Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua - first time in over a year
Took a relaxed trip with the spouse to Mantua this morning. Got launched about 8 AM. I like the new 25 boat limit on that body of water. Water was just barely rippled, weather was beautiful, and most boats were very slow moving or stationary fishing boats. Even the 2 or 3 power squadron boats that showed up later in the morning were well behaved. Had no real expectation of catching anything momentous, but boated about 7 Bluegill and 1 nice Yellow Perch on a ultra light rod with 4 lb. test Stren.
Ounce for ounce, it's a good thing Bluegill don't get up into the 2 and 3 pound range, cause they hit and run like something much bigger than they turn out. All fish caught, photo'd, and released today. Was a pleasant diversion from the hot, buggy Willard Bay.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Nice to put in a change of pace once in a while. Mix things up. Don't know that the 25 boat limit is all that new, though I'm not sure if they really enforce is, especially since they added their "user" fee. Pretty sure it only applies to launched boats, not the kayaks and float tubes.

Can't see if you've got your banana fingers on, or if that's a heck of a fat perch there. But they fertility of that weedy snail filled puddle - I'm betting that was a good 10-12 or better?

I ran into a nice one an Hyrum, though it was more of a "family beach" day at the lake. But - you know me, if there's water, I is packing a rod! First row with my newer inflatable Kayak. Now if I'd just remembered my anchor...
Might have to give it a try over at Mantua, Newton - or some other little body around. Needs more PVC!

[inline "Yak Attack.jpg"]
That Perch was healthy, but about 11" at best. Didn't measure, and the wife was taking the photos. She doesn't fish, but likes the sun.
Last June was the last time I was on Mantua, and that was the first time I knew of the launch fee. Before that, Hadn't been on that pond since about late summer 2009, and there was no fee then, and no signs saying limited to 25 boats. Since they won't allow you to park along the south east edge of the dike anymore, I think they limit the # of boats by the spaces to park a trailer in the lot down the hill. Kind of the way Pineview limits boat #'s. If you can't park in a marked trailer space, you can't launch. And, yea, pretty sure that really only works on the boaters with trailers. You guys in your yaks, and canoes, and tubes, and inflatables don't have quite the same parking limitations.

You rig up that new inflatable with a bunch of PVC, gonna have to start calling you "YoteDude"......all due respect to Tube Dude of course. [cool]

I'll be up at Hyrum in about 3 weeks. 1-3 Aug. Two oldest sons and me spending the weekend. Probably fish Hyrum that Friday, then Benson Marina Saturday, if it isn't dry by then.
[signature]

Cool
"You rig up that new inflatable with a bunch of PVC, gonna have to start calling you "YoteDude"......all due respect to Tube Dude of course."

[#0000FF]Hey, hey, hey. Careful how you start assigning status here. Mere accumulation of PVC on one's craft does not automatically elevate one to "dude-dom".

Nice work on the fishies. Love that little lake but I quit fishing it when the wacko power squadron took over. Like bringing a gun to a knife fight on that tiny pond. But, as you proved once again, there are some nice fish there for the light tackle panfish fan.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
If we can start "spreading" enough of the swimmer's itch rumors, might deter some of them. Hard to "go down" and not come up covered in the green. And that's what it takes - close contact with all that mossy goo.

Maybe if we posted some of MarineSpears photos of his attack, and the more recent stories of itchy sickness...

I think you're pretty right on the parking-spot limit being their driver. I have heard of citations being "offered" for parking outside the lines. THAT IS unless it's wakeboard boating demo day, and THEY can do whatever the hell they want it seems.
Just wish I'd known then that Barney's authority stops at the water's edge. But that's another story...

It's too bad they didn't include a better sandy gravel "launch" at the far sides. Something you could more easily drag a toon or canoe down. I always worry about the great potential for inflatables to become deflatables.
Nice job, Tin-Can! Looks like fun. I commend you for releasing your haul, especially since many, many anglers feel compelled to harvest their limits every time out.

I need to get me another pontoon one of these days. I miss dragging jigs at that pond.
[signature]
Always nice to hit a different water for a change. Well done!
[signature]
Hey Pat, I was only funning with Yote. I can see that your Tube is a well thought out marvel of anglers engineering.[fishin]
[signature]

Cool
[#0000FF]No problem. I'm too dense to be sensitive. Always appreciate recognition...even if it is "left handed".

Yote ain't all that tender neither. He dishes it out but he can take it too.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I figured he could after all the "ribbin" he got on the Flotilla this year when all his sources of propulsion gave out.
[signature]

Cool
I thought I saw a BFT flag under your USA flag. I was paddling around you trying to figure out who it was but I kept getting distracted by LMB. I was the camo kayak out there. [fishin]
[signature]
Not ALL of them - you know I don't go up (or down) a creek without a paddle - or two oars!
Now - had I had a sail, I woulda been stylin, never a shortage of hot air to blow if I'm on board!
I like to think my skin is as thick as my skull.

TD's right though - I do like to dish it out, and unlike Lavaman - I understand selective harvest, and the benefit of thinning the herds (hoards?) on some lakes. Mantua's plethora of "stunted" Bluegill is one such lake - though I'm sure the pressure has increased from a decade ago.

Nobody needs to keep EVERY fish they catch, but if you're in a situation to keep and USE a catch properly, I don't feel it's something that ought to be looked down upon.There's limits set, and some fishery management relies on the limits that are set and governed.
And some of "us" could learn more of the benefits of a good filet knife and the healing powers of the Omega-3!

"Live Long and Prosper" - unless you're a plump juicy Bluegill - in which case "Die Well, and Fry Well"!

On that note - I pickup up a Mister Twister, and MUST say - it's got way MORE POWER (woof woof woof) than my Berkely Walmart buy - by FAR.
As I've learned this the hard way, the swimmer's itch is not a rumor. The itch has finally gone away from my July 3rd trip to the pond. But the red welts still exist. Might be another couple days before I can wear shorts without somebody thinking I got small pox!

Just doing my part to keep the hordes away.... [angelic]
[signature]
Yup. And it is NOT necessary to contact weeds or algae to get it, as implied in a post above. The "itch" is due to a microscopic larva that bores into your skin. Humans are not its usual host, so the larva dies almost immediately, but your body still produces an allergic reaction to the little boogers. They exist anywhere that certain snails live - like Mantua.

See the details here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-condi...n-20030150
[signature]
Yea you had paddles at the Flotilla too. But they just about tuckered you out didn't they? [Wink]
[signature]

Cool
I figured at least one of the yaks and tubes out there were BFT folks. But didn't see any flags or decals, and you did look kinda busy a few times there. I think I saw you hook up something that unbuttoned just before you got it to the net. Was that you floating in close to another guy ? Looked like that fish actually threw the hook at you cause it came back at you like a return spring and I saw something shiny on the end like a lure of some kind.
[signature]

Cool
Yeah that sure was me, my in laws went out and tried for trout, from my success the weekend before, but only caught a few bass. I forgot my flag that time but I will have it next time for sure.
[signature]