Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leupold Rangefinders
Trying to decide between the RX-1000i and the 800i (both with the TBR).

Anybody out there own either of these, and have any feedback that might help me decide??

Specifically, I notice that the 800 has a feature they call trophy scale, that the 1,000 does not... Is this feature worth giving up a little range distance for??

Thanks in advance!!
[signature]
I have a 1000i and I have been happy wiht mine. From what I can tell, the only difference you will see between the two is you will get a little more distance out of the 100i. Keep in mind the 1000 and 800 refers to distance on a REFLECTIVE target. That is not a game animal. I've had reading of 750 on my range finder on animals, but usually anything over that you just won't get a reading. So, if you have the 800, you might not be able to read animals over 500-550 yards. Maybe that isn't important to you, depends on how you hunt. I don't shoot that far, but I like to know how much closer I have to get.

As for the trophy scale, or B&C brackets, I wouldn't waste my time or money trying to get that to work right. It is almost impossible to hold your reticle (with one hand)steady on an animal beyond 200 yards, and beyond that,,, for get about it! I don't know if you will ever get a deer or elk to stand perfectly still, for what will be quite some time, in order for you to be able to line up and judge how wide and tall the rack is. I would just stick to the traditional metheods of guessing an animals size if it were me.

One complaint I have, is that the readout can be hard to see sometimes. It depends a lot on the actual background, but it's pretty tough in the snow sometimes.
[signature]
This is great Elkoholic, thanks!

You touched on most all of the points I had been considering.
[signature]
One thing I forgot to mention was the TBR. That feature is definately worth the money. If you are not familiar with it, it basically figures out the angle you are shooting to and subtracts the correct yardage. You see the "Shoot To" yardage in the middle of the screen, and then true distance off to the lower right side. This isn't a big deal until get over the 30* incline or decline, then it starts to really make a difference.
[signature]
Thanks bud. That's good to know. I was planning on getting a unit with the TBR in any case. I took your advice though and opted for the extra distance over the trophy scale. So RX-1000i w/TBR it is. Pretty excited.
[signature]
Over the years I have picked up a few range finders and all of them you must hold them steady or you will not get any readings..
But the best range finder that I have seen and used is the G7, it will read out to 2000 yards..
If you do any long range shooting say 500Y and out then you need the G7..
[signature]
Thanks cliff. I see it is manufactured by laser technology. Yup, they are pretty much the kings of laser rangefinders. Rugged too. I worked with them a bit at my old job with Juniper Systems.
[signature]
I use mine for long range shooting, my best so far was a 1404 yard shot on a dog..
[signature]