Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach Food Chain 8-28-14
[#0000FF]It has been a wierd (wet) month. Almost out of August now and looking fall in the face. Usually about this time of year the "food chain" shows up in full force at several spots around Utah Lake.

Right at daybreak the young-of-the-year white bass come in to the harbors and at other places in the shallows...to feed on midges on the surface. Their surface dimples look like a gentle rain...until they are messed up by a larger predator fish munching the midge munchers. In a classic food chain there will be larger white bass boiling on the babies. And there will often be walleyes cruising around and picking off whities of all sizes.

Heard tell the babies were showing up so I headed down to Lincoln Beach to try to catch a few for predator chow. They were there and I got a few. Just getting ready to launch my tube when BLK (Boatloadakids) backed down in his truck...without his boat attached. He was also there to try to harvest some whitettes for a weekend fishing trip with the grandkids. No boat and no fishing for him today. Too bad.

Air temp was a cool 52 and water temp 66 at launch. It warmed up to 71 by departure time about 1 pm. Water was surprisingly clean after all the storms. A bit stained but still good enough visibility for lure fishing.

Water in the boat channel is down to about 2 feet in most places...a bit deeper at the end of the ramp and out past the end of the dikes. But marginal for larger boats.

I stopped briefly at the mouth of the channel and pitched some jigs. Rattle rattle. The bitty bites were thick there too. Also hooked a couple of larger 9-10 inch whities. No walleyes.

Motored over to the deeper areas out off the springs. Kept watching the sonar while pitching plastics on one rod and dragging a drop shot tube jig on the other. Started in about 4 feet of water and worked out to beyond 6 feet. As soon as I got in water deeper than 6 feet I began to see more fish on sonar and got some bites. Most were unhookable whities but once in a while a cantankerous catfish hauled the rod tip down and it was game on. On one cast I was reeling in a small white bass when suddenly something latched on and about took my rod. I thought it might have been some big predator chowing down on my hooked whitie. But when I finally got it in it was a small white bass on the bottom jig and a 24 inch cat on the top jig...an odd couple double.

I got into one area about 7 feet deep that was full of kitties...playful kitties. Much action. Caught them on drop shot tubes and on the small tandem jig rig I was pitching for "other fish".

I had not planned to keep any cats but since they were so insistent I decided to invite a few home to the smoker. Finished off my supply and my "regulars" are getting snarky about it. But after putting a couple in the basket they slowed down on the plastics.

Sooooo...I brung out the kitty bling...baby whities. Game on again. Couldn't even fish with a second rig. As soon as I cast out a new white bass some silly catfish would slurp it up, put the line over his shoulder and head for the Knolls across the lake.

I had only brought out a half dozen of the small white bass. I went through those pretty durn fast. Missed a couple of hits but still caught fish on the tattered remains of the chewed up whities.

Went back to a tandem jig rig and a drop shot tube and worms. Bitty whities stripped off the bait before anything else could get to it. But I put a hole in a few of their lips to show them the error of their ways. Got instant bites whenever I put a new volunteer back on the bait rig.

Not sure how many cats I caught. Probably 12 to 14 total. Kept 5 to smoke and gently released the rest. DID NOT gently release a silly carp that pretended to be a walleye. Complimentary gillectomy. I had just lost a nice 20 inch range walleye a couple of casts before. So when the carp hit and fought hard I thought I had scored a bigger walleye. Nay, not so. Still good tugs. I almost felt guilty for taking his life after he performed so well. Almost. Gotta save the Junies...one carp at a time.

Stopped briefly between the marker buoys and the channel entrance on the way back in. White bass were still there in numbers. Bites on every cast. Mostly bitty bites but a few larger fish in the mix.

Lovely day. Calm and sunny...with just a few puffy clouds forming over the mountains. I can deal with that.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Sounds like a great trip Pat, very fun report to read. Thanks J
[signature]
Good to talk to ya today. It was a good lookin' day and it was hard to watch you head out to sea with no competition. I had some minor issues to deal with at home like ... "dereliction of matrimonial duties" .. "alienation of affection" .... "unfair division of labor"... stuff like that, so decided to take a day off to get re-acquainted with my sweet wife.

I picked up a few more wb after you left and now have a good supply-- thanks. They are on ice now and will be ready for duty in the morning. I'm going to try that "straight north" area you suggested... maybe try a whole adult wb and see if the cat I have been looking for all summer might be hanging out in that area. I've been finding lots of cats in the 2 to 4 ft. depths but not many over 26-27 inches. I haven't really hit the deeper water yet so maybe that's where the big boys are hiding. I expect the bigger cats to start showing up as the water cools.

Thanks again for what you were willing to share... always good to talk to ya.

The best is yet to come.

BLK
[signature]
I can already smell the kitty treats! Drooling just thinkin about 'em pat.
[signature]
Well done. Glad you had a great day at what you enjoy!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Good to see you too..."No boat no kids". Sorry you couldn't join me on the water but sometimes ya gotta put in the time at home to earn a kitchen pass. Awful wedded bliss. Holy wedded macaroni. Or however that goes. A guy without a wife gets up in the morning and says "Lo, the morn." A married guy wakes up to "Mow the lawn."

I tried the "north line" yesterday but only got whitie whacks. Nary a cat chomp until I got to deeper water. But in past years, with higher water levels, that area has been very productive into late fall. I suspect that the warming weather will bring the kitties back into shallower zones but it won't be long until they all migrate deeper.

Glad you scored a few more baitlets. They will be prime fodder from now on. Ya gotta serve what is on the menu. But a nasty piece of carp meat usually works good almost anytime too.

Good luck on Saturday. Hope the younguns make you a proud g-pa.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
[quote TyeDyeTwins]I can already smell the kitty treats! Drooling just thinkin about 'em pat.[/quote]

[#0000FF]Smoked kitties are mighty tasty. Not always easy to find big enough papers though.

Want me to email you a couple of pieces? We still can't send stuff by PM.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Needs Wonkavision! But alas - they'd get smaller over transport. Much like the reality of fish-tales vs the imaginary of stories told.

I hear the biggest benefit to a fishery growing bigger fish is C&R. Such that the stories that go home grow bigger and bigger that the actual fish can prove to be!

Fun report, but a Boatload with no Boat? So Sad. But seriously - he should be BANNED from getting any and all advise from the Master of Kitties for the duration of any and all cat contests! Of course he's still gotta put your teachings to practice.

BLK - I'll be getting back on the horse, and riding into a (skeeter) sunset or two before end of September comes. So - game is still afoot my friend!

(damned white bass!)
"But seriously - he should be BANNED from getting any and all advise from the Master of Kitties for the duration of any and all cat contests! Of course he's still gotta put your teachings to practice."

[#0000FF]He do just fine by his ownself. We have exchanged tricks and ideas but he already knew how to handle his rod (nothing naughty intended).

Fishing is kinda like the old saying about "leading a horse to water"...only we talking about anglers. You can give them exact instructions but they still gonna do whatever they feels like anyhooters.

It's always good to share info. Helps us avoid some of the learning curve sometimes. But we all still gotta go through the prerequisite goofs and foulups or we cain't really call ourselves fishermen. Tell a kid the stove is hot and he will still burn himself...just to prove you right. Tell a fisherman not to stick himself with a hook... You get the idea.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
When my BFT icon grows up, I hope to have learned about half as much about fishing as TubeDude has forgotten. Fun to read your reports; and one of these days I'll understand more than just a fraction of what your saying!
[signature]
[#0000FF]Thankee for the kindly comments. But don't worry about trying to understand me. I get carried away and don't always understand me either. Being married a long time will do that to ya. Ya get used to your wife understanding you so well that you don't have to any more.

I get what you are saying, however. There are a lot of things I take for granted and tend to blather on without explanation...for those who haven't experienced things which are common to myself and a few others with whom I fish. And I plead guilty to excessive use of "jargon". Must be about as bad as trying to understand a conversation between today's teenagers.

Sorry, I don't have a TubeDude to English dictionary but if any of my ramblings don't make sense to you feel free to ask...on the forum or by PM. The only dumb questions are ones you don't ask and you end up working harder or paying more.

One of the great things about fishing...if you are a true student of the sport...is that you can spend a lifetime learning and still have new things to learn on every trip. And I still learn new things almost every day...and from almost everybody with whom I come into contact.

Now, some of the new things I learn are probably just relearning. As you suggested, I do forget. And the older I get the more I forget. The upside of that is that you make new old friends every day and you can hide your own Easter eggs. Found a couple this year that I had hidden two years ago. Nasty.

Hang in there and keep reading the board...and posting when you can. We have a good group of knowledgeable anglers here who are usually not bashful about sharing insight and experience. As you accumulate knowledge...and posts...you will see others joining in and asking the same things you once asked...and you get to help them. That's the circle of life at BFT.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
If we all knew half of what TubeDude has forgotten, we would all be half as smart as he is.[sly] Just kidding. Lots of knowledgeable tube, yak, boat and bank tanglers on BFT. And in the past year or so, I have picked up several "nuggets" from many of them, met a few in person, and even floated a part of the Upper Bear River with several back in June. Pretty good group, those guys that fly the BFT Flag or have the decals on their vehicles and vessels.
[signature]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
"... decided to invite a few home to the smoker ..."

TubeDude IS the top of the food chain!
[signature]
[#0000FF][#000000][size 3]"TubeDude IS the top of the food chain!"[/size][/#000000][#000000][size 3] [/size][/#000000]

Not exactly. It goes full circle...back to the insects. Skeeters love my blood...especially after I've eaten some smoked catfish.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]