Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard boils, NOT but...........
It was a great day on the Bay considering the hot temps. I've been on vacation the last two weeks and wasn't sure what to expect but with the report of a member getting into some boils, I thought it was worth a shot. WaveWolf and I launched from the North marina around 4pm, water temp at launch was 86.7*. We trolled the Openness with no success early but after moving to the West side we started catching fish, the first was a skinny 19" eye. That fish just laid on the surface as I reeled it in but still, it was a walleye and in these hot temps it was very surprising to me to even catch one. We kept trolling South and shortly picked up a decent wiper, not long but the standard size most folks are catching. A few minutes later came another wiper about the same size but this one was a snub nose wiper, I'll add pics later. We turned around and headed North and picked up another Walleye, this one was bigger and fatter around 20". We started trolling toward Freeway bay hoping to see some boils, when the fish catching turned on for a few minutes and we had three fish on in a matter of minutes. The first, likely a wiper got right up beside the boat but broke CarDell's line. The next was a standard sized wiper but the next one was a nice 21" wiper that gave me a great fight, ripping off line from the moment it was hooked. The next wiper was a very nice and fat 23" wiper that CarDell caught that gave him a great fight. We ended up with 9 total, three eyes and 6 wipers. As we got near Freeway Bay the catching shut down and the storm front hit, going from near glass out conditions to 2 and then 3 ft waves. We trolled a little while longer but no luck with the boils. Right at sunset we called it quits and headed back to the marina. Considering how hot it was, it was a very good afternoon on the lake. Thanks CarDel for getting out there with me.
WH2
[signature]
With the water temp that high, I'm surprised they aren't all floating on top. Nice report, seems like you guys had a good evening.
[signature]
Yea, it was great evening on the Bay, here are a few pics I took.
[signature]
That one wiper has a head like a dolphin!
[signature]
[font "Calibri"]As destructive as fires are they sure make for some pretty sunsets, especially when viewed from the water!!!! [/font]
[signature]
Nice report. Sounds like you faired pretty well. Walleye along with that peculiar wiper + few more. What were you fishing with? Speed?

So no depth problem at the N Marina, then? Sure is nice to get out mid week isn't it?
[signature]
[#484848]Wow [/#484848][#484848]...... What fun, and a beautiful evening.[/#484848]
[#484848]I thought the power squadron would be out in force, but not so.[/#484848]
[#484848]You couldn't paint a better sunset.[/#484848]
[#484848]When we got into those big ones, I lost one lure and had two hooks sheared off a treble on my little kitty lure.[/#484848]
[#484848]It doesn' get much better than that.[/#484848]

[#484848]Thanks Curt ...... I think you have that place zoned in.[/#484848]
[signature]
LOL, that is exactly what I told CarDel but since I have caught them like that in the past, I started calling them Snub Nose wipers[Wink].
[signature]
The sunset was so much better than those pics show, I just wish they were as clear as ETDT's pics.
[signature]
We were trolling deep diving Rapala Shad Raps at 3 mph. No problem launching in the North marina but be careful, there are shallow spots and they come up quick. Yes, fishing mid week is the only way to go.
[signature]
How late did you stay up taking care of those fish?
[signature]
[#484848]I was all done and put away by midnight. I put some horse liniment on my ribs, went to bed, and made it to the parade this morning. [/#484848]
[#484848]I'm just glad I didn't have to play the bass drum and march down Washington Blvd........ Thanks again for a great time.[/#484848]
[signature]
Ang that is some hot water....[:/]. I am surprised you caught anything with those temps.
[signature]
It cooled down to 84* by the time we left[Wink].
[signature]
Beautiful sunset. Glad you found a few wipers and surprisingly a couple walleye. Sounds like a nice way to spend the evening.
[signature]