Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a bit of worm for kokanee
I know kokanee aren't usually meat eaters. However, I've been catching kokanee on Cascade with a three bladed troll and a small spinner tipped with a bit of worm. Has anyone else gotten kokanee on a worm? If so, where?

Physion
[signature]
Cascade! Also, Payette Lake. Mike
[signature]
Ririe, PaliSades, and Island park. When they are biting really good it doesn't seem to matter what bait you use, i've caught them on bare hooks ice fishing.
[signature]
While you can catch them on almost anything on any given day . . . that doesn't mean it's necessarily the optimum way you could be fishing.
[signature]
Been chasing the kokes at Ririe for a couple of seasons now, so by no means an expert, but I always use a bit-o-worm on a two hook rig (spiner or hoochie)and then sweeten each hook with a kernel of juiced up shoepeg... Seems to work well.
[signature]
[quote psanders71]Been chasing the kokes at Ririe for a couple of seasons now, so by no means an expert, but I always use a bit-o-worm on a two hook rig (spiner or hoochie)and then sweeten each hook with a kernel of juiced up shoepeg... Seems to work well.[/quote]

Not sure why you would need the worm when you have shoepeg, one of the best baits there is if it's been soaked in scent and color for 24 hours prior to using.

PaliSades is one of the few lakes where I use something other than scented shoepeg for bait. For some reason those kokes love bay shrimp out of the can, microwaved for just a few seconds and then scented.

At Flaming Gorge, where corn will soon be legal, we've been using scented and colored Gulp Maggots for bait. I'd vote these as the best all around alternative to colored and scented shoepeg.
[signature]
+1, I like soaking my pink Gulp maggots in Mikes shrimp Glow Scent and tipping the hooks with a couple of them, they are pretty tough. They work well for us on the Gorge as well as Strawberry.
[signature]