Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PKoking the Pig
Had a chance to hit the Pig with Petty4Life, and was glad for the opportunity. He showed me how to catch 'em, I showed him how to release 'em!

[inline "Welcoming skies.jpg"]
Had a tackle box full of various baits and offers, but it was [url "http://www.kokaneetackle.com/p-685-northwest-tackle-epic-spinner.aspx"]Epic Spinners[/url] all day (well, morning, until we limited out and left). Bit gloomy, bit rainy - ok - it poured like hell at times, but we got on fish fast, and kept finding them. The last few were a bit tenacious, and I even showed Petty how to release a few before or at the net.

[inline "Rigm and Roll.jpg"]

[inline "Getting Down on it.jpg"]

Only a couple other boats on the lake. Nice to see downriggers put to REEL work. About 30-35 feet seemed to be the happy depth. Chatted up another boat that had shared the lake for the morning, and they had learned to like the spinners too. They were doing pretty good too.

[inline "Off on the right foot.jpg"]

[inline "Yotes Pig in a Koke.jpg"]

Thanks again for the ride and the tips Jason. Nice to see how its done - again and again and again!

[inline "Bagged Limit.jpg"]
Nice going John and Jason, it is nice to finally get some decent fish out of the Pig, it has been a number of years since they averaged this size, hopefully next year will be even. It looks like you guys had the same wet conditions we did. You going to smoke some of those kokes?
[signature]
[#484848]Nice ....... It's better in the rain.[/#484848]
[#484848][/#484848]
[#484848]I decided to smoke em whole, minus the innards of course. I saw something on diners, drive-ins, and dives once and decided to try it. (Picture attached from other post)[/#484848]
[#484848][/#484848]
[signature]
Nice looking smokies. Butterflied? Very nice. Do you give 'em a brine soak first?

I think I will smoke some, but my folks will be out in a few days, and my dad has a "Thursday night fish night" - he usually cooks Salmon on the grill (outside! at my mum's bequest). And I think they'd quite enjoy this presentation.

Seasoned, stuffed with bacon ends and bits, and parchment steamed with wild-caught asparagus, carrots, onions. I had two - and I'M stuffed!

Heard of the Cat in the Bag, how about the Koke?
[inline "In the Bag.jpg"]

[inline "Wild Asparagus Kokanee.jpg"]

Roated Garlic Couscous, and a sprinkle of Tomato Basil Feta
[inline "Dished Out.jpg"]

Meanwhile - I've got a stock pot of rolly-polly fishheads/veggies steaming - making some fish stock. Waste not, want more!
[#000000]Looking Good ...... Eat well friend.[/#000000]

No ...... I don't use brine anymore, I pack them overnight in kosher salt, and white and brown sugar.

Is the wild asparagus the Cache Valley kind, where you have to sneak up on it while the farmers not looking?
We used to raise some of that on our farm.
[signature]
Nice job John and Jason looks like you had a great day!!! Man I wish I could get out after them, this is driving me nuts. Maybe tomorrow I'll get caught up baring any more breakdowns. Got that new rigger I'm dieing to try, but still got farming that has to get done so I can't think about it for awhile longer. But great job guys. Later J
[signature]
Wow very nice take for the day.[cool]
[signature]
Just the wild-ditch kind. One veggie that sure is fragrant, if you know what I mean! haha. Had some "tips" on where to find some (get it?). Made some Fried Perch Filets and Sparaguts/peppers the other day.

[inline "100_2502 - 400.jpg"]

Kevin - if it weren't for me feeling sorry for the little silver guys and letting them go - we've had hit our limits much earlier. Since Jason was doing such fast catching, I kept getting accused of knocking his off rather than netting them up! They sure do go haywire when the reeling stops. Aerial acrobatics and all!

I think they know a few of them Walleye headshake tricks TD talks up.
THANKS FOR COMING AND HANGING OUT IN THE RAIM WITH ME JOHN
[signature]
Great job on the Kokes. I used to catch some nice ones years ago.
It looks like I might make it out in the boat Thursday . I can't decide
where i would like to go just yet. Ultimately it would be Flaming George,
But I would be in trouble if I did an overnighter with family arriving on the
4th. Strawberry or Porcupine are sixes.
I do have a question. Do you mind sharing the kind of spinners you
guys were using. Or is that a secret? You mentioned Eric spinners
are they manufactured or a friends secret weapon? Either way thanks
Steve[email][/email]
[signature]
Me and my fat fingers. EPIC spinners, Jason has a link on his sig-line. I corrected my spelling, and made it a link.

[url "http://www.kokaneetackle.com/p-685-northwest-tackle-epic-spinner.aspx"]Epic Spinners[/url] Here again. Few beads, wedding, ring, and a couple sharp sharp hooks.
Tip 'em with a little white shoepeg corn (IF you're NOT! In Utah!!!) - or some other chewy bit and some scent.

They seem to like pink and white, but my experience is very limited, as is my catching and netting skilz!

We spent a fair amount of time in 70ft of water, running 30-60feet behind the ball, and about 30ft depth seemed to be where the most noise was.

Jason, again - appreciated the opportunity. Love to do it again anytime. Just wish my day-job didn't require me at work during - the day - and during - the week.
Hey Yote got your note on the Cat contest and yes I would have preferred the Kokes to eat but prefer to fight the cats they are really tearing things up lately on the fights. Later J
[signature]
Forgive me, but where is the Pig, and how did it get its name?
No forgiveness - - - necessary that is.

Porcupine Reservoir - up from Paradise, south end of Cache Valley. I've always assumed it's nicknamed from Porcupine -> shortened to Porky -> twisted into the Pig, as in Porky the Pig of Bugs Bunny fame.

One of a few Utah lakes that hold Kokanee, landlocked salmon. The spawn is quite a sight late summer/fall. Inlet river is on fire with all the reds running.
Has some Cutts, Bows, and big Browns. Brookies I'm told too.

Here's a map
[inline Porcupine.JPG]

or with the Topo glasses on:
[inline PorcupineTopo.JPG]

Oh, and it's a wakeless lake.
With your inspiration i tried my hand at the Butterly Effect. Think my technique needs some refining, but I like my brine mix right where it is.
Didn't want them to be lonely, so I asked some Kitties to keep them company.

Also fired up a "smoked pizza" - but after the major smoke chunks were spent. Had a nice "brick oven" effect on the pizza.

[inline "Butterfly Effect.jpg"]

Mixed up a dip of cream cheese, chopped celery, red onion, red pepper, and some spices. Oh, and smoked salmon. Hit it with the cuisinart till it was fluffed.
[#484848]Hey good for you to get out again.[/#484848]
[#484848]I tried your dip recipe this morning for the family. I added a little Inglehoffer creamy horseradish to your mix to give it a little more kick. I like it, but i'll see if my family gives it a favorable rating,[/#484848]
[#484848]Thanks for the recipe.[/#484848]
[#484848][/#484848]
[#484848]Do you put pizza in your smoker?[/#484848]
[signature]
I did, most of the chips had died down, but still makes a nice hot oven, kinda a brick oven effect.

[inline "Smoker Za.jpg"]
Yep ..... They liked the dip. I had to make another batch and low and behold, they took what was left of the second batch home with them.
You have a winner there.
[signature]