Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lovin' Bountiful Pond for the kids
Just got back from Bountiful Pond for the first time. I brought two of my boys: Jacob (age 5) and Hyrum (age 12). Along with the tackle box, I brought a bunch of worms from the backyard. Thank goodness, because the fished loved them some worms.

We first caught a baby bass; and I was hoping they wouldn't all be that small.

Throughout the 2 hours, we caught (and released) about 8 bluegill. At least that's what I think they are. With that black dot (patch) just near their gill. It was fun for my boys to have their worms stolen, lose a fish, and then be determined to hook it the next time. They had a lot of action, and it made for a fun time.

Hyrum hooked into a huge fish, and we weren't sure what it was. As we got to landing it, we realized it was a huge catfish (at least huge by our standards, as we've never caught a cat before). Didn't have a tape, but I'm guessing it was at least 18 inches, maybe 20. All three of us were excited. I coached Hyrum on letting out some line and work the fish a bit.

Hyrum really expressed interest in learning some fishing knots. "Dad, what knots do I need to know so I can just be dropped off alone at a pond to fish?" Makes me happy that this past time is turning out to be enjoyable for him. And we want to get Jacob a junior-sized rod and reel. During today's trip, Hyrum and I would cast it out, then hand the pole to Jacob so he could reel it in. Jacob caught a small bluegill today (all but the casting, that is). He was excited to see the bobber go crazy, and feel the tugging on the line.

I'm happy to know there's a place for easy fish and great times just 30 minutes from my house.

I tried my luck at some bigger bass by fishing a Shim-E-Stick texas rigged for a while, and then I tried a jig head with a tube. No luck, but I wasn't really fishing any cover or rocks, as my boys didn't want to walk very far. And I'm still too cautious to try to cast within a foot of the bank. I probably need to get over my fear of snags and just start learning to cast better. Perhaps Bountiful Pond isn't the place to target bass (at least not between 3:30 and 5:30 PM).
[signature]
Glad to hear all went well at the B pond. That place never treated me good but was a great place to learn the ins and outs of pontoon fishing. Thanks for the pics.
[signature]
Awesome!! Great work. Looks like you hooked up with a nice channel cat and a little black bullhead. The largemouth you caught is probably more appropriate to use as bait but that's still a start [Wink]
[signature]
Nice job with the kids. They look like their havin some fun. The only bad thing at BP is those biting flies they have in abundance there. Again good on ya.[Wink]
[signature]