Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What grinds my fishing gears!!!
Watching a video and this stupid kid doesn't even know how to release a trout properly. Just chucks it back in the river [mad].
[inline "stupid kid doesn't know how to release a fish..jpg"]
[signature]
I hear ya. Boga grips turns my skin. Stupid is as stupid does...doo,doo happens
[signature]
It's like I could rip my hair till im bold because how this guy fishes. Drags the fish on the mud slope and then chucks it. There goes a fish down the river maybe floating.
[signature]
I think I spiced up his mind a little to much today for him to handle the truth that he's stupid. He couldn't walk a few feet to properly release the brown trout. I wonder how many trout's he had killed by dragging on a real rocky bank and then tossing them out.
[url "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmkJ-ew_aqE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmkJ-ew_aqE[/url]

[inline "Stupid kidddd.jpg"]

[inline "kid doesn't know how to release a fish 3.jpg"]

[signature]
Dude your SO COOL.... I want to be you!!! I wish I could be so cool and be a ass to people too....
[signature]
Well he doesn't know how to properly release a fish and he admits he always tossing them back in the water!!! [mad]

I'm guessing your a fish tossing type of person as well.
[signature]
I don't fish for trout too easy to catch its for lazy ass fishermen... Try catching a bass or crappie or even a walleye for a change.... Now for tossing I don't do that but I'm also not the type that will try to make myself look cool over bullying someone for how they release a fish.... He doesn't get on here and make fun of you for the way you spell does he? Or improper grammer does he? No so don't try to bring him down on his short comings....
[signature]
While I don't generally condone handling fish roughly anything that kills off more trout in that part of the Provo will improve the fishery. Not many will keep those stunted trout and a mandatory kill for trout under 10 inches there would be politically incorrect. These hacks are the next best management tools on low grade trout fisheries with severe stunting.
[signature]
[quote riverdog]While I don't generally condone handling fish roughly anything that kills off more trout in that part of the Provo will improve the fishery. Not many will keep those stunted trout and a mandatory kill for trout under 10 inches there would be politically incorrect. These hacks are the next best management tools on low grade trout fisheries with severe stunting.[/quote]

What a great argument! I think they should open the Provo up for a few months to some bait dunkers, up the limit, have no size limit and let them have at it for a few months to clear out some of the fish. Then maybe we can get back to have a fish over 16" in that river again.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I first fished the Provo in the early 1960s...when there were still fishing "seasons". Opening day found the banks of the Provo below Deer Creek lined wall to wall with happy hopefuls. Amazing the number of trout harvested before noon on that first day of the season. Even more amazing how many were left for the rest of the year...and how many big fish there were in that river.

During the summer I rode up almost every evening with a fishing buddy who worked at Innes Sporting Goods in Provo. He introduced me to all of the holes...and many of the fish...in the river above and below the old Heber Creeper bridge. We fished flies almost exclusively...both on fly rods and with spinning rods...with the Provo River bounce.

An average evening trip...from about 6 to 9 or so...produced at least 30 to 40 fish. Mostly browns with a few bows and whitefish. We generally only kept one or two in the 16 to 18 inch range. Few were smaller and most were bigger. Not unusual to release several over 20 inches.

Most trips we shared the waters with worm dunkers and folks who soaked "Velveeta hackle". And those folks generally kept several fish apiece...of all sizes. In short, there was a mixture of fishing tackle, bait, lures and techniques and there was a fair amount of harvest. But there was never a shortage of fish and there were always enough bigguns to keep us interested and excited.

I returned to Utah in the 70s for a few years and headed down to the Provo. During a decade of my absence the ambiance had changed. No longer any seasons and year round fishing...mostly by fly fishing elitests. I kept getting growled at whenever I used a spinning rod to fish flies...especially when I visibly outfished the Orvis dorks.

I lived in Arizona for about 20 years and returned in 2004. Read up on the regulations and asked around about the Provo. Wanted to revisit one of my old favorite streams. Got a lot of mumbling and references to "bring your own rock to stand on". But I geared up and went forth anyway. And even on a weekday morning I was unable to find a place to fish on any of my favorite holes. Finally settled in on a recently vacated spot and was rewarded with a couple of browns..."under-footers". Never caught ANY that small or slender in years past.

Then I was pushed out of my spot by a guide with his two clients. No explanation or asking permission. Just all waded out in front of me and started casting. I had no problem reaching the right spots with spinning gear while fishing in closer. But they had to wade out and that put me directly behind them...and their sloppy casting.

I left my tackle in my car as I walked down to watch the circus at several popular "casting exhibition" sites. The focus seemed to be on showing off how much money you could wear or wave over the water rather than on catching fish. Very little friendly chit chat. Almost like an unwritten law against friendliness or camaraderie. And the looks I got from those folks. They looked down their noses at me as if I was a terrorist sent to destroy their holes.

Sorry. Long rant. Bottom line is that I have not wet a line in the Provo in the last ten years. Probably won't ever again. I have had enough heartbreak in my life without returning to a once wonderful stream that produced plentiful large fish...for everybody. Now it has been taken over by hostile folks who want it all to themselves and have enacted regulations and practices to keep everybody else away. Who wants to fish on a demolition derby track...for minnows?
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Wow,very well said! I also shun that river cause Im not among the elite.Better places to go and better company to keep.
[signature]
[#0000ff]Very little friendly chit chat. Almost like an unwritten law against friendliness or camaraderie. And the looks I got from those folks. They looked down their noses at me as if I was a terrorist sent to destroy their holes.

[#000000]Doesn't this also happen on stillwater too[/#000000]
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
And that's one reason I don't fish the provo river. Only maybe once or twice year the end.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Of course. There are rude and unsportsmanlike folks wherever you go. But my encounters with that ilk were more frequent and severe on the Provo.

If you are on a big lake you can keep moving and find both fish and solitude. When limited to fishing a few overly popular holes on a busy stream you either join in the "fun" or go home.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote Flyfishinglover]And that's one reason I don't fish the provo river. Only maybe once or twice year the end.[/quote]

And that is the beauty of Utah, you have that choice. Personally I have more rude encounters on Open water than I do rivers, but maybe that is just me.
[signature]
Reading your post I had a thought come to mind of an old fish asking where Tubedude went to.

[inline imagesCA860ELI.jpg]
[signature]
[#0000FF]Still around.

[inline "OLD TUBER lg.jpg"]
[/#0000FF]
[signature]