Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mead 8-31-2014
Against everything I usually say/stand for I went fishing on a holiday weekend. I usually do my best to have errands ran and the fridge full before a holiday shows its face. Then stay put till it is over. But... 5 days off was killing me. I already decked out the yard, cleaned house windows, sprayed down the patio and everything on it, gutted the garage and gave it a many many many years overdue mega cleaning and re-organized it... I needed to do something well outside of the house. I was running out of stuff to do anyways...

Large and Small mouth Bass fishing still SUKCS. I am sure somewhere someone is doing good but it certainly isn't me. Not like it has been in years past anyways. Those 80+ fish days this time of year certainly are not happening this year for me. I don't get it. I have no idea where they are. I guess I need to hit up the southern end of the lake one of these days since I am not finding them up north.

Bait galore up north too. Like I have never seen it before. I ran into an incredible amount of HUGE bait balls today. Seems like every pocket/back corner of a cove had a bait ball in it bigger than my boat and I never seen one LMB all day. I don't get it. TONS of food and no LMB/SMB back in there tearing it up. I was about to tear the boat up looking for my cast net and then realized it was home. Figured if I can't find the green and brown fish I'd switch gears to Striper fishing. How it goes.

Anyways... Got a couple small SMB and ran into a HUGE pile of Stripers. So I quickly loaded up on a dozen or so Stripers with cranks for dinner tonight and called it a day. The earliest I have left the lake before. Off the water around noon. I was the 3rd or 4th truck in the lot when I got there before sunrise and when I left there must of been at least a hundred vehicles in the lots. My secondary reason to leave early... I didn't want anything to do with that mess later in the day when all those people would be leaving... Especially being alone I didn't want to mess with the ramp follies that I am sure followed hours after I left.

Like I said in the beginning of this month... This years US Open is going to be the worst ever for competitors. It is going to be some seriously tough and frustrating fishing. I might be wrong but from what I have seen this year all that I can conclude.

Didn't snap too many pics...

Big'un of the day [Wink]

[Image: LakeMead_08-31-14_001.jpg]

Bait balls...

[Image: LakeMead_08-31-14_002.jpg]
[Image: LakeMead_08-31-14_003.jpg]

Poor Echo Marina...

[Image: LakeMead_08-31-14_004.jpg]
[Image: LakeMead_08-31-14_005.jpg]
[Image: LakeMead_08-31-14_007.jpg]
[Image: LakeMead_08-31-14_008.jpg]

Striper zilla...

[Image: LakeMead_08-31-14_009.PNG]
[signature]
I haven't been over to it this year, but if you are up for a drive, you might check out the Greggs Basin area past Temple Bar. I've had some absolutely stellar bass fishing there in the past, and with your report of the North side sucking, you may stumble across something great down there. It's worth a shot.
[signature]
Was pondering that. Painful trip! At least on the backside of the trip and at the gas station. With the lake being lower a more stressful run to get over there too with all the new "islands" out there.
[signature]