Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horizontal Rod Rack
[cool][size 1]The holidays gave me some time to finish putting together my first attempt at a horizontal rod rack. Took some cutting, fitting, "Dremelizing" and rethinking, but I came out with something I am sure will be more workable for lots of tubers and tooners.[/size]

[size 1]One pleasant surprise is that the total rack...with rope, cord, glue and everything...came out to only 2.2 pounds. that is better than the extra pound plus of the four tube vertical rack I have been using.[/size]

[size 1]I think I will also like not having vertical rods to interfere with hooksets...or backcasts when waving a flyrod. On almost every trip with the vertical rod holders I find myself untangling the result of a lure that comes zinging back towards me (and the rods)...as a result of a missed strike...or a fish getting off.[/size]

[size 1]Also, in the heat of battle, or trying to change rods quickly to reach boiling fish, the flat rack will be easier to both extract a rod or to lay one down. This minimizes the potential of missing the vertical holder and watching a rod sink into the depths.[/size]

[size 1]My first experiment included adding rings of soft foam insulation rings...used to insulate pipes against freezing. These hold the rods and handles snugly and protectively, but tear loose too easy. They would need regular maintenance or replacement.[/size]

[size 1]My final means of holding the rods securely on the horizontal model was to attach partial rings of PVC pipe...larger for the handles and smaller for the rod part...1 1/4" and 1/2" PVC. When they are screwed down with 1/2" machine screws they fit tightly, but can be epoxied or PVC glued for added stability.[/size]

[size 1]I added a length of stretch cord at the end that holds the handles. It can be looped up over all rods...or individual ones. This is a good feature to prevent loss during rough water launching or beaching.[/size]

[size 1]I tried the holders with fly rods, ultralight and heavy spinning and with baitcasting. It works for any kind of rod and reel setup.[/size]

[size 1]After playing around with this new model, I feel that I could reduce both the size and weight by eliminating the cross bars...or by having only one cross bar at the outside edge. The weight of the system vs the weight of the rods to be supported is not a great ratio.[/size]

[size 1]This system used 4 T's and 6 elbows...plus about six feet of 1/2" schedule 40 PVC. total expense...including nylon rope and stretch cord will be less than six dollars.[/size]
[signature]
I think I am going to buy up stock in "PVC" [Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2073;]

nice racks ya got there.

ya got me thinkin about some wall mounts for my next residency....[cool]
[signature]
[size 3]That PVC is some great stuff. I built clothesline racks, rabbit cages and I have my current project building my M-O-A-T (Mother Of All Tubes). Coming soon to a body of water near you.[/size]
[signature]
Looks great TD! Glad it seems to have worked out. Does it tend to lean down if the rack is weighted down too heavily, for example if you have a couple of large, heavy rods mounted on the outer two holders?

I finished my two-pole rod holder and my single rod holder for my tube. I used an extra long cross bar between the two holders on the 2 piece, so later I'd still have enough length to cut it in half and convert it to a 3 rod holder. All I need now is to find some velcro strapping so it will hold my fly rod in. Maybe I can find it at a craft store?
[signature]
Craft stores, or I've seen them in Lowe's too, over by the ropes and chains.

ES
[signature]
[Smile][size 1]Hey, cat_man, you can find velcro strips in the sewing and fabric section at Wally World. Just be careful you don't let anyone you know see you hanging out in the "girls'" department.[/size]

[size 1]On that horizontal holder, I made a modified version that is both lighter and also addresses the potential for sagging under weight. It will ride up at an angle, but still be low enough to allow casting, hooksets, etc. I put it together yesterday, but haven't installed it and taken pics yet. COMING SOON.[/size]

[size 1]With all of the "weather" you guys are having up there, it is likely to be awhile before you are able to try out your new rod holders on the water. But, be ready to launch before the end of February. I have taken lots of prespawn walleyes around Lincoln Beach at that time.[/size]
[signature]
Hey thanks emuscud. I got a HomeDepot like 5 min from my house maybe I'll look there first.
[signature]
Thanks TD. I'm excited to get out and try it out. Utah Lake has frozen over and then melted 2 or 3 times now, but with all these storms it's finally completely capped over. Not sure on ice thickness but you're right it doesn't last long it's too warm here in the valley, and Feb and March always have plenty of wind to accelerate the ice off. I've seen the ice pile up on the windward (East) shores as high as lie 6 -8 feet on the beaches.

I'm trying to get my little bro converted to tubing by the pre-spawn so he can come out with me. I've pretty much won him over, just need to get him to fork out the cash for a tube and fins.

So, what works best on the walleye pre-spawn. I've caught a couple out near the bubble-up where the pipe ends and releases it's water, but they were few and far between and I caught them on a chartruese and red jig reeled in straight with no jigging action near the bottom. For Christmas I got some jig skirts from Sportsman's: some black with purple tails, and some purple sparkle. I assume they're good colors for walleye but not sure. Any suggestions?
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Good luck on the conversion. Once you get him started, he will be hooked. Do you know anyone who might lend him a craft to try out. That usually does it.[/size]

[size 1]I have also seen the big piles of ice around the lakes up there when the wind breaks up the cap. Almost had one of those catch me on Starvation. I noticed a change in the wind and saw the ice sheet start moving toward where I was fishing open water along the dam. I kicked over to the bank and ran up the slope just ahead of the ice sheet hitting the dam and pushing about thirty feet up on it.[/size]

[size 1]Usually the best all around color for early 'eyes is chartreuse. However, depending on water clarity, they will also hit white...in clear water...or black or purple in more colored water.[/size]

[size 1]You are right about the slow retrieve. They are still sluggish in the cold water, and won't move far or fast to intercept a lure. Low and slow...and be ready to set the hook whenever you feel anything unusual. They sometimes just take a hold, and you feel only a "rubber band" pull on the line.[/size]

[size 1]Keep a watch on the changing conditions and try to get some readings on water temps when the lake opens up for good.[/size]
[signature]
[#800000][size 2]Ah, why horizontal?[unsure] What wrong witj vertical?[blush][/size][/#800000]
[signature]
One of these days, I should make up some instructions on how to make the PVC rod rack that I have. I just made another one yesterday because my old one cracked pretty good a while back when I tossed it onto the lawn from my truck. [Sad] Mine is also a horizontal rack, and it's a very simple design and I don't have any complaints with it myself. Also a bonus with this rack, if you build it to only hold 3 rods it will float in the water if it ever came off your tube for some reason...
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Welcome to our float tubing forum. There are no apologies necessary for your "intrusion". We welcome your visit and I will try to address your questions in an email.[/size]

[size 1]I have fished both sides of Baja...Pacific Cortez. I do not claim to be an authority, but I do have some experience and I have read several books and articles on this area, so I should be able to help somewhat.[/size]

[size 1]And, since you will be launching your Zodiac from beaches, just like we do with float tubes, there is some similarity in our sports.[/size]

[size 1]As I will ask in a personal email, it is important to know WHEN you are planning your trip...and which route you plan to take. You can follow the highway down the Pacific side, which then cuts across the Baja peninsula and continues along the Cortez side to the Cape. Or, you could go down the Sonora coast of the Sea of Cortez, and maybe take the ferry across to Santa Rosalia and pick up the Baza highway there.[/size]

[size 1]Depending on the time of year, there might be some places along the California coast you would want to try for white seabass, halibut or yellowtail. With a Zodiac, you can get just outside some of the inshore kelp and find good fishing.[/size]

[size 1]And, if you enter Mexico at Tijuana...going through Ensenada...there are many "fish camps" along the Pacific coast of Baja where you can launch your inflatable and quickly reach some excellent fishing.[/size]

[size 1]Only during the warmer summer months can you expect to find the larger pelagic soecies...like tuna or "mahi mahi" (called dorado in Mexico). The closer you get to the southern tip of Baja, the better your chances. [/size]

[size 1]For the best shot at these fish, and maybe some roosterfish or sailfish, think about the "East Cape"...along the Cortez north of Cabo San Lucas. The fish often come well within range of small boats in that area, and the accomodations are much lower in price than the "jet set" facilities in Cabo.[/size]

[size 1]That's just a generalization, and I will need more info to give more specific recommendations. We can communicate by email...or, if you will register on the BFT board, we can also send Private Messages within the system.[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Tomegun, my friend, it's just another option. [/size]

[size 1]"Everyone to their own tastes" said the old maid, as she kissed the cow.[/size]

[size 1]I personally prefer the vertical rack, for a variety of reasons, but I had been asked to come up with a couple of designs for something different. Quite a few tubin' bassaholics have adopted the horizontal system and seem to like it better. So, I figured DON'T KNOCK IT 'TIL YOU'VE TRIED IT.[/size]

[size 1]I haven't had one on the water yet. I will finish my latest rendition and post pics in the next couple of days. Then, within a couple of weeks my social calendar (and the weather) should allow me to take it out and put it through the paces.[/size]

[size 1]How are you doing in your search for an alternative craft?[/size]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, Alex, we would like to see some pics of your new rack. I have seen different angles of it mounted on your tube, but never a full shot. You don't need to post a full architectural rendering, but a few notes and suggestions might be helpful.[/size]

[size 1]The concept of flotation is good. If you cap all the end points on the PVC, it will essentially be an air filled chamber...flotation. I have seen other racks where guys have build in a piece of lightweight and colorful swimming "noodles". These aid in visibility for the angler and extra flotation. I might even incorporate that on my latest model.[/size]
[signature]
I want one! But I only want a 2 rod one. You make it and I'll pay for it![cool]

And A fishfinder mount on it too!![Tongue]

Aaron G
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, TubeN2, you wanna contract a PVC project?[/size]

[size 1]Hey Aaron, do you have your sonar picked out yet? The type of transducer you get will make a difference in how the mount goes.[/size]

[size 1]The good thing about a slant or horizontal rod rack is that you can set them up with tube for as many or as few rods as you want...but you can stack up more if you want to...or only take out a couple, even if you have holders for more.[/size]
[signature]
i don't know yet, I found this one on Cabelas that has a floating transducer for 65.00[shocked]

Fish cat 4

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0017284316448a&navAction=jump&navCount=0&indexId=&podId=0017284&catalogCode=IE&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jhtml?id=0017284316448a&navAction=jump&navCount=0&indexId=&podId=0017284&catalogCode=IE&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true[/url]

Hawk eye portable fish finder

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0017449015667a&navAction=jump&navCount=1&indexId=&podId=0017449&catalogCode=IE&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0017449015667a&navAction=jump&navCount=1&indexId=&podId=0017449&catalogCode=IE&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true[/url]

Aaron
[signature]
Go ahead and send him my way. If he's ready, I can help him.
[signature]
Hey dh tubinaaron, even with the hawkeye, you will still need something to stabilize the floating transducer. That is not a big problem. Just let me know what kind of tube you have and we can whip something up real quick.

I will be glad to help you.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey, Aaron, I don't think I would spend the money on that HawkEye...by Norcross. It works off a small 9 volt battery and has a nothing display screen. If you are going to get sonar, get one that will show you a picture of what is below you...and allows you to truly see beneath the water. I don't think this one has much value besides being able to read the depth.[/size]

[Image: i016215vr02.jpg]
[signature]