Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eagle/Echo 7-25-2014
Made the long haul up there Friday. Haven't been up there in 4-5 years or so and only that one time way before being a boat owner.

In general... Won't ever make that trip again. What a waste of over $120 in gas alone towing the boat up there. Zero trout and 5 dink LMB out of Eagle. When we left I buzzed buy Echo to look at it and highly doubt that the water is deeper than 5 feet anywhere. Super low. Both lakes are reallllly weeded over.

On Eagle I got one bump on the fly rod and had one trout chase a lure to the boat. After that I decided to see if there was really bass in there like I have read. I caught 2 on a squarebill and and 3 on a texas rigged worm. Madi had zero luck. Tough fishing since the weeds are sooooo bad. Even working a weedless worm was a pita.

Only 2 positives... I got out of house and got to use the boat for the first time since early June and it was 55 degrees out when we lauched the boat...

Really was a silly trip. For the same amount of gas +/- there is several places in Utah that I could of hit for a long haul one day trip and done 100% better in the catch department. Plus all of them are higher up in altitude thus cooler temps yet.

I also got to enjoy what felt like 40+ MPH head winds all the way home... That really helped the gas milage towing [frown]

I did score a anchor. Nothing that would hold my boat though. A 10lb bell anchor. While we were out there I noticed a shreaded rope on the surface and decided to see what was on the other end. A couple good pulls left and right and it came loose from whatever it was hanging up on down there. More or less the first time I came home with something found at a lake. Would be good for a tube or kayak I imagine.

No pics...
[signature]
Thanks for the report on Eagle/Echo. I was thinking about going up there with my grandson before school starts back, but now we'll save our gas and go somewhere else.

We went to Sand Hollow a couple of weeks ago and did pretty good on drop shot rigs in the early morning. It is an interesting fishery that gets a lot of pressure, but because of the catch and release practice, there are a lot of fish there in the one to two pound range. I've heard there are some bigger ones too, and also in Quail Creek. We will probably try it again when it's not so hot.

Thanks again for your report, as we were thinking it was supposed to be a good place to go for trout and bass. [fishin]
[signature]
go to sunnyside. never had a bad day fishing there. just sucks fighting the weeds.
[signature]