Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick UL Report 6/28
Hit Utah Lake this morning near Lindon with hopes of landing something for the cat contest. Sadly, still nothing contest worthy. Launched the tube about 6:30 am and fished 'til about 10. This last little cold front seemed to have slowed down the action just a little, but still managed a few.
[inline P1000583.JPG]

[inline P1000584.JPG]

I saw a crane when I first launched. Pretty. Kinda hard to see, but she's there.

[inline crane.jpg]

Catch of the day was a 26.5 incher. We're gettin' closer.

[inline P1000589.JPG]

All cats were caught on carp meat. Which I'm now officially out of by the way. (I keep forgetting to bring a bag to put them in, so I don't slime/stink up the car.[Image: happy.gif])

Anyways, the weather was absolutely beautiful. 65 degrees all morning, with a gentle breeze. I've realized that weekend mornings are as good as, if not better fishing, than the weekends. Hardly any boats are fishing (avoiding the power squadron), and the power squadron doesn't start up 'til 10 or so. You guys can keep staying off the water on the weekends, I won't mind. [sly]
[signature]
Good going, you did well. Nothing like getting towed around by those big boys in a tube! How deep of water were they biting?
[signature]
Nice cats. We are gaining on those northern guys so keep those cats coming.

I'm back after 'em after a short trip to the Portland area to keep sweet-wife happy. Ever notice all the weird people in an airport? Dorthy was right, there is no place like home.

I begin a steady night shift this week. I'm on the water any time after mid-night and I'll labor away until daylight. Love it. Full moon due next week will make it even better.

Attached pic shows how I cut up white bass for bait and the hook behind a hook I like to use. I cut the wb up on a band saw after they are frozen... slick. I use a single hook under a bobber and a double hook for dragging bait. I like to use wb and carp meat. I wanted to freeze a carp and try cutting it up on my band saw but I encountered some very un-lady like language when I mentioned putting a "stinking carp" in wife's freezer. I sometimes use a whole or a big half of a wb with the double hook setup. And... for the discriminating catfish, I'll use a wb head on the first hook and a nice chunk of carp on the second... kind of a buffet offering.

Anyway, nice cat FMF. We will ultimately win this thing by multiple inches. [Wink]

The best is yet to come.

BLK
[signature]
The best action was fairly shallow, about 3 ft. of water. I had bites pretty much all over though. They seem to be holding up a little closer to structure right now.
[signature]
Cutting the fish up with a saw while it's frozen... Why didn't I think of that? Great idea.

Yeah, I think we'll come away victors when all is said and done. I've seen quite a few 30+ inchers taken out of Utah Lake this summer, Sadly most of them are not part of the contest. I need to plan more night trips. Me and UtahLakeCats did an evening trip (7-10) a few days ago and the bugs were terrible. Are they a little better farther out from shore? I need to invest in one of those "head nets" the Willard folk keep talking about.
[signature]
My last night trip was about ten days ago and the bugs were not bad... few skeeters is all. When the bugs are bad they can be really bad and it makes it not so fun to breathe while fishing. I'll be out again Mon. night and will report on airborne protein encountered then.

Still, the best is yet to come.

BLK
[signature]