Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead Fishing Report for 8/2 to 8/6
So I was on vacation from work this week so have been trying to go fishing as much as possible. My birthday was on Friday August 1 and my wife got me a bunch of fishing lures and stuff.

The first night we tried night fishing with cranks, I got one fish on the line but it spit out my crank as I was bringing it in. Lake Mead gets extremely dark at night! It can definitely be intimidating!

Second day we went to willow beach and didn't even do much as see a fish so we headed down to lake mead. I caught a decent catfish about 1pm on an anchovie and as we were leaving around 3pm, we ran into some boils which got my buddy 2 more smaller stripers.

My mom, daughter, and wife wanted to go out on Monday to go hang out with the overcast so we went. I fished out of a little cove for about an hour while my family swam not to far away. Not so much as a bite. So I drove across to another cove not to far from 33 hole and found some ducks. All of the sudden I seen a bunch of fish jumping up around the ducks. So I tied on one of my new lures, a floating spro bbz 4" shad lure and tossed it in there. Bam! First cast and I had my first ever striper on the line! My wife got excited so tossed out her line with a zara spook plug and same thing. They gobbled it right up. Within a half hour we had caught about 15 striper ranging from 1.5lbs to 3lbs. It was a ton of fun.

The next morning I wanted to head out again. My wife,daughter and I were on the lake by about 5:30am. I found another cove, I can't remember the name my GPS said it was but I marked it as a waypoint. It was like a huge non stop striper boil. We were there till about 9 and caught probably 40 striper or so. There were some decent sized striper we caught as well. I marked one at 4.5lbs on my scale that hit my lure as soon as it touched the water. again we had a ton of fun. By 9am, it seemed the fish just instantly stopped biting, my daughter was getting restless so we took a site seeing tour to the Hoover Dam. It was a very nice day on the lake. No wood, the water was like glass.

So I found that if you're fishing the lake, the ducks are your friend! Wherever we seen ducks at, the fish were not far behind! Striper boils are very cool to see. the fishing reports on ndow.gov had said the striper were in the 1-3lb range. For us, we only caught a few that we're under 2lbs. Very decent fishing! I'm happy to finally catch some striper. I have a 8" floating spro bbz trout lure I want to try out. See if I can lure out a double digit fish. Smile
[signature]
Thanks for sharing the results of your fishing trips. It sounds like you had a lot of fun with the stripers --- and especially enjoying it with your family made it even better!
[fishin]
[signature]
Good report and congrats on your first striper!

Looks like yall had a blast, thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Thanks guys. My wife and family had a blast. My wife and I went back out on Saturday. We were on the water by 5am. There was a ton of people there and some nut running straight thru the striper boils. My wife caught one little tiny guy and I caught a large mouth bass. There would be a boil starting and some guy would drive literally right over them trying to fish them instead of fishing them from the outside. He did it about 5 times and I finally told my wife for us to just head back to the harbor before let my temper get the best of me. :/ we got to boulder harbor and man was it packed! Week day fishing was so much nicer! Haha
[signature]
Yea I was fishing from the shore on saturday and I can see exactly the moron you were referring to that was speeding his boat right into the middle of the boil!! lol i think some ppl just get too stupidity excited like they never see a boil before...[fishon][fishon][fishon]
[signature]