Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge/Strawberry trip.
Hi Everyone,

So I just got a 2006 Alumacraft V16. Its a 16 foot aluminum boat with a 25 HP Mercury motor. I am taking a week off work during the middle/end of July. Based on anyone's experience with campgrounds/boating/weather where should I go? I would like to catch kokanee salmon. I am getting downriggers this week. I will have to bring tents as I can't tow my camper too. This will be my first trip with my boat on big water. I have only been out twice. Both times were at Willard Bay.

Thank you so much for input. [fishon]

Aaron
[signature]
I have a 20 ft older ski boat my cut off for wind at strawberry is 10 or so mph. When I go to strawberry I camp in trout creek canyon but I'm cheap and don't want to spend $ on camp spots it can go towards gas I like the solider creek side so if the wind dose start you don't have to go threw the main bay. I was there Friday with 15 mph winds it wasn't life threatening but I didn't like it too hard to fight the trolling motor and lines
[signature]
I would stick to close waters and get a firm set of sea legs on operating your new toy & tools. The downriggers will take a few trips to get you comfortable with their operations. Buying the kokanee hardware and lures is pretty expensive and habit forming. Plus the line releases are always fun to figure out.

The Gorge has pretty big learning curve (IMO) and the wind could be a challenge with the size of your craft. Plus the cost of the Avassive Species sticker - $30 - Shore camping $45 for the year & etc.

Best to have a positive experience if family & friends are tagging along - good luck and see you on the water
[signature]
[quote Lundman]I would stick to close waters and get a firm set of sea legs on operating your new toy & tools. The downriggers will take a few trips to get you comfortable with their operations. Buying the kokanee hardware and lures is pretty expensive and habit forming. Plus the line releases are always fun to figure out.

The Gorge has pretty big learning curve (IMO) and the wind could be a challenge with the size of your craft. Plus the cost of the Avassive Species sticker - $30 - Shore camping $45 for the year & etc.

Best to have a positive experience if family & friends are tagging along - good luck and see you on the water[/quote]

I think the Gorge is easy Koke' fishing and I suck at fishing for them, I have caught them on leaded line with a dodger and pink squid, don't need an Invasive Species Sticker if you just fish the Utah side, plenty of Salmon around Lucerne, also if you fish up canyon from Sheep Creek the water is fairly calm even when the wind is howling, may suck for trolling but will not be dangerous in a 16 footer. Waves at the Berry are much bigger than any I have seen at the Gorge.
[signature]
Thank you everyone. I see the points that everyone has made and they are much appreciated.

I have been eyeballing Cedar Springs campground for 4 days for Flaming Gorge and Aspen Grove at Strawberry for a day. They are both close to marinas and look to have some shade.

I bought Scotty 1071 downriggers. They are just small clamp on ones with 100 feet of steel cable and are manual. My fish finder is a Garmin echo 200.

I will do the best that I can and if I don't fish much or catch anything it will all be good. I just like the camping and being outdoors.
[signature]
If you do end up at the Gorge be mindfull of where the Wyoming state line crosses Lucerne Bay - pretty easy to stray north of the line out in open water. (see attached)

Remember the wind doesn't blow in Wyoming it sucks.

No matter where the waves are biggest best to know your limitation before venture onto big water.
[signature]
Thanks.

Yes, I learned at Willard Bay last Friday morning that its not much fun fishing in big waves. There weren't many boats out and the one guy I talked to came in saying that his wife was puking and his grandson was crying. We toughed it out and it calmed down in the early afternoon, but I didn't have enough gas to troll around much longer. We caught 2 crappie and 1 good sized wiper on blue/silver rattletraps. I learn something new every time I venture out.
[signature]
If you stay at Cedar Springs, you can fish the Jarvie Bay area for Kokanee.
Get a map of the Gorge to find Jarvie, if you don't know where it is.
It will be about a half mile ride to Jarvie Bay.
There is a dry camping area at Jarvie with toilets. You may want to try camping there.
A fish finder will show you the depth that the fish are holding.

Try squids and dodgers tipped with Berkley Power Maggots.
Small dodgers are all you will need. Place the squids no more that 8" behind the dodger. This allows the dodger to create movement for the squids.

I like squids in pink, orange, yellow and green.
I have grown to like squids with small blades in front of them.
[signature]
Thank you.

Its looking like Lodgepole campground now. My girlfriend and her 13 year old son are from Colorado and want to stay in pine trees. They are tired of staying in the "desert". Haha.It is close to Cedar Springs. I will launch from the marina there. I will head over to Jarvie Bay and check it out for sure.

I am also going to hit Strawberry for a couple of days on the way back. Aspen Grove campground and then just stick to the Soldier Creek area.
[signature]
Thanks.

I am definitely going to brave out Flaming Gorge. Just in the Utah area close to the dam.

I will be able to get some more experience under my belt by the time my Flaming Gorge trip comes around. I have 4 day work weeks and will be going somewhere within a couple hours of Tooele every Friday.
[signature]
Thanks Potsy.

Yes, I will need to find my "cut off" as far as the wind goes as well.

I was nearly ready to turn around at Willard Bay last Friday morning. The guy at the gate to the Marina said the wind speed was 15 mph.The waves were kind of bad.

I bet at Strawberry it is much worse and I would be turning around and coming home.
[signature]
This is a good post. I would have never thought of Strawberry as one the harder lakes to fish due to rough waves. To me 15mph winds aren't terrible but I have never seen Strawberry, nor in those conditions.

Are 15mph waves at the 'Berry comparable to 2 foot wind chop or worse? I have spent quite a bit of time on rough water in the ocean but it seems as if it is much different than here--atleast by the way it is described.

Getting to know your rig is essential as someone said above. I have pushed 4 footers in the ocean in a 16ft boat. Needless to say it was incredibly sketchy and we were pretty much forced to ride it out as we couldn't hold a bearing back to port due to wave and wind direction. The bilge was running non-stop, life jackets were on and radio was in hand. I'll never forget it, thats for sure.
[signature]
That boat shouldn't weigh enough to prohibit you from taking your camper with you?
Just get a hitch extension and a wire extension and you should be good.
Strawberry is a nice reservoir, Flaming Gorge is an AMAZING reservoir.
You will have fun at both, but FG will keep you up at night dreaming of your next trip there.
[signature]
This convinced me of what must be done. Flaming Gorge it is!5 days booked at Lodgepole campground. (10 miles south of Cedar Springs). I can use the facilities down lower, like the showers and marina though. This campground also has flush toilets. My girlfriend won't go to the bathroom in the outhouses. Also, we both wanted some cooler weather at 8,000 feet and some shade.

I will make day trips to Strawberry on Fridays or even one day camping from now until my bigger trip.

Thanks again everyone. You've all been helpful. [fishon]
[signature]
You will have a good time.
Hungry smallies along the shoreline, pup macs and kokes between 15'-45' down, nice rainbows along the shore( if using bait don't cast out too far), and big macs if you are willing to work for them.
This reservoir is only missing one thing! Walleyes for shore lunches.
[signature]