Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$18 Email Digital Camera

Hey there guys,

I just got a primo camera for $18 (new at a swapmeet) that is 1 1/2inches wide and 4 inches long. It's the Bell+Howell BH10. Check it out if you want a cheap camera for email use. 352x288 pixel for 20 pictures with less for 80 pics. Comes with CD software for USB installation, editing etc.

JapanRon
[signature]
I SAW A SIMILAR CAMERA AS YOU DESCRIBED AT WALLMART TODAY , $20.00 BUCKS .
LIGHT WEIGHT , FITS IN YOUR VEST OR TACKLE BOX , AND IF YOU DROP IT IN THE WATER OR GO FOR THAT UNINTENTIONAL SWIM IN THE MIDDLE OF FEBUARY AS I USUALLY DO , NO BIG DEAL !
ANOTHE JACKSON AND YOUR ALL SET TO GO !
[signature]
Does the camera look anything like this one? My girlfriend got it off the internet. It's about 2" wide, just over 1" tall, and about 1/2" deep. Holds 20 "high quality" pics and 80 "low-quality" pics. Can also be used as a webcam.
[signature]
the one i saw was about the size of one of those small cigar packs . yours looks like a nice pocket size . pretty cool , and a great price too ![Wink]

i cant wait to see some fishing pics from you now [cool].
[signature]
How does it work in water?? Just kidding. I am insalling some extra pockets on my waders and putting a neckcord on my camera. Just in case.
[signature]
Heh. The camera is kinda odd. If it can't get a clear pic, it won't even snap the shot. It's made as a keychain. I should taken it with me to the boat show today. Oh well. Maybe when I'm out at the ice-fishing contest next weekend I'll snap some shots.
[signature]
well it gets the job done [cool] . i've got a $40.00 dollar one from wall mart , now they got smaller ones for $20.00 . tubeN2 found binaculers that take the pics too .

heck , pretty soon we'll be pulling them outta cerial boxes[Wink] .
[signature]
Saw the binoculars at Walmart on Friday. Looked at them. Not for taking pics of fish. But defnitely worth considering for nature pics or sporting events or checkin' out what's wearing bikini's.

So anyway, I'll take it with me whenever I go fishing. Too bad I can't see what the pic comes out like until I connect it to my computer.
[signature]
Cereal boxes would be right. They are way to big for the Cracker Jacks boxes and way out of there league of their paper prizes.
[signature]
one thing i did find on these inexpencive digital cameras was that on at least mine was that the center (focal point ) was off . take a few practice shots with something dead center . see where it ends up in the photo display when you download . this will help you out on your next set of shots .
[signature]
I found out the same thing on mine. I always had to center my focus to what looked like 3" to the left an 4" up. Then my subject would be close to dead center.
[signature]
It's the same with the viewfinder on my girlfriend's more expensive camera. In order to get a well-aligned picture with her camera, I always use the screen otherwise it's always off.

Isn't that odd that all these camera's viewfinders aren't aligned properly?
[signature]

Hey there DrownedDesertRat,

Arhhhhhhhh First of all, no, mine looks different it's a Bell+Howell BH10. I've got the CD driver, instructions but now I can't find the camera[laugh][laugh][laugh].

So much for the blanky blanky thing for being so small. This is almost funny. When I find it, I may give you further details on how well it takes pictures. Sheeeeeh!

Oh ya, I made the mistake of only buying a 4 port USB hub and now I regret it. My printer, scanner, cam, digital camera are all on it and I don't have a port for my small camera.

JapanRon
[signature]
How many ports are built into the computer? I just installed a 2-port on my girlfriends because the two that the computer came with didn't work properly. Plus, she's got a 4-port extension so she has a total of 5 ports. But we don't need that many. Especially once we get the printer/scanner combination.
[signature]

Hi there DrownedDesertRat,

Most computers had 2 USB ports when I bought mine. You're right I've got two. BUT I also forgot to mention that I also have a digital camera flashcard reader and a zip 100 drive. My printer is not USB. I still need a bigger USB hub!![laugh][laugh]

JapanRon
[signature]
It's an easy upgrade with a 5-port (not sure where the 5th port comes into use, it's internal) installed in your computer. Something like $30 or $40. Or, simply take the 2nd port and get another 4-port extension plugged into it. Or Plus a couple more extentions into your current extension. Hehehe.
[signature]
Thats something I have to get on the ball this year is buying a digital camera. I've used the one-time use cameras before and once I would catch a nice fish I would want to see the picture of it so bad I would waste the rest of the pictures on junk, so I could get them developed. But it always comes back to haunt me as it did this summer. I caught a nice 22 inch largemouth and didnt have a camera to take its picture. So now I have a catch and release certificate on my wall with no picture of the fish[Sad].
[signature]
here's probably the best tip you can get with these inexpencive cameras ,

keep and take back up pics with that desposable camera too ![cool]

i've lost a few picks last year of some killer fish that i let go . either te batterys went dead or the button kept getting hit while in my vest , but it dose not save the pics 100% of the time . [mad]

your back up pics will always be there , just in case [Wink].
[signature]
I am not a big fan of disposible cameras eather, I use them when given to me, but I wont buy them, I still use my cannon when it is imparitive I get a good shot, there is just no way a digital will beat a cannon in this regard.

I do have a jam cam digital camera I paid $29.oo on sale, Its window frame is off to the right of off center abit, enough to the point when I turn my camera on its side every one gets a crew cut. It is a pain in the butt with batteries, but I Buy duricell copper tops for longer use of my camera. be sure to buy them fresh, old battires die fast. dont listen to what any one says about other batteries I have tried them all, even "the bunny" they just dont hold up. They cost more than other brands but if you compare them to the cost of film developing and disposible cameras, the price realy becomes not an issue any more. The other batterie brands are cheeper in cost, but you will have to buy twice as many batteries to take the same amount of pictures, that makes them more expencive to use than the duricells.

when taking your digital out in the cold, keep the batteris in your inside shirt or pant pockets to keep them worm. if they get cold your camera will not work. dont put batteries in you pocket with keys or loose change, the batteries can heat up to the point of melt down and spill acid and give you a nasty little burn not to mention put air conditioning in your pants.[shocked]

after all the pains of learning how to use the digital, I like it and take more pictures than ever befor, I got me a memory chip that cost more than the camera, and takes 4 battries to fill the chip up.

I have noticed that in some stores that a roll of film can cost as much as a disposible camera.

the best way to look at is is for the price of 10 disposible cameras you can have as nice of digitel camera you will ever have the need for. Just remember, the more you want the camera to do the more it will cost, and the more batteries you will need to operate the camera.
[signature]
Here's the $20 digital camera from walmart that I found on their website.
[url "javascript:photo_opener27http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/02/13/31/84/0002133184379_500X500.jpg,http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/02/13/31/84/0002133184379_500X500.jpg,http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/02/13/31/84/0002133184379_AV_60X60.gif,http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/02/13/31/84/0002133184379_AV1_60X60.gif,http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/02/13/31/84/0002133184379_AV2_60X60.gif,http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/02/13/31/84/0002133184379_AV3_60X60.gif29"][/url][url "javascript:photo_opener27http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/02/13/31/84/0002133184379_500X500.jpg,http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/02/13/31/84/0002133184379_500X500.jpg,http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/02/13/31/84/0002133184379_AV_60X60.gif,http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/02/13/31/84/0002133184379_AV1_60X60.gif,http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/02/13/31/84/0002133184379_AV2_60X60.gif,http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/02/13/31/84/0002133184379_AV3_60X60.gif29"][/url][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=2641;]

Accessories Included USB connector cable, standing base, photo and video editing software [Image: spacer.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Product Information [Image: spacer.gif] Camera Style: [Image: spacer.gif] Ultra Compact [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] MegaPixels - Total: [Image: spacer.gif] 1.0-MP [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] MegaPixels - Effective: [Image: spacer.gif] 1.0-MP [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] LCD Display: [Image: spacer.gif] 0.75-inch [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Optical Viewfinder: [Image: spacer.gif] Yes [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Battery Type: [Image: spacer.gif] AAA [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Battery Quantity: [Image: spacer.gif] 2 [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Battery Charger: [Image: spacer.gif] No [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Max. Resolution: [Image: spacer.gif] 320 x 240 [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Memory Type: [Image: spacer.gif] CompactFlash [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Memory Included: [Image: spacer.gif] 16 MB [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Built-in Flash: [Image: spacer.gif] No [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Hot Shoe: [Image: spacer.gif] No [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Tripod Mount: [Image: spacer.gif] No [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] USB: [Image: spacer.gif] Yes [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] IEEE 1394 (Firewire): [Image: spacer.gif] No [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Movie Mode: [Image: spacer.gif] Yes [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Max. Shutter Speed: [Image: spacer.gif] 1/8 second [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Min. Shutter Speed: [Image: spacer.gif] 1/1000 second [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Manual Focus: [Image: spacer.gif] No [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Manual White Balance: [Image: spacer.gif] Yes [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Aperture Priority: [Image: spacer.gif] No [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Shutter Priority: [Image: spacer.gif] No [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] ISO: [Image: spacer.gif] 100-267 [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Uncompressed Format: [Image: spacer.gif] No [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] PC Compatible: [Image: spacer.gif] Yes [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] MAC Compatible: [Image: spacer.gif] No [Image: dottedline_500_white.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Size & Weight (LxHxW): [Image: spacer.gif] 0.5" X 4.8" x 1", 3.0 oz [Image: spacer.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] [Image: spacer.gif] Description[/url] Features & Benefits [ul] [li]Takes and stores up to 152 photos; perfect for parties, trips or just around the home [li]Photos are easy to download and email to friends and family [li]Shoots short video clips [li]Acts as a Web cam; edit and broadcast video over the Web for live chatting [li]Includes photo and video editing software[/li][/ul]

Specifications: [ul] [li]Low 100,000 pixel resolution helps reduce memory needs [li]Internal memory of 2 MB SDRAM; no memory slot for additional memory [li]Requires 2 AAA batteries, not included [li]Dimensions: 5"L x 1.2"W x 1"D [li]System Requirements: Windows 98, 2000, ME and XP compatible
[/li][/ul]
[signature]