Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard boaters beware
Fished the Bay yesterday. We did ok caught a few small Wipers and a few Walleye. However while I was out fishing the park ranger gave me a ticket for not having a license plate on my boat trailer. It appears the ranger does not know state law concerning trailers.
I went to the DMV today to get my trailer registered. In order to do so the trailer needed a vin inspection. The DMV associate came outside looked over my boat trailer and said I did not need a license plate. She gave me a copy of The Utah motor vehicle act that states in section 41-1a-202 section two , Registration under this chapter is not required for any: Skip to paragraph H
A" trailer of 750 lbs or less unladen weight and maintained for hire for transportation of property or persons".

I went ahead and paid the fees and got it registered anyway to avoid anymore ignorant law enforcement officers. I still am going to have to take off work and travel to Brigham City to appear in court.
By the time all is said and done this little screw up will have cost me around $300 that's bad bad enough but it also cost me time that should have been spent fishing. [mad] so I spent most of day two of my 5 day vacation at the DMV. Sure does rub my scales the wrong way kinda dries out a fellers gills too. I guess Ill go fry up yesterday's catch and moisten up my gills with a few beers. So beware.
The DMV associate was very nice and helpful a big thank you goes out to her for a job well done.
[signature]
So why are you paying the money and going to court if there is no law requiring you to do so...?
[signature]
There's always one that just has to flex his muscles now and then.
[signature]
When one is summoned to appear in court you must go or a warrant will be issued for your arrest. I also must show the judge why the citation should be dismissed. It will also make the issuing officer look like an ignorant ass.
[signature]
[quote Watershadow]So why are you paying the money and going to court if there is no law requiring you to do so...?[/quote]

Agreed. If you aren't required to register and license your trailer, why would you? If you want to waste a day, and the gas, fight the ticket and make the Park Ranger spend a day to show up in court and be made a fool of.

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
In order to avoid any more tickets issued by idiots
[signature]
I'm a Leo and have been given bogus tickets out there as well, luckily mine was a warning. There must be a new employee out there who doesn't know his ass from his elbow. Call the court where you have to appear or try to get ahold of the prosecutor.
[signature]
Also call the fish and game and file a complaint on the fish cop, so that they can get him some training.
[signature]
The rule is that if you have a tandem axle trailer, you need to register it, if a single axle, you don't. Ran into this years ago traveling in AZ. A group of us were headed to Roosevelt for a tournament and got stopped outside of Flagstaff by a AzHP officer. He not only wanted registration on the trailers, but on the boats also. That was easy, but when we told him the single axle trailers did not need registration he couldn't believe it. 2 hours later after several calls to Utah DMV it was cleared up, but the poor officer was dumbfounded. They also learned that Utah does not issue titles for boats, another little foible for us.

So if you are two or more axle's, you have to have the plate !!
Now here is my story.
I recently purchased a boat that was titled and registered in Arizona.
I took all the paper work to the DMV to get it titled and registered in my name and in Utah.
Before I could get the boat registered, I had to have a law enforcement officer verify the VIN number and sign off on it.

So I take all the paperwork to the DMV and find out that it is SUGGESTED that I also license the trailer.
I was told that if I drive through Wyoming, I would be cited if I didn't have the trailer licensed.
I told the clerk to go ahead and process the trailer for license plates.
She then told me that I needed to have the trailer VIN number checked out the same as I did for the boat!
I went back home and had an officer come to inspect the trailer. He told me that he couldn't make out the VIN on the trailer and that I would have to go to the DMV and get a new VIN plate made and attached to the trailer.
So back to the DMV I go. I get the new VIN plate and rivit it to the trailer and call for an officer to come back to my home for another inspection. He did it and signed off on the paperwork.
Back to the DMV again. This time it was all processed and I now have a title for the boat which I didn't think that was used in Utah and I have a license plate for my trailer which I don't think is actually required in Utah.
Now I have to find a place to put the plate on the trailer that wont get bent or cause injury to someone walking past the trailer.
[signature]
How much does it cost to register a trailer in Utah?
[signature]
Mine was $58.00 plus the fuel from home to the DMV for 7 trips to get it all done.
[signature]
Getting anything registered the first time sux. Sleds boats trailers rvs. 58 a year is cheap to not have to argue with a trained professional. Our state park stickers have the vechile license number on them and they got people checking while you fish. Anything to make a buck or create a job I guess.
[signature]
That's my understanding, single vs.

I had an "opportunity" with Barney over at Mantua. Leanred after the fact he doesn't even havehave athourity to issue citations on the water.
Should have gone with ignoring that civilian he sent across the lake to ask us to come back to the launch to talk to 'the man in the yellow shirt'.

Definitely get the dudes name and badge and file a report. What a joke!
Idaho requires smaller trailers to be licensed. All of our smaller trailers (boat, enclosed or flatbed) have never been licensed because in Utah it's not required. As mentioned before, if it's under 750 lb. Never been stopped in Idaho, probably because we're from Utah as shown on our plates. Never been stopped in Wyoming either. If you're passing thru, they won't hassle you. Been doing this for over 30 years + now.
If someone is concerned keep a copy of the regulations with them and educate the newbie that wants to ticket you.
[signature]
[quote Therapist]They also learned that Utah does not issue titles for boats, another little foible for us.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Not true; I have 3 titles for my Tracker package. One is for the outboard motor (Merc 75), one is for the trailer, and one is for the boat (Targa V16). All three are registered; boat/motor as one and trailer separate.

And for the naysayers about going to court, if you are issued a citation, you must either pay the fine or appear in court and convince the judge the citation isn't valid. That shouldn't be a problem with the paperwork supplied by the DMV. You can not simply ignore the citation; that would be illegal and put you in more jeopardy under state law. Just paying the fine in this case would be foolish.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I am going to say maybe if you buy it in this state and brand new. I know we bought a utility trailer that was 4' X 8' and we licensed it because the lot that sold it to us did.
But the boat we just sold read on the registration "non title watercraft" A 14' boat and trailer with Honda motor. We bought boat and motor from another party, trailer brand new from on line.
[signature]
Actually, you don't have to license your boat, motor or trailer, at least on older models. I'm not sure when the requirement changed but my last boat was a 1978 and it did not need to be licensed, just registered. I also know by 1988 boats needed to be licensed. I think the requirement changed in the early to mid 80ies.

What was your decision about fishing the Pig this coming week?
[signature]
[quote Island20]Fished the Bay yesterday. We did ok caught a few small Wipers and a few Walleye. However while I was out fishing the park ranger gave me a ticket for not having a license plate on my boat trailer. It appears the ranger does not know state law concerning trailers.
I went to the DMV today to get my trailer registered. In order to do so the trailer needed a vin inspection. The DMV associate came outside looked over my boat trailer and said I did not need a license plate. She gave me a copy of The Utah motor vehicle act that states in section 41-1a-202 section two , Registration under this chapter is not required for any: Skip to paragraph H
A" trailer of 750 lbs or less unladen weight and maintained for hire for transportation of property or persons".

I went ahead and paid the fees and got it registered anyway to avoid anymore ignorant law enforcement officers. I still am going to have to take off work and travel to Brigham City to appear in court.
By the time all is said and done this little screw up will have cost me around $300 that's bad bad enough but it also cost me time that should have been spent fishing. [mad] so I spent most of day two of my 5 day vacation at the DMV. Sure does rub my scales the wrong way kinda dries out a fellers gills too. I guess Ill go fry up yesterday's catch and moisten up my gills with a few beers. So beware.
The DMV associate was very nice and helpful a big thank you goes out to her for a job well done.[/quote]

You paid $300 and wasted a bunch of time in a ticket that would not hold up in court. All you had to do was pull up the law and try and get hold of the courts, even if you had to appear, I am sure the gas $$ to go to Brigham is not $300.
[signature]
I have a single axle boat trailer that's never been registered but my question is if I'm ever stopped by a LEO, how do I prove it weighs less than 750 pounds? Or is it his burden to prove it weighs more? It would be a pain take the boat off the trailer and go have it weighed somewhere. I looked on the ID plate and it doesn't say.
[signature]