Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Suppertime Bite...
Wasn't really happening.
Met with Wiperhunter2 and trolled cranks. Was able to finally boat my first Wiper, about 15" long. Wiperhunter2 caught an 18" walleye. Both bites happened after a turn, but we were unable to pattern them or find the schools of hungry biters.
Had a great time, and enjoyed telling Curt how dumb poor grebes can be.
Cheers!
[signature]
Enjoyed getting out there with you last evening Josh, we will have to do it again when the bite is better. After thinking more about it, I'm sure the problem was the muddy/stained water because it has been better up until yesterday. I noticed the water was coming in pretty fast over the baffles, that is the first I've seen that for over a month or longer, then with the windy conditions, that really stirred up the water. Oh well, maybe tomorrow will be better[Wink].
[signature]
Curt, do you think maybe with the heavy rains around the state the past few days, and the Labor Day Weekend coming, they are letting more water into WB ? Like the idea of more water, but kind of hope they shut it down soon enough to allow it to clear up some by Labor Day.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Yes, there is little doubt that is true but also with the storms comes more wind and that of course means, with the low water conditions we have now, the waves cause the muddy water conditions we are seeing now. All Summer, up till now, we have had little wave action but if this pattern continues, we have seen the end of the consistent catch rate we have had up til now. This does not mean we won't be able to catch fish but the numbers caught will likely go down as the fish have a harder time finding the lures that go past them. I'm going to try trolling at a slower speed today and maybe even try some bottom bouncing to see if that is productive. I don't really see the conditions at Willard improving much before Labor day. There is a certain amount of muddy water that comes into the lake any time the water is coming down the channel but it rarely effects the conditions in the entire lake that I saw on Tuesday.
[signature]
Utah lake and Willard both get off color really quick with a good wind storm when the water levels are low. I have been on the lake where there has been a long high pressure and chasing boils with good visibility for Willard. I was trying to catch the last boils before a big front. The front came through and I waited it out and came back out on the lake after the front came through and the whole lake looked like mud.

The more water we can get in the lake the better. The water coming in is not the problem. The big question is how best to target the wipers in the muddy water.

I just wish they could live long enough to hit 10 pounds in that puddle. I could care less about eating a wiper but it sure would be fun to catch a real string stretcher when out there.
You know what bite WAS happening that night? The mosquitos! In the short period of time trailering the boat and buttoning things up, they feasted on me. I have never had such itchy bites in my life. It's killing me.
My blood must taste like bacon.
[signature]
Yea, the nats that were a big problem earlier in the year are gone but those pesky mosquitos are out in full force, I've got to start wearing long pants after dark[Wink].
Only caught a 20" wiper last night, so the catching isn't getting any better but with all these cold fronts coming through I guess I shouldn't be surprised. We tried trolling slower and bottom bouncing for the first hour or two but no luck. Decided to switch the KCT worm harness over and use lead core line, kicked the speed up to 2.5 mph and Bam, fish on. We were marking tons of shad at mid depth and big fish below them but it turned out that wiper was the only fish of the evening[:|]. Oh well maybe next week will be better.
[signature]
I'm telling ya, wiper cerviche is where It's at!
[signature]
Where did you get that cheese grater shaped like a guitar?
[signature]
From your mom!
[signature]
[quote joshomaru]From your mom![/quote]
POW right in the kisser!
[signature]
Sweet, how did you cook the wiper before you made the cerviche?
[signature]
Thats just it, my friend. You DON'T cook it.
You cut the fillets up and soak them in lime juice. The acid in the juice "cooks" the fish. After about an hour or so, drain off the juice, and combine with the other components. Squeeze some more fresh lime and an orange, some salt, and voila!
It's like a party in my mouth and everyone is wearing fish shoes.
[signature]
LOL, ok, now I remember you talking about eating sushi. Sounds temping.
[signature]
Dude you're cracking me up! I tried ceviche, but added onions, peppers to enhance the "hot" cold treatment. It was great (just simple bass), but I'd do it again, just gotta eat it fresh.

You so have me thinking I just my face the Willard beast this big weekend, see if I can find a window between bugs and jetskiiers worth adventuring.
Guess I'm a glutton for punishment and humility. Maybe Sunday Morn would do the trick. Open seat if any takers?

Haven't washed the cranks much. Maybe some bottom bouncers. I dunno.