Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hip boots?
How well does just a pair if hip boots work on a kick boat? I need some new waders and I am thinking if just gettting some hippers for the pontoon.
[signature]
Haven't tried it, but if you are sitting far enough out of water fully loaded, should be OK. I think they work OK with pontoons which have higher water clearance and tend to be more self bailing in general.

PM

[quote MBM1969]How well does just a pair if hip boots work on a kick boat? I need some new waders and I am thinking if just gettting some hippers for the pontoon.[/quote]
[signature]
All I use since buying my first pontoon some 20 years ago.
I was using the breathable boot foot offered by Orvis, but with bigger foot size, some flippers don't fit.
Now I just use breathable Dan Baileys stocking foot and my wading boots.
So much quicker, cooler and nicer.
[signature]
If you're floating any rivers, you'll still want chest waders, even if you roll them down to waist-highs. Otherwise, you'll have a wet butt at some point in the day! Not sure about hippers when the wind starts roaring on a lake either. I'd suspect you'd take a wave at some point. I've done that on large flat rivers when the wind kicks up a chop. I've been fishing from frameless Scadden's lately. Framed pontoons before that. The seat sometimes gets wet on both.
[signature]
I use the Dan Bailey hippers about 50% of the time.

When it's hot they are cooler, but your rear end can get wet. Not a big deal if weather is pleasant. Their biggest advantage is when it comes time to take a leak - way easier than chest waders.

I wear chest waders on any river or when I think it will be cold or very windy on the lake, but I prefer wearing the hippers.

If you can keep your seat dry or don't mind a little water on your hind end, then hippers are awesome.
[signature]
Good points, kanders.
I get additional wet rear end with waders compared to hip boots because of sweating - though I won't be soaked like when a wave hits. Poor ventilation when you're sitting and leaning back on the "breathable" surface, which keeps the sweat in.

I like to wear hiking pants that have zip off leg sections. They repel water to some extent and are breathable enough to vent some sweat. Plus they give some sun protection with comfort during the Summer. Another thing that helps is a vinyl coated seat cushion because it stops wicking and water rolls off so you are not sitting in a puddle when a wave hits.

Hope this helps.

PM

[quote kandersonSLC]I use the Dan Bailey hippers about 50% of the time.

When it's hot they are cooler, but your rear end can get wet. Not a big deal if weather is pleasant. Their biggest advantage is when it comes time to take a leak - way easier than chest waders.

I wear chest waders on any river or when I think it will be cold or very windy on the lake, but I prefer wearing the hippers.

If you can keep your seat dry or don't mind a little water on your hind end, then hippers are awesome.[/quote]
[signature]
My Assault, Renegade, Predator I agree, bum "can" get wet. Framed Pontoon.....never. Maybe a splash. Even on my 12" diameter Cardiac Canyon. You ride over the waves.
White water on rivers I can see a wet rear or lap and I would wear chest waders too, but more for the get out of the boat river fishing.
But I have fished 5' waves on Henry's and Strawberry and no water on the seat. on any of my pontoons.

I wear waist highs for rainy fishing and it is good if you lay fish in your lap, but Hippers work just fine for me.

But to help with this decision, GOOD breathable hip waders are going to cost you over $100. even with no boot attached. This is a BIG reason not more use them.
[signature]