Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dry Fly Terrestrial Questions
It all depends to all 3 questions.You can read whole books on this. I could easily write a few thousand word response but I won't. I'll briefly tell you my experience. Terrestrials generally work better late morning to dusk. Dusk is typically best if the fish are more selective or have seen a lot of terrestrials. Uneducated and less selective fish you can do well all day. My favorite are the very realistic foam hopper patterns in grey, brown or green. They seem to fool many trout even after hoppers have been fished heavily and they are not striking other hopper patterns. Just splat them down on the edges of bigger streams and right into the middle of pools on smaller streams. If hoppers aren't producing move on to beetles and ants. And legs matter as does a dead drift if you don't get an immediate strike on a hopper pattern. I'd suggest skipping reading the books on this and use that time on the stream learning as so much is stream dependent as well.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Dry Fly Terrestrial Questions - by Browntrout - 06-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Re: [Browntrout] Dry Fly Terrestrial Questions - by Joe_Hill - 06-20-2014, 10:14 PM