Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beautiful Bassiful morning at DC
I had one of my best topwater bass fishing days yet this morning.

It was a perfect dawn up there. No wind. 53 degrees at launch. 71 degree water.

I fished the Wallsburg area and landed 22 SMB, missed about that many more, and was off before 9AM. All on poppers.

I've had that many numbers but I had 5 over 12" today. A 14" and a 13" came home with some smaller 9-10" normal ones for dinner. The larger SMB's are fat and healthy!

Fantastically fun morning of bassing.

[inline "DC Bass Aug 2014.jpg"]
[signature]
Very nice, looks like I'm going to have to try this... How do you find the spot to fish, are they already active on the surface or do you just cast in likely spots and they nail it? Just curious if they are like trout and working surface foods and you cast to a rising fish? Thanks J
[signature]
I skim the rocky shorelines on my tube at low speed and cast toward shore (I aim for 6" from the bank).

I will speed up when I come upon sandy areas to pass them by more quickly... but I'll still occasionally pull one from a more sandy area.

You can see them active in some areas, but at DC just about anyplace with softball-sized rocks on the shoreline is a likely spot.

And there's a lot of shoreline like that at DC.

I've fished a lot of DC and pulled fish from all over the lake. With my tube I favor Wallsburg for the shelter from the Power Squadron.
[signature]
Thanks that really sounds like fun. I'm thinking a popper on the 5 WT from the toon might be a total blast. May have to check out a couple ponds across the state line I'll bet they will be having similar activity and probably less power squad. Thank you. J
[signature]
Do you have a picture of the popper you use, my favorite is a rebel perch.
Nice report.
[signature]
hitting DC next week sometime, you inspired me to dust off some topwater baits - nothing beats that action. nice job out there, big rocks = big fish
[signature]
I have several in my box and really haven't noticed much of a difference.

From Rebel I have the Silver Black, Ole Bass, and Foxy Momma

Color references here: http://www.basspro.com/Rebel-PopR/product/2954/

I have a couple others as well. I probably use the Ole Bass one more than any right now.

But last week I took my daughter out she had that one and I was trying out different colors and brands and I never noticed a difference in our strike rates.

What does seem to vary from morning to morning is the presentation they like. Sometimes they want it still, others -- like yesterday -- they were hitting action.
[signature]
If you get in the water and look up at the surface during low light conditions almost everything sitting on the surface will just be black shapes.

So colors at that time are more for the angler so I use something that is easier for me to keep an eye on the action.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
thanks
[signature]
That's good to know.
Thanks
[signature]
Poppers on the fly rod are a great way to catch smallies. I've had really good success with pencil poppers, wiggle minnows and gurglers as well as the typical bass bug.
[signature]
Thanks Greg that's a great help. J
[signature]
Hey Greg where do you find those lures? Sportsmans didn't have them. J
[signature]
I made my own, but I think I've seen some of those lures at Al's perhaps. It may go by a different name, but here is a pic of the wiggle minnow. I've done well up at Oneida with it.

[inline todds-wiggleminnow-firetiger-_1.jpg]
[signature]
Sweet thanks, TD got me something similar last year that I think I'll try. Thanks for the help. J
[signature]
Saturday mornings take home, caught 14 all together by the island.
[signature]