Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BFT day at Causey (Report 12-24-03)
Wiperslayer and I arrived at Causey a little before 8am and
parked on the south side of the dam. We walked downed the dam and the first BFT member we saw was Skeeter2 and the group he was with,(sorry I didn't get everyones name). We went around the corner toward the south fork and drilled a couple of holes. The slayer had almost fifteen fish before I decided my hole just wasn't happening, so I drilled another hole about 15ft closer to shore and had my first one on before my jig hit bottom. It was non stop action for over an hour for 8 & 9 inch splake and 11 to 13 inch kokes. We were using glow in the dark ice flys and Rat finkies, I was also using one of Tube Dudes bait bugs, we tipped everything with either meal worms or wax worms.
Around 10am Polokid showed up with One_eyed_jack, Aquaman, Gulfstream and I think fish4fish.(sorry if I got your names wrong guys). Not long after they started fishing, we heard a voice from above and we looked up and saw Hookedchica at the overlook of the dam, she was asking how to get down to where we were, Polo gave her directions and then made a comment about seeing an angel. After a while she showed up with her Dad and the last of BFT crew had arrived. The catching slowed down for a while but around 12 noon a school of kokes moved through and the action was non stop for another 20 minutes or so, I think just about everyone had one on. PK and OEJ got their limits and WS and I got our limits. Around 12:30pm a few of us left, it sure was hard to leave when the fish were still biting but after all it is Christmas eve. When it was all said and done WS and I had caught over 65 fish but only keep the eight kokes.
It was a great morning on the ice, it was good to meet some BFT members I haven't meet before and see the guys I've meet before, I know I'll be up there again, soon. Merry Christmas everyone. WH2
[signature]
Sounds like you had a good day on the lake. I hope you all had a lot of fun and good company. I am still waiting for my Auger adapter I bought off of ebay and I will see how that works. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.
[signature]
it was nice meeting and BSing with you guys had a blast glad those kokes came thur since my wife put me on the spot by telling the in-laws i was going to bring them some salmom they were biting so fast limited out and had to start tossing them back down the hole the members user name your thinking about is " gulfstream " also have to say those kokes taste great cooked up a couple fillets when i got home
[signature]
I could cnack om anice juicy koke fillet right now!!![Wink]
[signature]

[signature]
whoops!!
Just wanted to say THANKS to you guys and gal. had a great time, the kokes are tasty, first one i've ate in years. see ya next time. maybe saturday.
[signature]
I knew you had a fish in your user name somewhere, now I know. It was good meeting you yesterday, how did you guys do after we left? Here are a couple of pictures I took yesterday. WH2
[signature]
How do you get to Causey, and how good are the roads up there. It might be fun to go there some time over the weekend. Thanks

Fishkid
[signature]
There are a couple of ways to get there depending on where you are coming from, here are the directions that a couple of people have posted in the last few days: 1. Mustyhunter's
directions, take 12th street exit in ogden head straight east about 10 or so miles you will come to Pineview,keep heading east to Huntsville you will pass a little shopping complex with a convienent store and about a mile or so north you will come to a sign that says Monti Cristo hang a right up that canyon 8 miles or so there will be a sign that say Causey Dam 1 more mile and your there. Its all paved road I drove the car up there on Sunday without any trouble. There will be a little resturant/store on your left at the turn off 1 mile below the dam.
2. Flyfishingmoose's directions, "I-15 to Highway 89 to I-84 exit @ Mountain Green go thru town until you hit the Sinclair station then turn left (that is SR 167 "Trappers Loop") At the Bottom of SR 167 turn right go past the Sinclair station and the Chevron station at the next right about 1/4 - 1/2 mile past Chevron turn right thats SR 39 now you're heading up Southfork canyon continue up the canyon until you see the RedRock Outfitters sign, turn right that is the road to Causey continue east until the road starts to climbyou will have to opportunity to go across the dam or go out the north fork towards the scout camp go across the dam and there is parking around there.
We followed the Moose's directins, the roads were good yesterday. Good luck if you go, maybe we will see you there. WH2
[signature]
Thank you for all of your help. Thanks

Fishkid
[signature]
I know I should make some New Years resolutions to kick some habits, but my new Koke habit isnt one that I will want to kick!!![cool] That was way too much fun, I had never caught a koke before, and that was way too much fun. I enjoyed hanging out with all you BFT folks at Causey, and yes you too steph!!!! When we left Mr. DWR officer was interested in our bag of koke fillets. He wanted to count them, but I think he was hoping I would watch so he could steal some. THe funny thing about him, is I recited the 2003 proclamation to him, and he had no clue about limits or anything at the lake. I think I frustrated him.

I told everyone there I will organize the first official BFT ice fishing party for 2004. I am hoping for a perch party on Rockport or echo. Details coming in the next few day, depending on ice conditions!!! Merry Christmas!!!
[signature]
WH2 cought a few more splake and checked out Gulfstreams Aquaview, that thing is deffinitely cool. Things were really slow so I packed it up leaving the die hards (Aqua and Gulf) to bring up the rear. Beautiful country up there, I need to get up that way some more.
[signature]
After the DWR officer talked to you guys he talked to us, we gave him a few details about what we were using and before he left some guys pulled up and ask him what to use to catch Kokes, he told them the exact same thing we told him, oh well, you have to find them first. Here are a couple more pictures I took yesterday. WH2
[signature]
It looks pretty steep. WHich path did you take to get down?
[signature]
Stright down from where I took those pictures from the top.
It's not too bad going down but we had to stop a few times on the way up. This is on the south side of the dam. WH2
[signature]
awh, polo you even had fun with me?? lol... [Wink] i had a wonderful time with everyone. i only knew a few of the guys, so i was able to meet several more bfter's. yes, the dam is a bit steep, but i made it down!! i moved in on rob's stuff again and was able to pull out a few kokes, which was exciting. i've never seen them before and they are beautiful fish! my pops and i came a bit unprepared, so we ended up rigging these makeshift rat finki's by cutting up a whatta cricket and putting them on smaller jigheads. it worked fine for my dad and polo's rig worked fine for me[angelic]. the splake would bite just about anything, but the kokes liked those little ice flies, it seemed.

thanks everyone for the great time! i'm looking forward to saturday at lost creek...

hookedchica
[signature]
It was Christmas Eve, I was in the sharing mood!!! [cool]
[signature]