Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kokanee spawn article 9-9-14
[#0000FF]Brett Prettyman had a great writeup in this morning's Salt Lake Tribune on the koke spawn. [url "http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58379263-78/creek-salmon-sheep-fish.html.csp"]LINK TO ARTICLE[/url] The article has several nice pics and a link to a video of kokes in Sheep Creek on the Gorge. Also mention of some public viewing events.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Hey Pat, thanks for the tip, good article and I wish the Porcupine Kokes were as big as that Sheep Creek one pictured... Who needs to go to Alaska with kokes that size... Guess we still need our halibut though... Any word on walleye feeding frenzies yet? Got my hay planted, now if I cut a little hay I'll almost be caught up to go fish... Later J
[signature]
Am I the only one entertained by comments about the DNR "interfering with nature" .... in a reservoir?
[signature]
Well, there is a tiny bit of irony there, considering reservoirs are manmade. But as that comes from the comments section, one has to expect whacknut statements from both ends of the bell curve.
[signature]
[#0000FF]Yeah, it would be nice to find an abundant source of big kokes close to home. Halibut too, but I don't think DWR would even try planting them in Salt Lake. The brine shrimp would eat them all.

The walleyes are waiting for a sharp downturn in water temps to trigger the fall feed. Right around the corner. Traditionally it gets started around the middle of September and can be pretty good all through October and into November. Different every year depending on weather and water levels.

I'll probably be trying a shot at Lincoln Beach later this week...and maybe Willard in a week or so. The only problem is that the fish operate on their schedules...not on the wishes of fishermen.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Pat sounds good on your time line, if you don't mind, flag me ahead of the Willard trip and I'd like to join ya. I'll try to drag the boat and toon in case you'd like to try a fast troll for wipers to finish the day. Hope the weather settles into a nice pattern that will get the fish a little more predictable. Later J
[signature]
[#0000FF]As the water gets colder the walleye get more active, but the wipers become less active. Fast trolling does not work as well once the water temps cool toward 60. In fact, in murky water at low levels we often do better with jig and bait combos than by trolling. But a slow drag of bottom bouncers...with crawler...will get all species if you hit it right.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I haven't had a chance to do much bottom bouncing this year and I enjoy that mode of fishing. I'll make sure I have my tackle for either mode. J
[signature]