Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you call this a "cutbow"?
Caught this yesterday in a tributary to the upper Salmon. It has faint orange slashes under the jaw and teeth present on the Tongue.

How common are they? It's my first one.
[signature]
Yeah, That looks like a cutbow (rainbow, cutthroat hybrid) to me... Although it could be a pure cut. The red under the throat says it's defiantly got cutthroat in the genes. There are several species of cutthroat also.. and they vary in color quite a bit. Here are some Lahottan (dessert cutthroat) I've caught them local and they hybridize with the rainbows also.[inline 005.jpg][inline 004.jpg][inline 003.jpg]
[signature]
It's definitely not a pure bred cut, IMO. It doesn't look like the hybrids I've caught in the past either, but not only are there different types of cuts to cross with, but there are also different types of rainbows to cross with. I'm just guessing here, but I think that might be a cross of a redband trout (a rainbow strain) and some type of cut. Again, it's just a guess.

Short answer is yes. I would call it a cutbow.
[signature]
Thats for sure a rainbow/cutt hybrid. IMO I would also say the predominate genes in that particular fish are rainbow. I would say its a multiple back cross with rainbow to boot i.e. its a couple generations from the original rainbow/cutthroat cross. The oblong black spots and faint red band and the high amount of silver flake on the back and sides tell the tale. The only cutthroat indicator left is the slash.

While there are many types of cutthroat in the west theres only one native species in the upper salmon.

How common?? depends on where your at. Unfortunately they are becoming more common in many parts of cutthroat range
[signature]
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I guess they can't be that rare because I caught another, smaller one this morning!
[signature]
You will find them pretty much anywhere you have rainbow trout and cutthroat trout co-mingle
[signature]
It could be a redband trout. They can have an orange slash under their jaw. I've caught them from dink size to 7 lbs with that characteristic. Without genetic testing, it's kind of hard to determine one way or the other. That being said, the fish looks more redband that cuttbow or cutthroat to me.
[signature]
There's some orange on the belly in the first pic, which along with the cuts on the throat, seem to indicate some cutthroat in it. I've caught red bands in lots of streams from the east fork to down below challis. It looks a lot like a red band
[signature]
it could be part redband but with the historic stocking of coastal rainbow strains throughout ID Id be very suprised if a genetic test supported a true redband in any waters that werent isolated from the mainstem
[signature]
Yes, pure blood rainbows can have throat slashes too, but the teeth on the Tongue indicate that this fish has some cutthroat heritage.
[signature]