks for your kind comments Brent.
[signature]
[#0000FF]You can get those head nets at Sportsmans too...in the miscellaneous camping supplies along with straps and bags and other goodies.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Head nets ... I got 4 for a buck a piece last year at Smith & Edwards back in the used military stuff section. The nets are new. Used all four of the nets for a while this weekend.
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]You can get those head nets at Sportsmans too...in the miscellaneous camping supplies along with straps and bags and other goodies.
[/#0000ff][/quote]

Now watcha saying there Pat - that they oughta put a bag over their heads? Cheese!

They're not bad during the day, but I find that netting really annoying at night, when my vision fails anyways. But of course - that's when you most needs 'em.

Grand day out Scott, Curt. You's guys knows how to nail-em!
So Curt - did Jeff's tacos change your mind about Wiper at all? Glad to hear the Walleye are doing so well! Wish they'd plant some in Cutler, I might stand a chance then!
I just picked one up for 2.99 at Sportsmans. Thanks for the info Pat and Ralph.

Ralph- S & E is the next place I'm going to try, if they have any left, I'll get a couple more on Thursday.
[signature]