Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great day at the Berry
Tony, I thought we were friends.[Wink]
[signature]
Someone asked for my canned salmon recipe. Here it is.
[signature]
There is a kokanee fishing seminar being held by the DNR in Salt Lake on June 18. Here is a link to the web page.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/wildlife-news/1...almon.html

I have fished multiple times with Jared Johnson of Rocky Mountain Tackle, one of the presenters in the seminar. The web page says he is an "avid" kokanee fisherman. This is understated as I think he is more of an "obsessed" kokanee fisherman. If you have time and really want to learn to kokanee fish this event would be well worth your time.
[signature]
Also, go to the rocky mountain tackle web page and click on the tips section. He has a whole page of information including everything from electronics to downriggers to scents to speed, etc.
[signature]
you can catch them on leaded line but it can be difficult to gauge your depth . a dipsy diver works with mono, and on leaded line we ran a 4 to 6 ounce banana weight with 3 colors out to get down 30'. once you catch a koke turn around and go back though them . my go to lure on the berry is pink cotton candy squid 10"behind a pink and silver dodger. be persistent and experiment with speed and depth and you will catch them.[fishin]
[signature]
Kent, I didn't know you had downriggers. Let's go friend!
[signature]

one leaded line 5 colors out. using aSHATTERED Kokanee Creek dodger and a pro-troll koke killer
clear with a pink strip down the middleonly got two kokes on that but got 4 Ranbows and 3 cuts.

had the downriggers down at 33 and 39 feet most of the time
On the PINK SQUIDs and RMT 5.5" UVPink Hyper Signature Dodger only got 1 cut. All the rest were kokanee
the Kokes are not as big as the ones atFG. But they are ok.
[signature]
[quote liketrolling]the Kokes are not as big as the ones atFG. But they are ok.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Yeh, but you can keep 4 instead of 3. [/size][/#800000][/font][Smile]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
hey bob no offence ment but I think the regs only allow 3 kokanee in the aggregate. nice report though im very excited to get back up there this weekend and redeem myself
[signature]
sorry bob I am wrong. looks like they changed the regulations 4 salmon is now the limit . great deal for us[sly]
[signature]
I wish I had noticed it sooner . I was going by the old rule. oh well you learn something new every day[cool]
[signature]
Glad you got into them!

We just got back from the Berry, my first time back in about 16 yrs or so. We had no downriggers, so we just fished diving rapalas and kastmasters....only two nice Cutts...and one smaller Cutt. Way slow, but I think that wind had a lot to do with it. Still a fun time with my boys....

Lots of boaters and fishermen out...what a popular water.

Did I mention that Wind should be considered a 4-letter word?
[signature]
When we fish kokanee I run two down riggers and two planner boards. I use a jet diver to get my baits down on the planner boards. The jet divers come in different sizes and colors #10, #20,#30,#40 & #50. They are suppose to run the depth according to the size you run, #10 for 10 ft., #20 for 20 ft. etc. I have my best luck running #30's and # 40's for the kokes. I usually troll about 1.5 to 2 MPH with 40 to 50 ft. of line behind the planner boards attached to the diver attached to 4 to 5 feet of leader and a flasher attached to 12 to 14 inches of leader to a squid tipped with Gulp maggots. If you don't have down riggers these will work on your regular mono or flourocarbon lines. I loose a some fish using the planner boards due to the resistance of the board the fish have to fight before I get the board to the boat so I can release it from the main line. I have tried the pink lady and the dipsey divers but I don't like them as well as the jet divers. I will tell you one thing I have noticed is that I seem to get more hits on the planner boards than the downrigger. I think the jet divers run around 8 to10 dollars, RMT flashers about the same and the squids 4 to 5 bucks for a pack of three pre rigged. I prefer to tie my own squid rigs buying packs of squid in various colors the same with the flashers. I do like to use larger hooks ( Red) than come with the prerigged packages.
[signature]