Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ICE EYE's Curtisfish!
I hear there is ice at starvation, and they are catching the walleye.

Curtisfish, can you confirm safe ice? Have you been over there latley?

As soon as the entire lake is froze, I am making a trip down there for walleye through the ice if any of you BFT'ers are interested.

Same deal as what we did at fish lake last year, stay in one of the three hotels in duchesne, eat at the local resturant, fish the heck out of the eyes for a couple days.

I saw on the DWR site that just before christmas the bays were froze good enough to fish, and that guys were fishing it, but there were still patches of open water.

Looking for current info. Would like for guys to be able to take wheelers down there, last time we went down wheelers were nice on the ice since starvation is long and skinny.

I may have to call down to the state parks office there at starvation tommorow. See what they have to say.

But since curtis fish lives right there I figure he may have some info.

anyone else heard anything?
[signature]
It would be great to get some 'eyes through the ice. Years ago we used to get them that way up at Willard. Do you have any tentative dates?
[signature]
Now that is something I would like to do . Never caught walleye thru the ice , but dying to try . ATV is almost ready to go too .
[signature]
That is one fish I have never caught - hard water or no! I'd love to tag along, if possible. I like the accessibility/proximity factor, too. Maybe if it goes south there, we could hit Moon Lake with snowmobiles. Nah, as Harry Carey used to say "There's a drive!"[cool]
[signature]
[#800000][size 2]Mike, I'm off next week. Hint,hint,hint[cool]. [/size][/#800000]
[signature]
Killer bee, two years ago willard froze up for a couple weeks good enough to ice fish on. I hit it with rainbow sparkle once, and skeeter2 a couple times chasing the walleye. Or a wiper, whatever wanted to bite.

Willard has had an ice sheet on it for a couple weeks now, but there still open water patches, and it looks really crappy. I am wishing like mad it would freeze up over on willard.

As for dates on starvation, I am just waiting to get a report of 4 inches of ice or more on the main lake.

I have made a couple one day trips down there, and its too far a drive for me to do in one day round trip, so I will be doing the hotel thing. Nothing worse than getting up at 2:00 am driving for 3 hrs, fishing all day then driving home at night.
[signature]
I called down to starvation state parks dept. 435 738 2326

There message said they have ice in varying thickness across the entire resivior. And to check thickness regularly.

No one was around to talk to in person so who knows how current the info is.

I will try again later. if anyone gets a hold of them, and talks to someon in person, post up what the ice thickness is, and where guys have been getting into fish.
[signature]
I'm game around the first of Feb.
[signature]
I finally got a minute to gete on the board. In passing the lake (driving over the bridge), it looks like the main bays are not safe. The back bays are thicker, but I haven't gone myself. I will make a trip over there no later than Sunday to check on the bays around the dam and I will let you know what I find. I also have a co-worker that lives right above Rabbit Gultch. I'll check with her also.
[signature]
I talked to the park ranger at Starvation yesterday. He says the main channel froze up about three days ago. The bays and around the dam have been frozen for weeks. Me and my two fishin buddies are heading up in an hour. We're leaving the four wheeler home today. Just a recon mission.

We will fish as much area as we can. Never fished Starvation during hard water, but we have a pretty good plan of attack if the weather isn't too bad and we can get there. 40 was closed yesterday. Hope it's plowed and open this morning.

walleyebob
[signature]
[#000080][size 2]Hey Bob, let me know how your recon goes. I have this next week off and would like a shot at some "eyes". Good luck [cool][/size][/#000080]
[signature]
Hey Bob, where have you been ?? I'll call you monday night to find out how you did. I'm headed up there on tuesday. later chuck
[signature]