Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th Annual Panguitch trip
On the road for cooler temperatures in Utah Monday afternoon and home Friday afternoon (9-13 Jun). 4 nights of camping with 3 full days on the water. Our 4th annual trip to Panguitch as soon as school gets out. The weather is always the HUGE plus. Mid 40s or so in the AM and a high in the low 70s the entire time we were there. Killer weather for camping!

Fishing wasn't as good this year and the worst for us since we started going up there minus the first year which we didn't have the boat yet and were stuck shore fishing...

Didn't take very many pictures at all. No camp pics or any of the usual stuff I usually do. They would look the same as my post last year anyways to the "T".

Fishing wise... Smaller fish compared to all the years before. Usually one gets something in the 2-3lb range every 5-10 fish or so and that didn't happen at all this year. Thus essentially zero fish pics in this post. Just nothing worthy of it... Also the Cutthroat catches were down some. I didn't mind so much since a Rainbow fights considerable better than a Cutthroat. Talking to another angler one morning he commented the exact same thing to me. Fish size is way down, quantities in a day is down along with the quantity of Cutthroats being down. We didn't catch any CutBows either this year. Tons of 1.5 pounders or so I guess. Maybe last year's stock? Plus quite a few just under 1lb. Still they do put up an excellent fight on a fly rod. They sure think they are bigger than they are. Everything we did catch had bellies on them WAY bigger than one would normally ever see on a Rainbow. Whatever they are eating in that lake they are eating well!

Tuesday we caught 20-25 fish I guess. We got some of the "normal" 10am and on Panguitch winds but less than usual. There was one extremely special fish I will toss a pic up of below caught. (The ONE that made this entire trip BIG TIME TO ME!)

Wednesday just sucked. SLOOOOW fishing. Just about bad enough to make one debate on staying or leaving the next day. There was a system coming in and it was threatening to rain but never amounted to much. Essentially very little wind which is highly untypical of Panguitch. Sure did do a number on the fish for us quantity wise. Less than 20 landed.

Thursday was the best day. WINDY at 9-10am and on. All that matters to me on Panguitch is the wind. MUST have IMO. The more the better for the pattern I love and enjoy the most (drifting the lake). 30 plus landed but again nothing special. Just fun fish to catch.

Not saying one couldn't catch a boat load there but I am not into Power Bait, etc for a catch and release mentality. I have to be more active and casting/working something. Last year doing the same things we did this year we were in the 50+ range landed each day so quantities were certainly down. (Trolling till 10am or so then once the winds came up drifting the lake with type III sinking fly lines on both of our fly rods.)

Cutthroat quantities were down but not a ton. Noticeable but not huge.

Anyways a couple pics...

Loaded and ready!

[Image: PanguitchLake%2009-13June2014_001.jpg]

This was just past Brian Head at close to 11k feet in altitude.. I don't remember seeing this scenic outlook before. (Parking lot and trail to this view.) The pictures does this ZERO justice. It will take ones breath away looking down from the fenced viewing area!

[Image: PanguitchLake%2009-13June2014_002.jpg]

[Image: PanguitchLake%2009-13June2014_003.jpg]

And finally! I caught my unicorn! That mystical fish I have been wanting to catch/see in person ever since I got back into fishing and learned of its existence. The best battle I have had on a fly rod since childhood growing up in Montana. Almost 10 minutes to get 'em in. From one extreme side of the boat to the other in no time. What a rocket! I had to take several breaks and rest what there is of a butt on a fly rod on my chest since my arm was killing me holding that fly rod that long. Made me pretty happy I was using a little heavier rod than what most run for the trout size in Utah (6wt TFO rod).

Almost 3 1/2 pounds and a hair over 20 inches. Released of course and very carefully handled!

A Tiger Trout! (Brook Trout/Brown Trout hybrid)

The picture did this fish no justice. He was soooo colorful and just purty!!!

[Image: PanguitchLake%2009-13June2014_005.jpg]
[signature]
Rite on bro. I'm glad you guys had a great time. I'm aiming to get into those tigers this year myself. Heading up a ways north of panguitch in a few weeks but I may stop there on my way or on the way home and give it a try.
Congrats and thanks for the great post.
[signature]
I am thinking next year we might go to some other lake for our annual school is out trip. Further north. Not sure where yet but something comparable to what we get from Panguitch. Good camping, cooler temps and hopefully a little bigger fish to keep it exciting. Maybe Otter. Dunno. I guess I have a year to figure that out. Wouldn't mind Strawberry or Starvation but that is getting to be a haul. Plus they realllllly have wind so not sure how either would be camping wise...

Will be looking forward to how you do someplace other than were we went.
[signature]
Ya I spend a lot of time on otter creek. My friend has a house in antimony and we always do well on the lake. I'm gonna spend a few days there and maybe a day or two at fish lake chasing macs. I love that area there are plenty of streams and rivers and small mtn lakes to fish. Otter is windy almost every afternoon this time of year but we fish the lake in the morn and drive the mtn roads lookin for other water and wildlife in the afternoons. There is a nice campground at the lake and plenty of spots to camp along the lake. Just a great place all around. We usually get a few bows in the 3.5-5lb range everytime and tons of 2-3's. Really like trolling there it seems to produce a lot and there are some nice smallies on the north end of the lake.
Will have a report for you in a few weeks.
[signature]
I was chit chatting with someone on the water that must be from that area. He said he had some buddies on Fish Lake and had called and told him fishing was sucking. So a heads up about Fish Lake right now. Another lake that has been on my radar for a Utah fishing trip.
[signature]
[url "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiTqd7R6Yfc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiTqd7R6Yfc[/url]

Madi fighting one on the fly rod. Don't bother trying to turn it up/listen to me babble. The wind noise will destroy your speakers. lol
[signature]
Cool thanks
[signature]
Otter Creek is a awesome place to go. Minimum size trout I caught there was 2lb's
[signature]
Sounds like a decent trip up to Panguitch. That scenic outlook is pretty friggin cool, stopped by there last trip when the Cedar Breaks road was closed. I took my daughter up to Panguitch last April, and she got board since we were catching so many fish, LOL. Probably landed 25 trout in 3 hours, with a fat 5# bow in the mix.

We headed over to Otter Creek and the fishing was dismal compared to Panguitch, smaller and less fish. I doubt I'll be heading back to Otter creek as we were camping and had to put up with ATV's and generators (not my cup of tea when camping)... It's a real nice campground though.

If heading to Otter from Panguitch, stop at Owens Travel Center in Panguitch (89 South) for something to eat, good cafe, seemed like a local hangout when we were in there.

Fish Lake panned out for us every time I've been up there, lots of action for smaller trout. There are macs in Fish Lake, so there's a possibility of tying into something big. I got a 25+# mac on my first trip up there, but haven't been lucky since. (Have to keep the kids entertained now...) We've stayed at Bowery Haven each trip and it's a nice "rustic" resort. Nothing fancy, good restaurant, and the marina is close to the camping, motel and cabins. There are public (govt. run) camp grounds just south of Bowery Haven, but they have been closed every time I've been up there mid-May, just after ice-off. They should be open for an "after-school" trip though.
[signature]
yes otter creek is a much bigger lake and you need to find where the fish are at but its usually really good fishing once you do. early spring after ice off is usually good at the campground where its a lot of gravel.(water level permiting). from what ive heard so far this year its pretty much full pool but itll probly come down a bit now that its hot. the west side near tamarisk point is good fishing there are some little springs in the lake that seem to draw fish. any lake is gonna have good days and bad days but it always beats riding the couch...
[signature]
Hey Wolfs4evr, thanks for the report. Was just talking to a buddy about taking both our families up to a nice Utah lake to do some camping, fishing, and just get away from this vegas heat.

I'm new to this area, just PCSd to Nellis. Did a lot of saltwater inshore fishing prior to our Vegas move. Anyways, was hoping you wouldn't mind sharing some technical advice on what baits and how you troll drift. I may take a 17ft bass boat or a couple Hobie kayaks with both light spinning and fly gear if needed.

Also, are there tent camping spaces at Pangutich or just RV/trailer?

Thank again for the report. I hope to do half as good as you did,being I may be the only one in the group that's planning and looking forward to the fishing there.
[signature]
You have Panguitch North and South campgrounds (they are right next to each other, just a matter of what side of the road is how the naming goes). North is more "RV" oriented while south is tent only for the most part. Regardless of how you are camping IMO I would stay in Panguitch North. North has a paved road in and paved parking spots. South is all dirt plus it is way tighter in there thus one can't really get around too well especially if one was pulling a trailer of some sorts. Like a boat. About ~25% of north can be reserved online. The rest is first come. You can also go camping 100% free. A mile or so east of the lake go south off 143 on FR070 and camp anywhere one wants. BLM land. No nothing but land there. Bring your own everything 100% dry camping.

Fishing wise... Go to Bass Pro or Sportsmans and buy a lure called a Little Cleo. Gold in color or the gold with red on half. They have ruled all Trout variants for the past 40 or so years and never ever fail. I have a slot in my tackle box full of them at all times even though I only go Trout fishing a couple times a year. The one lure I will never be w/o or run out of when I do go. 1/4 and 1/8oz sizes will do. 1/6oz was my families favorite 30+ years ago growing up in Montana but is much harder to find these days. I believe they still make it but no one locally stocks that one size. I lean more towards the 1/4oz these days. Easy to cast a good distance. You can troll or cast them all day and do good at Panguitch.

Flyrod wise. Tough to beat a green Wooly Bugger with lots of flash to it and a gold bead on it. I highly prefer a sinking line over floating on Panguitch. You will still catch 'em if you just have a floating line. 5 or 6wt rod. Anything less is tough to cast in the winds and Panguitch has winds 98% of the times starting at around 10am till 5pm or so.

Since Madi can't cast a flyrod yet very well we usually break out the flyrods once the wind picks up. Easy enough for one that can't cast one to let line out as one drifts the lake. The bobbing back and forth in the winds plus a little quick pull/snap on the rod tip keeps whatever is on the end of the line looking very active and will provide lots of action. (I still retrieve mine in short quick jerks all the way in and cast keeping busy but if one can't cast very well you will still catch 'em the way my daughter does as noted above.) You can drift anywhere but I prefer to start my drifts in the lake starting around the south boat ramp or around the corner from there. You will see most "everyone" on the lake head to one area to fish every morning. IMO that area is no more special than anywhere else on the lake. I have no idea why they all go over to that spot and typically avoid it. I find my fish elsewhere.

That be it...
[signature]
Here is out camping spot on Panguitch North last year. If I would of taken a picture this year you wouldn't of seen a difference. Same spot and everything else. Nice camping and out of the winds for the most part.

[Image: PanguitchLake%2023-26June2013_014.jpg]
[signature]
They sell firewood at Panguitch north for 6 dollars a bundle. If one goes to the gas station adjacent to Smiths Foods just south of the 215 on Decatur North (Decatur and Ann) and buys 4 or more bundles of firewood and you have a Smiths card you get 'em for something like 3 dollars a bundle. Smoking deal firewood wise if one has the room to take wood with you. We only go through 1 - 1 1/2 bundles a evening but that is very conservative. Off to bed around 10 so one gets some sleep before sunrise and another day on the water.
[signature]
Thanks for the detailed write-up Wolfs. Will def post a report after our trip up there, hoping for the following weekend. Take care.
[signature]