Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for Cancun Mx.
Wondering if anyone had any advice for fishing in Cancun. Have not booked just looking to do a walk-on day trip. Going to be there for a week. Never been there before and don't know what to expect. Any thoughts on Marinas I could check out, just to see what the charters might be bringing in? Anyone fished there this time of year? (What kind of fish may have been on a bite... Was weather a factor) Thanks for any replies.
[signature]
My three boys and I went last year in July. We had a good time. Caught a sailfish about six feet long. Also caught baracuda and Bonita. We just went on a half day charter with cancunfishingtours.com. The boat was old but the gear was good. Two of my boys speak Spanish so they got along well with the captain and crew. We negotiated the price and they picked us up the next day at our hotel and dropped us off at our hotel dock for $350. You can check out a fishing calendar on their website. Ours was a no frills trip but we had the boat to ourselves and the fishing was fun.
[signature]
Thanks for the report this helps me alot
[signature]
I go south of Cancun, down near Akumal.

I get a panga on the beach. I go down and see who comes in with what for a few days, then see if they have an opening. We drag typical squid pattern softbaits about 7" long so that they skip in and out of the water in Dolphin colors.
Catch is mainly Dolphin fish along weed lines.

Cost last year was $100 for 1/2 day.
Just me, the mate and skipper on the boat.
[signature]
I went out of Puerto Morales not too far south of Cancun. It was a charter (just three of us)... I hooked into a 8-foot bill fish (estimated by captain), but alas after a 15-min frenzy and several out-of-the-water action I lost it. No biggie... got a great view and a great fight.... I would have released it anyway.
I did manage a big Red Snapper. I shared the filets with the crew and still had enough for a huge meal for two. It was an impressive fish. Other small charters landed Mahi-Mahi (Dorado/Dolphin fish)... a very cool fish!
[signature]
I fished out of Cozumel the first of this month and caught some very nice dorado 40-60# a small yellow fin and hooked a few marlin that we were unable to land. The weather can be a little rough this time of year being that it is the hurricane season we had large swells and lots of rain but the bite was on
[signature]
I did this one and it was fun...

http ://www.cancuntarponfishing.com/cancun- fly-fishing-reservations.php
[signature]
Hey thanks again. We took your input checked the marinas tried to line up some mid sized boats to fish for yellowfin and dorado. But we weren't able to fish[Sad] Most charters that were going out was booked. Oh well guess thats a good reason to plan another trip just to fish.
[signature]
Ummm...
You might want to double-check on panga fishing prices in Akumal. We've been there over a dozen times in the last several years, most recently several weeks ago at the end of May.

For the last several years, the price per panga (1to 4 people) was $150usd for 3 hours. Just recently, the price has gone up to $180usd. Before the propina (tip), of course. 20% is customary, more if it was a good day. The Capitans work hard to put fish in the boat, and typically aren't the owner of the boat who's collecting the charter fee.

On the bright side, you are fishing 5-10 minutes after climbing aboard. The dorado fishing is very close in as the water depth drops drastically just outside the reef.

We've landed some very nice dorado out of Akumal, and the local restaurants will prepare it to your liking for a reasonable fee. Often "free" if you book your charter via the restaurant. Cueva Del Pescador is our favorite as they will bring out enough dorado mojo de ajo (sauteed in garlic), dorado ceviche and grilled dorado to feed your crew - provided you do your part and put some fish in the boat!!!

W2D
[signature]
[inline "20121011_104551[2].jpg"]
[signature]
Attaboy, troll.
Tasty!!!!!

Gotta love Dorado. Extremely prolific (think bluegill of the ocean), a sustainable fishery, an absolute blast to catch as they usually go airborne immediately, the colors are amazing, find one you find more, not overly picky about baits...

Did I mention that they are extremely tasty???

W2D
[signature]