Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Colors Under Ice
[cool][size 1]With the heavy new snowpack on the ice, be prepared to find the fish responding differently on your next trip. The light levels will be a lot lower and the oxygen levels start to drop once open water is gone and sunlight does not reach underwater vegetation.[/size]

[size 1]Colors will be a big factor in future successful ice trips. If white or silver worked before the snowfall, it is likely that chartreuse or hot pink will get more attention now. In very dark conditions, it may take contrasting colors to be visible enough for the fish to see. Good contrasts are obtained from a combo of hot red and either white or chartreuse. Even black and white...or all black...can work best in low light conditions.[/size]

[size 1]It's hard to go wrong with anything with chartreuse in it this time of year. The bright colors stimulate slower fish in colder water, and are easily visible in almost all light levels.[/size]

[size 1]I just got through making up a batch of "Glitter Bugs", incorporating some of the hot colors. I have been making and using different colors for my bait bugs for several years. For cold water and ice fishing, I have found that adding a bit of sparkle or flash can help too. [/size]

[size 1]In the attached pic, you will see that almost all of the variations include either glitter heads, tinsel ribbing, sparkle chenille, "Ultra-Flash" chenille and almost always Krystal Flash tail fibres.[/size]

[size 1]Just thought I would post this, since I have had a lot of trips in the past where the conditions changed within a couple of days (heavy snow pack) and the attitude of the fish also changed radically. That's what makes this sport fun...trying to stay one step ahead of the fish.[/size]

[size 1]For those who keep logs...and have sonar...just see if the fish are holding deeper or higher in the water column. Then, see whether they still go for what they ate last time...or whether you have to offer them something else. Be sure to post any radical changes you find so that others can respond accordingly...especially the ones who don't have underwater eyes yet.[/size]
[signature]
You have been busy this weekend creating new jigs!!! Those things look sweet!!!
[signature]
Wow, I agree with polokid. Those jigs are sweet lookin'! Nice job, TD. You should get away from the perfect weather for the weekend, and come give those babies a try on the ice again at the 'berry, like in the good ole days! I might have to talk to you about purchasing a few of those.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Whadda ya mean "perfect weather"? We had a light drizzle two days ago and the temperature dropped almost to the freezing mark. Course, down here anything below 70 and it's an "artic blast".[/size]

[size 1]Man, I have been following the weather up there and it looks like you're getting some serious moisture in all the right places. We all need it, but it would be nice to spread it out a ways.[/size]

[size 1]As I mentioned, I don't sell my trinkets. But, I will provide whatever help I can to assist someone to start making their own. Got a few good students up there. I think Petty is trying to muscle in on my action. I hear he's turning out some good stuff now. Maybe you can put the moves on him.[/size]

[size 1]Next on my "show and tell" list will be some new hammered sinker ice lures. Started out with "Perch Urchins" and got totally out of control with the colors.[/size]
[signature]
Very nice TubeDude. The glitter bugs look like they will do the trick!

Petty has been working the jig action, and his jigs are looking very nice. He uses them all the time now.
[signature]
Nice bugs Pat , I got some jigging spoons and some ice flies from Cablea's to paint yet but still putting it off . Should of got it done already . LOL
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Killer looking jigs as usual, TD! With the boat out of comission, looks like I'll need to get the ice fishing into high gear when I get home! Those glitterheads are unlike anything you can buy on the market. Sweet paint jobs![/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Thanks, BLM. I suspect the heads from that new Roadrunner mold you got might be a tad large for average ice dunking...unless Bear Lake freezes over. Any chance of that happening this year?[/size]

[size 1]How long is your pride and joy gonna be out of action?[/size]

[size 1]PM me when you are getting back in town.[/size]
[signature]