Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transom Rebuild
I need to rebuild the transom on my 14 Mirrocraft. It looks pretty straight forward. What would be the best type of wood to use? I keep reading about marine grade plywood and some other plywood called Arauco. But it also seems that its split 50/50 on using the marine grade plywood.

What can I seal the wood with also? I dont want to have to rebuild it every year.

Heres what it looks like now.
[signature]
Marine grade plywood is just plywood that uses marine grade (waterproof) glue and has no voids in the laminate so that the strength is even and equal throughout the entire sheet. It can be of exotic woods, but is also available in fir and other common woods.

You can seal the wood with any good weather proofing sealant, like Thompsons.

It would be really good if you sealed the wood with a 2 part marine epoxy. That would make it really waterproof.

I would recommend using a piece of regular 3/4 plywood and after you have it all cut to size, covering it with a coat of marine epoxy, then another. It should last several years at least.
You can use regular ply because it is a pad for the motor and not the main structural member of the hull, so some minor voids are OK.

When you do the inside piece you may want to use something like Ipe, well oiled for a nice look and it has the strength to mount rod holders and things like that to it.
[signature]
Thanks. The one thing I am concerned about is the stuff to seal the wood with. I have heard some sealants will start to eat away at the aluminum.
[signature]
I am not aware of any sealants that eat away at Aluminum. That doesn't mean there are none out there, just that I have never heard of that problem.

I would google search it though, just for peace of mind.

All marine epoxies I have worked with, after cured, would not have a negative effect on aluminum.
[signature]