Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Whoas
Whoa as in no go!

So I finally got off my duff, finished installing the new strap/crank on the trailer, tested up the lights, worked out how to 'mount' the transom keeper, and hooked up the "big" boat.
After getting stung by a wasp (I checked that trailer hitch dammit!) and giving a quick turn to the key - fired. Check!
I hauled her up to Hyrum, paid my $8, loaded in some gear, and hit the ramp. I opted not to push her off the trailer (good) but went to fire up the motor and back it off.

Turn the key - nothing. I wiggled wires, popped the cover on the 65Hp Evinrude outboard, Couldn't see anything that my non-mechanical brain could identify as a problem.
Good gas, fresh tank, squeeze ball hard, battery lines hooked, charge in battery - but nothing.

So I'm at a loss. Had test run in the drive with the muffs on - she purred like a kitten (ok, screamed like a banshee more like it). And like I say - a quick turn before leaving to make sure all the spark of love was there.

I think she's afraid of the water! EvinRUDE is right!

Any ideas? It was Sunday so I couldn't pop over and ask Lee for a wave oh his magic wand. Before I turn it over to a pro and open my wallet, anybody know where to strike with a sledgehammer?

Very frustrating.
BOAT=Break Out Another Thousand, right eh?

Oh and to add insult the injury as I approached my driveway I find the NEW transom keeper has snapped in too! Argh! Muuuuuurrrrpppphyyyyyyy!
Kill switch,in neutral ?
[signature]
I assume by "nothing" you mean the boat wouldn't even turn over -- as if it had no power at all.

I had a similar spurious issue with a boat that would occasionally refuse to turn over and sometimes would just stop while running as if the key were shut off.

A few items I found on my old boat that were causing this:

1 -- The neutral detect switch was bad. It would stick so the boat "thought" it wasn't in neutral when it was. Replaced.

2 -- Loose/dirty battery connections. Make sure the connections are tight and clean to the battery. Not enough juice = no happy starty

3 -- Frayed wires on the key switch and some wires "under the hood" were aging and needed replacement. I'm in electronics so this was something I just did.

My 1976 Merc is happy for the moment.... knock on wood

How old is the boat motor?
[signature]
Neutral - check.
Don't know that it has a kill switch? My little outboard have the rubber-bulb pushbutton thingy.
There's the manual choke, a dial with no label - I presume is the richness mix. Thought this one - just turn the key off. It's like a '99 model I believe. Youngest thing on the boat!

I could take a picture. Like I told the ranger, I needed that little indian boy selling elephants to the "pretty lady" from Bond's Goldfinger!
Can't help with a diagnosis, but loved the pun of "Whoas."
[signature]
I had an issue with my 1990 90hp evinrude vro that would periodically just not start - nothing, nada, zilch. Then, later start fine for several times. etc.

Went through all I could think of - neutral switch, new key switch, ....... Finally, went inside motor and found a male-female plug multi-wire connector, with the female inserts of the split metal type. Sqeezed closed a bit the one on the start circuit, and opend up the male insert, and not another problem.
[signature]
Did you try moving the shifter, sometimes just moving the shifter from being in gear back to neutral or just jiggling it back and forth will get them to work.
[signature]
did you hear a click at the starter if no, you need a test light or volt meter
check to see if you have 12 volts at the main lead.
this will help
you can google (test starter for your boat.) it could be a N switch or a wire
[url "https://www.google.com/...sAQ&biw=1344&bih=859"]https://www.google.com/...sAQ&biw=1344&bih=859[/url]
[url "http://www.marineengine.com/...son-Starter-Solenoid"]http://www.marineengine.com/...son-Starter-Solenoid[/url]

[url "http://maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/1972_65_Eshift.jpg"]http://maxrules.com/graphics/omc/wiring/1972_65_Eshift.jpg[/url]
[signature]
Good advice ^^

go to the various forums and follow some of the same electrical troubleshooting tips that others have provided.

If you are real lucky (not) it could be a failing ignition module...
[signature]
I'm not sure I get the full picture but the one time I had a "bulb" to push for gas and the engine went from working to not working for no apparent reason, it was a screw on the gas tank that had been tightened all the way down and needed to be loosened a bit to allow for air. Almost spent a night in the narrows unprepared because of that little mistake.
[signature]
Appreciate all the feedback. And the tips, pointers. Need to do more research ( and bug my mechanically inclined neighbor). I should take more pix.
I've got a pushbutton rfn setup on the throttle box. Don't know if the sensor would be in that, or the motor housing.

Get no click, no nothing when I turn the key. I fiddled the throttle from start, still nothing. Checked the battery connections, looked for loose wires. Found one wrap, housing that looks rotted out.

Can't be a gas flow issue since I get no start, no spark no turn. All I can guess is something knocked loose, since I got a good turn in the driveway. Glad I was only 10 mins to Hyrum and not three hours to Stawberry!
Does your Evinrude have a main fuse on the motor that has blown? I have an Evinrude e-tech 90 that suddenly would not start with no power to motor or the instrument panel. Yet all the accessories worked such as the live well. Had to be towed back to the dock. Turned out to be a stupid 10 amp. fuse on the port side of the motor just below the flywheel cover. Stupid fuse not even well marked. Looked like just another electrical connection to the motor. Some motors also include a spare fuse inserted in a slot near the actual fuse.
[signature]
Have you checked for a loose nut on the key?,,,,,,

That's the first thing I try to eliminate with any problem that may be electrical....[Wink]

Get'r fixed and get out on the water. Good luck.

BLK
[signature]
A lot of boats with helm throttles & motors with tiller handles have a special key on a lanyard at the throttle. If its slightly ajar the switch can be in cutoff mode. This is an emergency kill switch. Make sure key is seated correctly with switch in up position which holds key in place.
[signature]