Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Fireworks at Starvy 7-3-14
[#0000FF]Yeah, I know. It ain't the fourth yet. Couldn't tell it in my neighborhood with all the early celebratin' though.

Met up with gofish435 from Price at Rabbit Gulch. We both got launched about 7ish...after having to search out a spot to park our vehicles. Never seen Bunny Gulch so filled up with camperites and power squadron folks with their noisy toys.

Shoulda stood in bed. Over an hour before my first bite. Pow,zing. A silly wainbow grabbed my jig off the bottom and shot up into the air. Then he turned loose. Silly fish didn't know how to hang on. Anyway, that rainbow rocket was the only shot we had at fireworks.

A little after 8 I got a slammin' whammin' on one of my perch painted tubes on a hanger shot rig. That 17 inch walleye fought bigger than he was. I invited him home to dinner. TubeBabe is out of town for a few days so that one fish would just about make a meal.

I rang up Tom on the walkie talkie to tell him of my minor triumph. He replied that he had just released a rainbow. Skunk be gone for both of us.

Now we could settled down for some serious fishin'. And it did get serious...seriously boring. Never seen the entire area of Rabbit Gulch so barren on sonar. Usually there are at lease some areas with a few fish. Neither Tom or I were seeing anything more than occasional "ghost bys".

I headed east toward the low rock piles across the channel. Tom worked up into shallower water, waving the buggy whip and trying to find more trout. I managed to lose another trout after battling it almost all the way in. But it went into the rainbow death roll and swam away untouched by me. But I did score a couple of dinky smallmouths by casting into shallower water near the rocks. The one in the attached picture took a Gulp minnow that was almost as big as the smallie.

Both Tom and I were surveyed by a DWR biologist. We were asked about our time on the water, our success, etc. Almost embarrassing to admit we had done so poorly. But the DWR guy said that we were doing better than anybody else he had surveyed. Oh yeah, Tom had to show off by landing a big ol' "buglemouth bass" just as the guy showed up.

My watch stopped at 9:45...but I kept fishing. In the next two hours I got one more smallie and one more walleye...a smalleye. Only 13", but just enough to assure a good meal for an old guy.

Just before noon the bell must have rung to release the noisy hordes. The water came alive with jet skis and water skiers. Couldn't tell which was worse, the waves from the power squadron or those from the increasing winds of the approaching storm. The former were definitely noisier.

Water temp at launch was 64. Dropped a degree in the clouds and persistent but changing breezes. Finally nosed up to just under 65 as we got off the water about 12:30.

We parted company and Tom was thinking about trying to find a more fisherman friendly part of Starvation. I wished him well.

I headed off down the road thinking I would beat a lot of the holiday traffic and have a quiet evening. That was until my right rear tire went suddenly flat as I was stuck in heavy traffic around Deer Creek, with a 1/4 mile until the next place I could get off the road. By then my tire was TOAST. Anybody care to guess how much fun it is to change a tire in 95 degree heat...after getting up at 3:30 in the morning...for a less than stellar day of fishing? At least my spare was fully aired up and I made it back home...only 45 minutes later than my original projected eta...and $138 poorer in my credit card account for the new tire.

Not sure I could have handled any more fireworks.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey Pat sorry to hear about the tire problem. That makes for a long day. Thanks for the CD it is going to take some time to go through it. I went over to the Camperworld boat ramp and launched. I fished there for another hour and caught three walleye that were all sized in between the two you caught earlier. I guess we should feel fortunate that we caught anything after talking with the DWR biologist. It was a fun day with a lot of laughs and I scored my first Starvation carp.[Wink]
[signature]
Looks like the water level is still above the large rocks, will be heading up there Sunday thru Tuesday after the crowds leave. I like to hit the bass around them. The SM have been hitting on my crayfish plastics at DC, thought they would there also.

Thanks
[signature]
[#0000FF]It was a pleasure sharing the lake with you again. Glad you found that other ramp and a few more fish too.

If you are going to catch any more of those carp...or any bigger ones...YOU GONNA NEED A BIGGER NET.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]The rock piles on both sides of the gulch are just emerging. Makes it easier to see them. There was a tournament up there 2 weeks ago and the smallies got hammered. But always a few good ones for someone who knows how to fish them. Your craw plastics should get the job done.

Good luck.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Bummer day dude....but Monday starts a new week with the power squadron at home[Smile]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Not so much. The past two or three years have seen a steady increase in the amount of traffic Starvy gets. Ever since the rainbows became more plentiful...and more catchable...there are a lot more folks hitting the lake just for trout. And once the trouters decide they like it lake it is ruint forever.

My two outings on Starvation so far this year have both been unproductive. Caught a few fish but not nearly enough to justify that drive. I could do better on lakes closer to home. Kinda Sad. Starvation has been my "special treat" water for several years and now it is just a long drive for mediocre fishing.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I hope it changes in the next year or so.
[signature]
You know it gotta be ruff fishin if the wise old dude of tubes couldn't come home with a grundle of fishy's for the fryer!
[signature]
[#0000FF]All angler's ego aside, I'd like to think I have learned enough about that lake to be able to score some fish if the fish are there to be scored. The fact of the matter was that there just weren't the numbers of fish...of any species...that there have been in past years. Ya cain't ketch 'em where they ain't.

I have recently been going back through my picture archives and cleaning up my files. When I look at the pics of trips past...and review my fishing logs for this time of year...I am Saddened by how the productivity of Starvation has declined. Gone are the days of 40 walleyes, 100 perch, 12 smallmouths and 8 - 10 big rainbows. Of course I never kept as many as I caught but the action was so much better.

The DWR guy who surveyed us mentioned that they recognize the downturn and are working to try to find some fixes. Hope they are successful.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
It would seem to me anyways that one year a place is hot. Then the next year or the year after, the place is not worth even looking at again.

That is why when I find a hot fishing spot these days I now take full advatage of what it has to offer while its still on fire.

Maybe its time to head back to UL TubeDude.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I've got plenty of places close by to keep me busy. At least busier than Starvation. It's just kinda hard breaking the old once a week at Starvy during the summer routine. But, I know when I'm not welcome and I won't force the issue.

I'm overdue for a prospecting trip to Jordanelle. And then there is always Willard and Utah Lake. At least the kitties still love me.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I would love to go back to starvy once again but with it as slow as it is I think I will head to yuba. I am planning a trip on the 21st. Best day of the year for me. Get to do what I want with no complaints.[Smile]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Is that when your divorce is final?[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][#0000ff]Is that when your divorce is final?[/#0000ff][/quote]

Nope thats my birthday.[laugh]
[signature]
[Image: surprised.gif] Hell no , Thats the day he gets spoilage and gose fishing where ever ! Also if he ever left me, he have a brick load at him with lumps of coal to carry around !!!!! I wouldnt be nice ! !!!!! He also have a huge dept and kids too pay for !!!!! Just ask him I'm expensive !!!!!!

Ps. He already paying a bill from me being sick in the ER With Walking phemonia .[angelic] hee hee hee[angelic][angelic][angelic]
[signature]
[angelic][angelic][angelic] hee hee hee
Dose my Husband dare to leave me ????? I think not .!!!!!
[signature]
[quote albinotrout][quote TubeDude][#0000ff]Is that when your divorce is final?[/#0000ff][/quote]

Nope thats my birthday.[laugh][/quote]

[#0000FF]Har. Your birthday is right between mine and TubeBabe's. Maybe we should all get together for an on-the-water B-day party.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Hey Bek, you know I was only funnin'. At least I don't believe Kevin would divorce you. On the other hand, you might have reason to dump him. I don't wanna know.

Hope you are all better now.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[Smile][Smile][Smile] sounds fun
[signature]