Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake
My wife and I went out on the 24th it was a nice day we caught 5 cuts and 1 small mack on the east side and 3 cuts and 1 mac on the west side. Went out again on the 26th it was basically a nightmare. There was 12-14 inches on the ramp we had to chain up and help two other fellow fisherman get there rigs in and out. Once we all got launched we went over to Gusses point I caught 1 cut beween 2-3 pounds then the wind really started blowing. All three boats had to get off I fought 4 to 6 foot waves all the way back.[pirate]

The utah parks service says they are'nt plowing the ramp this year. I wish they could hire someone locale to do it we pay enough money plus to get this done. Any commets are welcome and we all need to get ahold of the Utah state park service to get them to keep the marina open and to plow the ramp. There is no where else to launch a larger boat. Of couse were just fisherman. the big money is tourist in the summer.[mad]
[signature]
Thanks for the report.

Unfortunatley the state parks dept budget doesnt look good with the drought conditions, but bear lake has been steady all year so you would think they would have the allocated funds to get it plowed. But who knows.

All that snow on the ramp cant be good for launching if it gets packed down and turns to ice. Better take chains and some ice melt for future trips.
[signature]
I went there on saturday the 26th. I went first to Ideal Beach. There was plenty of snow there. I think I could have got down to the beach ok but did not want to brave it by myself. If another truck had been there I would have gone for it. Drove to Cisco beach and had no idea where the new ramp is supposed to be. Plus it wasn't plowed at all. Drove over to the marina and about cried. As you stated plenty of snow on the ramp. Except some one did make some attempt at plowing it. What about brought me to tears was the ice forming in the marina. The bubblers were on and the ice wasn't thick. If it had not been so late by then I would have docked. Next time I go I will make sure I have chains with me. Hopefully in the next week or so someone will blaze a trail on Ideal beach.
Ok guys lets call. Do we call SLC, or is there a number to call specifically for Bear Lake?
[signature]
In every report that I have read about Bear lake they say that they will not be plowing the ramp and like Predator said it all comes down to money or lack of it. A lot of us were upset that they did not do anything about Willard this year. Bring the chains or bring the sand, all I can say is bring on the ice. If it don't freeze this year it might be tough getting a limit of cisco. WH2
[signature]
I agree there might not be enough money but I buy a yearly pass each year and you ought to see the amount of people that use that facility expecially in the summer maybe you have all i know it is a zoo. If the lake don't freeze and you could launch a boat at the marina getting a limit of cisco would be a breeze. There are two numbers for contacting the Bear Lake Marina they are:1-435-946-2717 and 1-435-946-2813. All they would have to do is hire a locale out of Garden City and pay 30 to 40 dollars a time. I believe the fisherman that use the marina in the winter would pay more than that in launching fees. Maybe I'm wrong what do ya think.
[signature]
I hope to be there over new years weekend and will look into some POC's to contact! I want to buy my park pass again and will let them know that my decision to purchase is based on the response I get about maintaining the facilities year round!!!!! What is the big deal to plow a ramp?? How about putting a sand barrel next to the ramp! Buy me a four wheeler with a plow blade and I will gladly do it for nothing!!!! Better yet buy the plow attachment for my truck and I will do it for nothing!!!!
[signature]
I agree with fish1on. The price to pay someone to maintain the ramp would be very small. As far as chains go, my f-350 diesel with chains still couldnt pull out a fellow fishermans boat. That is why Idaho native saw the ramp partially plowed. Being plowed was just enough to make the difference. It would only need plowed when there was a snowfall of 6" or more in my opinion. I dont want to start a pissing match but as far as "bring on the ice" goes. If I wanted to fish in one spot all day I would drop the anchor. Some of us prefer to troll.
[signature]
This is BS to neglet us year round users!!! Maybe there is something we can do as a group and as adults to talk this over with the state and come up with a solution! I would be willing to provide labor but money is limited and I already pay enough to gain access year round!!!
[signature]
I feel the same way you do and I agree that the guys that fish Bear lake all the time would be willing to pay a local to plow the ramp. I also buy a yearly pass and feel they should take care of this for nothing extra on our part. We had this discussion about Willard this year and that was in july, now it is December and they are finally getting around to doing something about it. In the past when the lake hasn't froze we take a 12 footer and launch from the beach by the Rock pile and catch our limits of cisco with no problem. I think I would rather have the comfort of a big boat but just in case the 12fter will do. I'll give them a call tomorrow and maybe we can get enough people to call to do some good. See you on the water.WH2
[signature]
WH2,

If you could provide a phone number I would call as well! I promise to be polite and cordial as long as I call before happy hour!!! I am on vacation so that time may start early???
[signature]
A fellow fisherman that went fishing with us on the 26th talked to Brice Nielson the main biologest from Garden City and he said everybody took the week off so chances are we won't be able to get ahold of anyone until after the first of the year. We were trying to get them to activate more bubblers there were only 3 going and the marina was begining to slush up in the main stream. I hope they get on this or we won't have to worry about launching the marina will be froze.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Man, I sure hope someone can keep that marina ice free. That's my only winter fishing. If it freezes up ... I'll be doing honey doos till spring. Thanks to who ever is pushing to get more bublers going.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I think we're on the right track guys. I will call them also. (STRENGTH IN NUMBERS)
[signature]
There won't be any pissing contest from me, all I was saying was, I've seen this before and the state just don't care about us fishermen. If we can get them to plow the ramp then great, I'm all for it but from what I've seen this year at my favorite fishing hole(Willard) I don't have much faith in the state helping us out, I hope I'm wrong. I would sure love to learn how to catch fish trolling at Bear lake, maybe we can work something out. I take you out to Willard this summer and show you how to troll it and you do the same for me at Bear lake, what do you think?

Hey Fish1on, Bodine11 posted these phone numbers above for us but here they are again. 1-435-946-2717 and 2813. Maybe we can load up their answering machine, if they have one WH2
[signature]
Sounds like a good idea wiper. Hope to see you soon. If your on the bear, look for us. Red/white powerstroke crewcab. Dark blue/aluminum jet boat
[signature]