Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
transducer mount on aluminum boat
I want to attach my transducer to my aluminum boat but I am a little weird about drilling holes into it. And I read somewhere that a metal bracket will eventually eat through the boat. So I was wondering what is the best way to mount it without drilling? I thought about gorilla gluing a piece of a board to the back and then screwing the ducer to the board. I'm just not sure if gorilla glue is the best choice or if it will work. I know you guys are a lot more experienced in these things. Any input is appreciated.
[signature]
You have several good options to choose from. Gorilla glue is great for a lot of projects but will break down if submerged in water for to long.
1. screw or bolt directly to your hull and seal with 3M 5200.
2. use a mounting block. permanently attach the block with 3M 5200 or 2-part epoxy, then transducers can be mounted and adjusted if needed without worries of leaks.
some have used hardwoods dipped in varnish.
Cabela's and other places sell mounting blocks.
you can also use a thick plastic cutting board cut down to size.
[signature]
Thank you for the information! I like the option of not drilling holes in the boat below the waterline. I'm guessing that 3M 5200 is pretty good stuff.
[signature]
Glad I could help. 5200 is great stuff and is "permanent" but can be removed by chipping or sanding. 4200 is "semi permanent.
I found a boat building forum (Iboats.com) when I started my restoration project and that's when I discovered these.

I was also hesitant on drilling holes in brand new fiberglass specially below the waterline. My drain plug tube was the most stressful. Happy to say nothing has leaked, not a single drop.

If you decide against using screws and to only use adhesive, youll need a way to clamp it tight. I backed it in the garage real close to the wall and use a set of Irwin bar clamps(the end is detachable and will "spread vs clamp) to keep constant pressure until everything cured.
[signature]
I don't drill holes in my boat either. I use the 3M 4200 (faster curing than 5200) adhesive. I simply buy a cheap cutting board from Wal-mart and then use a hack saw to cut it to the size I need. I glue that onto my boat and then mount my transducer with 1/2" stainless screws onto the cutting board. It is cheaper to use the cutting board than to buy a "transducer mount board" from Cabelas or Bass Pro. I've had mine on for YEARS in both extreme cold/ice and in heat and the board or transducers have NEVER came off. Even cruising at 45 mph the 3M 4200 holds like no other.
[signature]
Thanks! That sounds good. I will give that a shot.
[signature]
Scott, Where can you find these 3m products at? I am mounting a block on mine with my new airmar transducer and want to do this. Thanks
[signature]
Lowes has the small squeeze tubes, its with the epoxy and superglue. If you need a full caulking type tube, some Lowe's and Home Depot has them or most of the boat shops. I know Marine Products has it.
[signature]
I've bought mine at the ACE hardware right here in Garden City. They have the "tooth paste" tubes or even the "caulking gun size". That stuff works great.
[signature]
sounds good Scott, thanks
[signature]
thank you sir, i appreciate it
[signature]
Thanks for asking the question, and thanks for the many great answers. I have a wood plate in the center where my motor mounts (12ft aluminum Jon boat) but find the existing transducer is worthless when in motion (200+ feet and TONS of fish! Exciting to see when you're in a 4ft desert)
Was looking to mount my better FF transducer, but to the side. Also didn't want to drill into the boatside. Never tried the 4Ms, but guess I'm-a-gonna!

Good stuff Maynard!
I don't know how big your boat is or how high the gunwale is above the water line, but for my 12' aluminum boat I used something like this:

http://www.wholesaleoutdoors.com/product...aQodUpQAFQ

It was nice because it was easily removable if I wanted to transfer it to another watercraft or I if just wanted to take it off if I was worried about it getting stolen.
[signature]