Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Community Closing times enforced?
Does anybody know how strictly the closing times on Community Ponds are enforced?
It seems like not much.

A couple years ago I went fishing with a guy and we stayed until after 11pm at Kaysville. I know many people at Roy that stay well into dark. Today I was reading a fishing report about Adams Reservoir that best fishing is 10pm to midnight.
All these ponds have posted rules that say they close to the public half hour after sunset! But I have never seen anybody actually cited or even approached about breaking curfew...

I do worry about Adams Reservoir, because this is a place they're keeping open as long as the public has good behavior. If we're all good about keeping it clean and quiet, it's staying open until December 2016, but it has been said that if the owners of the property get too much trouble they have the right to close it sooner.

So far Adams is the best, and I really don't want to lose it! If I want to go fishing after dark, I go to Syracuse/Jensen, since their sign says it closes at midnight. Also, it opens at 5am, and all the other parks open half hour before sunrise.

I would love to do night fishing without having to go somewhere like Willard or East Canyon and pay $15 every time. However, I also don't want to get cited and/or lose the privilege, either :/
[signature]
I have never been busted for fishing after dark at the sandy pond. Catfishing the community ponds is better later anyway.
[signature]
I Have fished the cove pond in Herriman for many years now and i always fish late into the night 12-1 AM at least. Ive never had a problem, the riverton pond is harder though because they lock the gates after 9pm which is complete BS if you ask me. the best catfishing in most community ponds happens after dark.
[signature]
Community Ponds are just that. In Communities. You will be fishing in peoples back yards at some of these ponds. Please respect the laws and closing times. This will help the Communities continue to allow the ponds to be used.
[signature]
See, this is why I'm worried. Roy pond, and one in Clearfield (Mabye?) are literally back yard for houses.
Adams reservoir is more secluded, but not totally. You could still hear people shouting in the nearest houses. Same with Holmes Creek (which I am Confused is open or not... it's not listed in the book, but people tell me it's still legal)

Personally, I think most of the noise comes from kids being rowdy. And in my opinion, kids should be in bed after dark anyway (even in summer!). If I had a house on the pond shore, I wouldn't mind if people were there until 3 am... as long as they're not loud or shining flashlights in my window.
[signature]
I imagine it's like any other low-priority law: it's there for when they need to enforce it because of complaints or other illegal activity, but it's not one that they actively patrol for.

Be quiet, be neat, be respectful, and you should be safe from trouble. But if you are approached and cautioned, be polite, apologize, and leave.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab] Be quiet, be neat, be respectful, and you should be safe from trouble.[/quote]
+1 to that Rocky.

I also agree that location is key, I have only been to a few around SLC and so far they are more like parks than backyards. Not every single one is the same though.
[signature]
Some CPs can be real popular - especially during the day. But I fully agree about folks being just too darned loud. Sound carries a lot on water, I was quite perturbed at some folks arriving at Newton whose kids commenced having a CONVERSATION with their friends across the other side of the lake!

For once I WISHED they had a cell phone to text with!

[inline "Fish Lineup.jpg"]
[signature]
Heck, there's still room on the dam..[pirate]
[signature]
That picture reminds me of stories from my dad. He said fishing used to be only open season at certain times (not year round like it is now) and the first day that anglers would be lining the shores.
How in tarnation do they not get all those lines tangled up??? LOL
[signature]
I say fish until the authorities come drag you away kicking and screaming.[Wink]
[signature]
If the law says it's closed, it's closed. Pretty simple, why should you get special privileges? This entitlement mentality is what's wrong with our society today. Take the crap in ferguson for example.

What if you were sneaking around "fishing" and run into Zimmerman?

If you do it and get caught, take the consequences like a man.

I don't know you and am not trying to insult, but we all need to be law abiding. We are a nation of laws.
[signature]
Well that went a tad off subject. ADD?[crazy]

I think the law is there because when someone is being disruptive late at night they can actually do something about it. Without a regulation stating they cannot be there at that time, what are they gonna do about a disruptive person?
[signature]
They take the closing time seriously at the Meadow Creek Pond, in Roy. People are asked to leave and the gates are closed and locked every night.
[signature]
[quote RockyRaab]I imagine it's like any other low-priority law: it's there for when they need to enforce it because of complaints or other illegal activity, but it's not one that they actively patrol for.

Be quiet, be neat, be respectful, and you should be safe from trouble. But if you are approached and cautioned, be polite, apologize, and leave.[/quote]

RockyRaab hit it right on the head. I think nobody will say anything until they have a reason to. The law is there in case they do need to enforce it, and we all know there are idiots out there that probably should be turned in.
[signature]
If you were commenting to me. no insult taken, actually I am going to try and help you out a little bit, you see that little face next to the comment [Wink], that has the cute little Wink and the Smile, that means it was a tease (a joke). You got me a little concerned, you might just want to back off on watching the news for a while, sounds like it is starting to get to you (snap). I can honestly say, I have never fished any of the community ponds in Utah, and as for the closing times, well that's past my bed time.[Wink] I was kind of interested in the "sneaking around and fishing" comment though, am I missing out on something? are they now selling camouflage fishing poles and tackle boxes?[Wink](oops there's that symbol again). You are absolutely correct, we all need to be law abiding, and when I am out on my prison furlough that is my number one rule I follow.[Wink]
[signature]
I know you guys fish mostly "real" waters, but just wanted to know if anybody knew about enforcement for the sake of curiosity. I figure it's more hassle to get in trouble, than just follow the rules in the first place (like not having a speeding ticket in 20 years, because I don't speed!)
[signature]
that must be recent, because I know 4 years ago I fished after dark (again, was with other people who had taken me).
[signature]
Yup, I've been trying really hard to be good about being in bed no later than 10pm lately. In the middle of summer that's WAY before sunset anyway.
Also, if I could afford it, I would love to have a custom wrapped rod... bright blue and gold, so definitely not camouflaged! LOL
[signature]
[quote fishnutts]I say fish until the authorities come drag you away kicking and screaming.[Wink][/quote]

shhh - no screaming! It's late! Respect.

As for not tangling lines, um - they don't! NOT!