Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle or Rockport Invite
I'm heading to Jordanelle or Rockport tomorrow after work if anyone is interested in tagging along. My normal Thursday night fishing partner can't make it so I thought I extend an invite. Will be targeting smallmouth, fishing from the shore and probably leave the Provo/Orem area around 4:30-5ish, heading back around dark. Not looking to babysit (or be babysat Tongue) just thought I'd see if anyone wanted a lift, to shoot the breeze and hopefully catch some fish. I'm 28 years old so I like to walk in a bit and stay pretty active walking the steep rocky shorelines while fishing so keep that in mind. That is of course unless the fish are biting or someone brings some beers, then I might be content hanging out in a certain spot. Let me know....

Thanks,
DD
[signature]
Ended up at Rockport. Landed 6 real quick and then it slowed down. Had a few others on including one that broke my line. Felt like a decent fish, took me under a rock overhang before I had a chance to see him and pop! Little bit of rain came through, pretty good night...
[signature]
Forgot to mention, caught a little dolphin nose smallie tonight too. I vaguely remember someone else pulling one out of Rockport that was the same. Didn't get a pic, phone was still in my backpack at that point.
[signature]
That's one intense rainbow man [shocked]
[signature]
I was just about to start a post asking about bass fishing from shore on some of the reservoirs--then I caught your post. Thanks for the report. Looks like you had a good outing, and I'm excited to learn that one can bass fish from shore on these reservoirs. I'm still new to fishing and I only have experience going after trout (with fly/bubble up in the Uintahs, and spinners in the reservoirs and on the Weber).

Can you suggest a website or a youtube channel where I can learn the bass fishing basics, particularly fishing from the shore?

AND

Do you use a regular spinning rod/reel, or a bait caster?

-Aaron
[signature]
Hey Aaron,

I actually almost prefer bass fishing from the shore at those two lakes. I have a pontoon but don't normally bother with it when I go after the bass at either of them. Only reason I would use it would be to cover more ground and not have to deal with walking on all the rocky ledges.

Anyway as far as resources go youtube is great, I've watched endless videos over the years trying to find new techniques. Another one that I like is bass resource.com, they do some great videos on youtube along with just endless information on their website about different rigs and ways to fish. I'm not expert by any stretch of the imagination but I would say for you to either pick up some tube jigs or learn a dropshot w/senko and start bouncing the bottoms to get started. You WILL get snagged plenty and lose plenty of gear so be prepared to be frustrated at times.

I recently started using a 6'6" light action rod with a small spin reel for bass and it has done wonders. You have to be able to detect those subtle bites and I think that setup is best for it. I do use a bait caster quite a bit too but that's mostly for tossing bigger cranks and topwater stuff.

Anyway, hopefully that helps. I'm more than happy to give you any information you need or if you want to tag along one night I'd be happy to have you.

Side note: Hit Rockport again this morning and ended up with 6 but 4 of them were decent fish. The bite was EXTREMELY subtle, was happy to walk away with any. The pic doesn't look that impressive but they really were some fatty fish this morning.

Thanks,
DD
[signature]