Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Found rods in flaming gorge, want to clean them
Hey guys, I am a scuba diver and I love to spearfish the carp at the gorge. I find stuff every now and then. Well I found two rods (one on top of the other.... maybe a canoe tipped or somthing). Well, they have algae on them and it is hard as a rock. Can I clean them without damaging the rod, eyes, handle.....????? And with what do I clean them with...
[signature]
I really don't know for sure but you can try soaking them in Lime Away or a simuliar product.
[signature]
You shouldn't have said the word spearfish now no one will help you[Tongue] I find stuff all the time while freediving and spearfishing, everything from sunglasses, rods, ice augers, a trolling motor, a victor cutting torch, wallets, a bow, and of course lots of anchors(which I always give to passing boaters that aren't trying to run me over/curse at me). That algae/water deposit is hard stuff. Vinegar and hot water has worked best for me. Good luck
[signature]
Go to the hardware store and get a bottle of muriatic acid. Some places sell quart bottles and that's way more than you'll ever need.
Get a pair of safety GOGGLES not glasses, a pair of rubber gloves and a cheap 1" paint brush. Paint the muriatic on pretty heavy on a short section at a time. As soon as the fizzing stops, rinse the rod in running water, wipe it with a clean rag and repeat as necessary. Do the job in a well ventilated area and don't breathe the fumes. They are mostly chlorine gas and very harmful.
[signature]
Might work: digestive enzyme capsules at the health food store has enzymes to digest a variety of foods (normally in your stomach). It's advantage (if it works and particularly if the rod is expensive) is it will only attack the food (algae) and will be gentle on the rod. It's diSadvantage is it's slow and might not work. To test it, mix a capsule in a glass of water, dip in paper towels and wrap on all surfaces and then wrap with plastic wrap to keep it from evaporating. Forget about it for maybe a few days and later look to see if the algae is mush that rinses or wipes off.
[signature]
maybe just good old soap and water as long as its mild and time you really don't want to ruin the finish or the blank it self chemicals can ruin a rod the strongest stuff I ever use is rubbing alcohol hope this helps
[signature]
Like Murphy's oil soap.

Smells like pine, and has oils in it that should get the algae to release but not hurt the rod surface.

Start with this, then progress to vinegar then the acid if the first two don't work.
[signature]
Slow and easy would be my guide in this. I'd soak the rods in a mild solution of detergent for a good amount of time.

Buy an 8' section of PVC in the smallest diameter that will hold the largest line guide, plus an end cap. Put the rods in, set the PVC on an incline where it is out of the way and fill it with the solution of your choice. Cover with a loose cap of cellophane in case there is any outgassing. Check after a week and replace the solution if the job isn't done yet. Scrub with a soft brush when the algae has softened or dropped off.
[signature]
Thanks for all the advice fellow fishers. I'll post back later and let you know what worked....
[signature]
Hmm, uses for PVC beyond rod holders, and gizmo gadgetry. Me likey! You sire have answered the one questioned that nary been aksed. How do you cover a length of 6ft of rod - I've got a 1-piece in the Davey Jones attire... I think you gives me a better game plan. And I'm sure I could find SOME use for a stretch of PVC later.

Curious - the OP - have you tried any of the above mentiioned solutions as a solution?