Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for parts supplier of pop gear parts
Well, I'm trying to build a string of large pop gear blades. I'm well on my way to fabricating the blades but I have no clue as to where to get the wires, cables, or clamps. Any suggestions?

--- Coot ---
[signature]
I do believe you can buy these large gang trolls but it you want to make them yourself contact TubeDude, I don't remember the name of the company, starts with a "B", but Pat and others order parts from them all the time to make fishing lures.
[signature]
[#0000FF]There are two online suppliers I buy from and can recommend. [url "http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/lure-making-parts/"]JANNS NETCRAFT[/url] and [url "http://www.barlowstackle.com/Spinner-Blades-Buzz-Blades-and-Others-C13.aspx"]BARLOWS [/url]

Both of those sell all the wire, blades, beads and other hardware you might want.

Let me know if you need any help with wire bending, etc. Hint...you don't need to buy a wire jig.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks Pat ... great info.

However, I'm in the process of "trying" to build my own LARGE bladed string. I have the 7" blades built and now I need some big clevis parts. Those Web sites you shared gave me some great ideas though.

Thanks,

--- Coot ---
[signature]
[#0000FF]Careful ol' buddy. If you get too much hardware to drag around you'll need a bigger motor on your boat.

Don't know if you are aware but what we call "pop gear" in Utah is widely called "cowbells" or "Ford fenders" elsewhere. You might try doing some web searches on those subjects and see if you can pick up any other helpful info.

My guess is that these will not be for kokanee.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Definitely not for kokanee. This tackle is all about macks. I just hope the clip will hold against the blade resistance!
[signature]
Pretty sure I could make my own clevis's if I could find some stainless steal piano wire.
[signature]
[#0000ff]Both Janns and Barlows have stainless wire for leader making. The key will be to decide what size you want...for bending and for strength.

I have a drawer full of different size wire from .016 to .051. Anything over about .035 works for spinner baits and should work for clevices...and you can still bend it with round nose pliers. After .051 you will need a wire bending jig to work with it.

If you get down this way I'd be happy to show you the different sizes and suggest some ways to make clevices.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]

[#0000FF]EDIT: Plus, I have a bunch of different clevices in stock you could try to see if any of them work.[/#0000FF]
Sending you a PM ...
[signature]
[#0000FF]Received your PM. Sent a reply.[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Just a piece of trivia & not worth a lot. Seems to me I read somewhere - a long time ago - that a guy with the last name Geer and nickname Pop came up with the idea of stringing those big spinner blades on a steel leader & the contraption was named "Pop Geer" after him. Anybody that can add to or verify this please shoot me a PM. Don't wanna hijack this thread.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Ya got me on that one. Never heerd it. But maybe I did heerd it and just cain't reckymember. That happens a lot these days.

On t'other hand, maybe you're Confused. If you are referring to Will Geer, he actually played Grandpa Walton...on that TV program. In that case they coulda named it Grandpa Geer...errr sumpin.

Actually, cowbell spinner trolls have been around for a long time. But the only place I have ever heard them called "pop gear" is in Utah.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Same here Geezer.....I've only heard the term "pop gear" used here in Utah or Wyoming. Everywhere else I have fished it is called "cowbells". I have some cowbells that my grandfather used in Michigan in the 1930's.
[signature]
I might have some large clevis
And some heavy stainless pop gear wire
Give me a call I think the ones I have are number
Six or Size 5's 801 599 9016
[signature]
Also I have some of the crimps
And just a note Barlow's has closed up
And sold out to mud hole
I have lots of pop gear parts if you are in need
[signature]
[quote tlarson]Also I have some of the crimps
And just a note Barlow's has closed up
And sold out to mud hole
I have lots of pop gear parts if you are in need[/quote]

[#0000FF]WRONG-O. I do a lot of business with Barlows and they know me well. I sent an email to them asking about the "rumor" that they had sold out. Here is their reply.

[/#0000FF]HAHA...April Fools right?
There is not a chance that will happen.
You just made our day!

Barlow's
[signature]
I read it on the mud hole website take a look
Someone's having fun
[signature]
[#0000FF]I scoured the Mudhole website and couldn't find a reference to it anywhere. Got a link?[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Look under Barlow's clearance lots
[signature]
Sorry everyone I gave bad information it's not Barlow's it's merrick
Tackle
[signature]