Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Crappie
Anyone know if the crappie are still biting at Willard or is it mostly done for this year? I haven't been for a few weeks but May and early June was good around the North Marina.
[signature]
It is over for the year, you might be able to catch a few if you really know how to catch them but it will be tough.
[signature]
^^^ I agree...they are a bit tougher now but I still be catching them year round...Well, thats one of my favorite parish to eat...
[signature]
[#0000FF]Crappies move in around the marinas in the spring for the annual baby-making festivities. Once that it over they usually disperse throughout the lake until the return in the fall.

Right now they are acting like most of the other predators in Willard...cruising around and gulping down the new crop of baby shad. Those little tykes are just the right size for crappie food and there are plenty of them. Good for the crappies but bad for fishermen. Crappies aren't as desperate as they were before the shad spawn.

Folks will continue to catch a crappie here and another there. But no big concentrated schools in any given area. They will be right in there with wipers and walleyes chowing down on shad. And some are even caught on top water during the boils.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]